Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unplug Dashcams before going to Service!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They only disconnected mine when it said an impact was detected in parking mode. Don't care if they disconnect it as long as they do it with care and plug it back in. I wouldn't even notice, rather I am tempted to check the footage only if it gets disconnected.

Would they disconnect if someone were to use one of these: BlackVue DR650/DR550 Tamperproof Case for Front Camera
They will NEVER plug it back in! Do yourself a big favour and unplug all the cables to both cameras before you bring it in.
And be very careful as these connections are very fragile!

Would they disconnect if someone were to use one of these:
BlackVue DR650/DR550 Tamperproof Case for Front Camera
They would still be able to disconnect the source, like the fuse box tap
(that you might use for not altering any of the wiring).

However, using a tamper proof would limit the ability to disconnect the dash cam
or to remove, or re-format, the SD card.

In particular, I'd like getting the recording any driving made by a mechanic technician
or any valet parking clerk, such as the speed or any joyride or abuse.

Don't know about you guys but when we finished our install the guys gave us our Blackvue box back along with the lens caps for the front and rear cameras. Thinking maybe of using those caps (leaving them in the glove box) and putting blue tape over the outside of them so it's really obvious with them on the cameras that the camera view is blocked and ask them if they are good with that instead of disconnecting the wires and risk stressing them.

They still wouldn't want audio recorded.

While I'm guessing this isn't top-down corporate policy, it seems like a pretty universal procedure.

I personally wouldn't bother with tape or notes or anything like that. If you value your equipment and cables, just disconnect them yourself before service, and reconnect afterwards.

If I were a tech and the cameras were taped over or lens capped, I'd still disconnect them. There are so many variations of cameras, cables, GPS antennas, remote radar detectors, power sources, etc, that the techs just don't have time to figure out which cables go where. Is this the power cable, or the GPS cable? Is this cable the same cable that goes to the rear camera? Does the rear camera have a separate recording unit? etc, etc, etc.

Just face it folks, no matter what you do, they're STILL going to pull all the cables just to be sure. If you don't want them broken or wo/man-handled, just do it yourself and not worry about it.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
In many states, recording audio without someone's explicit consent is illegal. Doesn't matter if it's inside your property. So them disconnecting a dashcam is actually protecting you from committing a felony, and just covering the lenses doesn't resolve this.

Technically, dropping your car off with a valet with a dashcam is a felony in these states unless you disable it, even if you tell them since someone else may drive your car.

I was advised from day one to power down. I also go one step further and remove the cameras. In fact I leave nothing in my car at all. They alway find a pen or something. The cameras are one fight I don't want have. I get along nicely with these guys and I want to keep it that way.

Just found this...want to add that I got my car back from the Palo Alto location, they unplugged my dash cam as well as removed the usb stick that does the teslacam...
But lack the brain or discipline to put either back...sigh...

They still wouldn't want audio recorded.

While I'm guessing this isn't top-down corporate policy, it seems like a pretty universal procedure.

I personally wouldn't bother with tape or notes or anything like that. If you value your equipment and cables, just disconnect them yourself before service, and reconnect afterwards.

If I were a tech and the cameras were taped over or lens capped, I'd still disconnect them. There are so many variations of cameras, cables, GPS antennas, remote radar detectors, power sources, etc, that the techs just don't have time to figure out which cables go where. Is this the power cable, or the GPS cable? Is this cable the same cable that goes to the rear camera? Does the rear camera have a separate recording unit? etc, etc, etc.

Just face it folks, no matter what you do, they're STILL going to pull all the cables just to be sure. If you don't want them broken or wo/man-handled, just do it yourself and not worry about it.

The location in Atlanta disconnected mines. On the way home I noticed a windshield cracked. I suspected that it came from a previous chip toward the bottom of the windshield. I wanted to see the dash cam to tell me how it happened and when. That's when I discovered that the dash cam was unplugged the next day. If I was in a accident I would be really mad that Tesla did not reconnect it or at least tell me they were going to disconnect it.

What I've taken to doing is explicitly telling the service advisor/tech, "Hey just FYI there's a dash cam on my car, and I'm unplugging it NOW," and disconnecting it in front of them, so they can positively see that I've done it, and they don't need to (try to) do anything else. They'll usually just say, "OK, thanks" and we move on.

I have a checklist of things to do after service, and "reconnect dashcam and check functioning" is on it. (So is checking for remote access.)

Bruce.

PS. As I wrote in an earlier post, this fortunately is not something I need to do often!