Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unplug Dashcams before going to Service!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Drone Flyer

Feb 22, 2016
Canada
Make sure you unplug these devices before leaving vehicle for service as the techs will just yank the cables out and damage them, as was the case with me. These cables are very delicate and should be put in carefully and pulled out the same way.
I had to purchase a new cable because the connector got damaged.
Thanks to Mr. Elbe for helping out.

I've wondered if it would also be a good idea to tape warning messages about the presence of the cam(s) in the windshield and rear hatch window, to make service personnel aware of them? And I'd *certainly* mention it to the person who takes in the car at the shop.

Make sure you unplug these devices before leaving vehicle for service as the techs will just yank the cables out and damage them, as was the case with me. These cables are very delicate and should be put in carefully and pulled out the same way.
I had to purchase a new cable because the connector got damaged.
Thanks to Mr. Elbe for helping out.
I was wondering why mine is unplugged every time I get the yearly service. I have an extension cord from the 12 Volt plug going under the passenger seat, which allows me to plug in the cord from the dashcam that sits behind the rear view mirror. I have routed the dashcam cord around the edge of the glass and behind the flashing on the door, to under the seat, so I was assuming that they needed to check the seat mechanism and had to unplug it. Do they unplug every dashcam?

Do they unplug every dashcam?

Not for me. I've had my car in for servicing a handful of times in three different service centers, and nobody's ever unplugged my dashcam.

My WAG is that it depends on the service center and maybe even the individual technician.

@berkeley_ecar: The way I figure it, leaving notes for the techs and mentioning it up-front can't hurt. Maybe I should start doing that, although of course I'm hoping to *not* have a lot of service visits.

Bruce.

My dash cams have been unplugged by service the few times I've left the cars and it's understandable they do it, along with disengaging remote app features. The OP makes a good point, so I'll try to remember to do it myself.

Yes, it's happened to me, but I sure wish they'd use 2 ounces of brain power to realize that if you unplug the *power* cable, you don't also have to unplug all the camera (front/rear) and/or GPS cables as well. Luckily none of my cables were damaged, but seriously, give it two seconds of thought before yanking out everything in sight.

Next time I go in, I'll just do it myself.

Reactions: Barry
I unplugged the power to both my front and rear Blackvue assuming they wouldn't touch it. Nope, they unplugged the rear camera coax even though it wasn't powered. I was a bit peeved since that coax connection is delicate and it took me a while to route it, so if I had to replace it I would be angry.

Next time I may leave a note saying the rear camera is not powered and to not touch it.

Tesla can not allow private videotaping of employees without their knowledge, and there is the risk of proprietary equipment and technology they would not wish to be made public.

Just a while ago an employed at the factory went around videotaping other employees and spewing racist comments that ended up in court.

Even on factory tours they announce no photography or video's allowed inside the factory.

Imagine that you might feel the same way if people set up video taping equipment inside your home to video your private moments.

Reactions: bonnie
I was wondering why mine is unplugged every time I get the yearly service. I have an extension cord from the 12 Volt plug going under the passenger seat, which allows me to plug in the cord from the dashcam that sits behind the rear view mirror. I have routed the dashcam cord around the edge of the glass and behind the flashing on the door, to under the seat, so I was assuming that they needed to check the seat mechanism and had to unplug it. Do they unplug every dashcam?
Yes, for privacy issues. They don't want you to see them picking their noses while they work etc. LOL!
But yes, it is for privacy and legal reasons.

Yes, for privacy issues. They don't want you to see them picking their noses while they work etc. LOL!
But yes, it is for privacy and legal reasons.
Now I understand. I work in an Operating room and if people heard the banter on a video recording they might take it amiss; even if 99 percent is innocent one could edit all that out and make it look much worse than it is. I would rather the techs concentrate on my vehicle than on what they are saying. I really don't blame them at all for unplugging. Next time, if I remember, I will unplug it myself, though probably won't remember since I just had my yearly service call last week.

Thanks to all for highlighting this - when I bring my X into service, I'll make a point of putting blue tape in front of both cams to block any view and ask them to please not unplug (or if they do, only the power cable). Bright blue tape should be a good reminder to them that the cam cannot record their actions.

I don't blame them for shutting off cams and the Tesla app. I wouldn't want customers anxiously watching my every move. I'd like to think I wouldn't do that, but when my dashcam and protective film were being installed, I knew every hour my vehicle was sitting there with nothing happening.