Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unplugged by another S owner... Tysions Corner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I definitely would have unplugged the other car... I might have even hidden their 14-50 adapter somewhere along with a trail of breadcrumbs. Turnabout is fair play in my book. I admire those of you who have cooler heads and calmer dispositions. That's just not me. This was an act of disrespect, plain and simple. I can't imagine any innocent situation that would require someone to put their hands on someone else's private, personal property to unplug. Not cool. If you do something like that, you deserves what you gets.

Anyone contemplating this, please take note of my license plate shown to the left under my screen name. If you do something like that to me, you'll learn a lesson quickly. And I don't hold back.

How does this work? The charge port will lock when the car locks. Not the charge port door, the port itself.

The other owner left his charge port open. I was wondering why it was open at first, but when I saw the note, it made sense.

Also, on the G+ group many people are saying the port will open if you press the button on the cable. Doesn't seem to work for me unless the car is unlocked though.

The other owner left his charge port open. I was wondering why it was open at first, but when I saw the note, it made sense.

Also, on the G+ group many people are saying the port will open if you press the button on the cable. Doesn't seem to work for me unless the car is unlocked though.

I'll have to try this again. In my last experiment the charge port door might be open, but the locking pin inside was in the locked position which would not allow you to plug in. Further, with the D's and the auto closing door, it closes if you don't plug in after ~30 secs or so.

I think many of you are rushing to judgement without knowing what was going on with the other driver. I agree he/she should have left a note if unplugging someone's UMC which is a bad thing to do at 40A. But he was from out of state, possibly so low that he wasn't sure he could make it to the supercharger, might have thought it was a demo car, and/or might have mistakenly thought your car was no longer charging.

I charged at Tyson's once on a long trip using their Roadster HPWC (which was replaced a week later with a Model S HPWC). I called ahead and was told to "go ahead and plug in, even if you have to unplug another car that's using it." Pretty sure they had demos at that time and that's what he was referring to. I was badly in need of a charge. I left a note on my car and would have left a note on any car I unplugged.

Simply put:
No.
Unplugging someone else's car is not cool, in fact it is highly uncivilized.

Under NO circumstances should this have occurred, especially without leaving a note.
Probably less than 10% of Model S owners are actually on this Forum, and actions like this are a very poor reflection on EV enthusiasts everywhere and Model S owners specifically.

Being from out of state or being in a hurry is NOT a valid reason to unplug someone else's car.
Ever.

Learn a bit of courtesy, wait your turn, at the very least leave a note and learn to apologize.
Making excuses for other people's poor behavior will just enable them to do it again.
Learn the Golden Rule and Live it: "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you." (Yes, I am a PK).

This is not a "rush to judgement", we ALL should act with common courtesy and respect for other's time and property.

Simply put:
No.
Unplugging someone else's car is not cool, in fact it is highly uncivilized.

Under NO circumstances should this have occurred, especially without leaving a note.
Probably less than 10% of Model S owners are actually on this Forum, and actions like this are a very poor reflection on EV enthusiasts everywhere and Model S owners specifically.

Being from out of state or being in a hurry is NOT a valid reason to unplug someone else's car.
Ever.

Learn a bit of courtesy, wait your turn, at the very least leave a note and learn to apologize.
Making excuses for other people's poor behavior will just enable them to do it again.
Learn the Golden Rule and Live it: "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you." (Yes, I am a PK).

This is not a "rush to judgement", we ALL should act with common courtesy and respect for other's time and property.
Ok, so isn't it also common courtesy to leave a note with a number if you are going to leave your vehicle unattended? Two wrongs don't make a right, but if the vehicle is charged or nearly so, and I am in true need of a charge, I'm unplugging. and you know what, if I leave my vehicle unattended and it's done charging and someone needs a charge, I'd fully expect them to unplug me too.

All this absolutism about "never" unplug is just crazy. 99% of us couldn't care less if it is done respectfully, a note is left, and the courtesy to assure that we are done or nearly done charging before unplugging.

Ok, so isn't it also common courtesy to leave a note with a number if you are going to leave your vehicle unattended? Two wrongs don't make a right, but if the vehicle is charged or nearly so, and I am in true need of a charge, I'm unplugging. and you know what, if I leave my vehicle unattended and it's done charging and someone needs a charge, I'd fully expect them to unplug me too.

All this absolutism about "never" unplug is just crazy. 99% of us couldn't care less if it is done respectfully, a note is left, and the courtesy to assure that we are done or nearly done charging before unplugging.

Okay, IF the OP had reached a full charge, MAYBE.
But simply believing the original car was fully charged does not make it so.
The offending party had no way to "KNOW" if the other car was fully charged or not.
As stated earlier, the OP's car was only 50% charged when he was unplugged.
That is the crux of the matter.
All the "assumptions" are what get people in a heap of trouble.

Since the OP left his car, he could have left a note on his dash with a telephone and the time he left.

Taking your logic one stop further however, the offending party should have left TWO notes.
One, apologizing profusely on the OP's car: "I am extremely sorry. I hope your car was fully charged and I removed the plug so I could begin charging. I hope I have not inconvenienced you"
That way he takes responsibility for his actions.
A second note on HIS dash with HIS telephone number and time he started his charge.
And in doing so, he also opens the line of communication in case he had wronged another human being.
Otherwise any other (3rd or 4th...) car could come up and do the same thing to him: unplug the NY car and begin a third car's charging.
And the cycle repeats itself ad nauseam.

Do NO harm.
Treat others with the same regard as to how you would like to be treated.

Treat everyone well, and there are no disagreements.
Start bending the rules in a selfish manner for your own benefit and to the detriment of others, and the Whole World resorts back to being like the Old West.

Okay, IF the OP had reached a full charge, MAYBE.
But simply believing the original car was fully charged does not make it so.
The offending party had no way to "KNOW" if the other car was fully charged or not.
As stated earlier, the OP's car was only 50% charged when he was unplugged.
That is the crux of the matter.
All the "assumptions" are what get people in a heap of trouble.

Since the OP left his car, he could have left a note on his dash with a telephone and the time he left.

Taking your logic one stop further however, the offending party should have left TWO notes.
One, apologizing profusely on the OP's car: "I am extremely sorry. I hope your car was fully charged and I removed the plug so I could begin charging. I hope I have not inconvenienced you"
That way he takes responsibility for his actions.
A second note on HIS dash with HIS telephone number and time he started his charge.
And in doing so, he also opens the line of communication in case he had wronged another human being.
Otherwise any other (3rd or 4th...) car could come up and do the same thing to him: unplug the NY car and begin a third car's charging.
And the cycle repeats itself ad nauseam.

Do NO harm.
Treat others with the same regard as to how you would like to be treated.

Treat everyone well, and there are no disagreements.
Start bending the rules in a selfish manner for your own benefit and to the detriment of others, and the Whole World resorts back to being like the Old West.
I think we agree more that we disagree on this. But I'll make no apologies for unplugging others when absolutely necessary. And you can tell when someone is completely charged on almost any type of charger. The UMC, for instance, will stop showing the green LED "flow" when fully charged. Most J1772 have some sort of indicator as to whether there is active charging going on. Some cars, such as the Volt, have a dash indicator that's lit when charging.

But, again, it is no more or less selfish for me to unplug someone than for them to neglect to leave a note when they leave a vehicle unattended. I'm not going out to inconvenience anyone and am more than happy to wait my turn, but to have someone tie up a charger for extended times just so I don't unplug them by your rule, no freaking way.

This is a brave new world we're navigating here. I ordered 10 of those little hangers the other day. I have the app with the QR code and a little sign I keep in my car. I have some "Tesla" business cards that I write my phone number on and leave on my car or on a car that I've unplugged. I'm not wholly without manners here, but just because my chosen way of dealing with this new 1st world problem differs from yours doesn't make it any more or less 'right'.

I think many of you are rushing to judgement without knowing what was going on with the other driver.

That's the point. We don't know, because the other driver opted to not inform us.

Thus, even if there were seemingly extenuating circumstances, taking the action without benefit of an explanation is in and of itself uncool, even if the underlying reasons were justified[1].

[1] Although I do make a bit of an exception if the person was told by a Tesla Gallery employee they could unplug an existing car, in which case they may have assumed the car was a gallery car... however in many cases it would seem rather obvious if a car was a privately owned one...

I'll have to try this again. In my last experiment the charge port door might be open, but the locking pin inside was in the locked position which would not allow you to plug in. Further, with the D's and the auto closing door, it closes if you don't plug in after ~30 secs or so.

Yeah, thats been my experience. I have non idea how the owner next to me accomplished this.

The port was open, it was blinking green like its ready to be plugged in. Is it possible they simply just opened the port + unlocked their car?

That looks like it could work. For a Tesla only site, I think the approach I suggested upthread incorporating it into the car's firmware is a better choice, with less effort and more results - but it relies on having the car's WiFi and mobile app available, so something like ChargeBump will be more effective at a public site populated by a bunch of makes since it has no requirements for car hardware.
Walter