Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unplugged by another S owner... Tysions Corner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This thread and others just seem to be beating a dead horse.

The people who unplug others, park ICE vehicles at superchargers, etc and the like aren't going to change their ways. The person who unplugged the OP's UMC likely wouldn't have called beforehand even if there was contact info, likely didn't care if the car they unplugged was charged or not charged, yet probably would have raised hell if they were unplugged. They won't use the courtesy app mentioned above, and won't care in general whether or not you needed the charge or not.

It was probably this guy:
e72b0cf8dcfd26fddeecdeee8a536521972db15522f72702dbbe94911fabd973.jpg

Seems like something we're just going to have to deal with for the time being.

This thread and others just seem to be beating a dead horse.

The people who unplug others, park ICE vehicles at superchargers, etc and the like aren't going to change their ways. The person who unplugged the OP's UMC likely wouldn't have called beforehand even if there was contact info, likely didn't care if the car they unplugged was charged or not charged, yet probably would have raised hell if they were unplugged. They won't use the courtesy app mentioned above, and won't care in general whether or not you needed the charge or not.

It was probably this guy:
View attachment 73064

Seems like something we're just going to have to deal with for the time being.
You might be correct but for now I will take the position that if they were educated about EV's and the future they might not do what they are doing. If I see something like we have talked about I will try to leave a note or discuss and inform them, they will either change or continue being an idiot. I do realize that in this world we have become a "what's in it for me society" and nothing will change some people.

Yeah, thats been my experience. I have non idea how the owner next to me accomplished this.

The port was open, it was blinking green like its ready to be plugged in. Is it possible they simply just opened the port + unlocked their car?

Wait, your charge port blinks green before you plug in and start charging? I've never seen mine blink green until plugged in and active charging begins.

[update: my Sig 85 on .140 exhibits different behavior than my P85D on .167. The S85 sequence is this: open charge port door with charging wand button; port light ring starts a slow blink white; plug in charging wand; light ring goes dark, then blue, then flashing green as charging begins; lock the car and the port ring goes dark. The P85D sequence: use charging wand to open the charge port door; port light ring turns on solid white; plug in; light ring goes blue, then flashing green as charging begins (or solid green if all is OK but no charging is needed); lock the car and the port ring stays lit for a period of time (I haven't measured it), then goes dark.

@Andrewket: the new, powered charge port doors can be opened manually at any time by pressing on the aft edge, behind the hinge point; there's no magnet lock like there is on the earlier design. This does not unlock the port itself, of course.

I almost always leave a note with my number on the dash whenever I charge in public so I can be contacted. I rarely see other vehicles with the same. All of the leaving note and app solutions mentioned require active voluntary participation to work and unfortunately, most folks just seem too focused on their mission of the moment to be bothered. I think infrastructure is the only real solution, ensuring there are 10-20% more charging points available than typically needed so we don't have to rely on luck or the kindness of strangers to get to our next destination.

the new, powered charge port doors can be opened manually at any time by pressing on the aft edge, behind the hinge point; there's no magnet lock like there is on the earlier design. This does not unlock the port itself, of course.

They still use the actuator to open when they're pressed. I don't believe it will respond to a touch when locked and no fob. Pretty sure I tried this, but I'll try again next time I head to the garage.

@Andrewket: the new, powered charge port doors can be opened manually at any time by pressing on the aft edge, behind the hinge point; there's no magnet lock like there is on the earlier design. This does not unlock the port itself, of course.

Which just adds the confusion a bit. Great, you can open the port cover, but if the port itself is locked it's moot.

While not a fix for poor manners, I do think EVSEs with multiple heads will help. One power source, but it allows 2,3,4 cars to plug in at the same time and rotates who is receiving current in the order the cars were plugged in. If you want to get more advanced, have a method for the driver to tell the EVSE when they are planning on leaving to optimize priority. Airports especially I think could benefit from such a device. It would enable up to 4x cars (or more) to charge and not require any additional infrastructure/power feed enhancements. I will frequently leave from IAD on a Tuesday and I will see the same car plugged in on Friday when I return. Think about the number of additional cars that could charge during that time frame with such a device.

Who's going into business with me? We should just go build this.

Last edited:
They still use the actuator to open when they're pressed. I don't believe it will respond to a touch when locked and no fob. Pretty sure I tried this, but I'll try again next time I head to the garage.

I'll save you the trouble: I just walked out to the garage to verify my claim. There is no lock on the charge port door and you can manually open it at any time, whether or not the car is locked. There's some kind of slip clutch in the actuator mechanism, I guess. Or maybe I'm just spinning the actuator motor.

I'll save you the trouble: I just walked out to the garage to verify my claim. There is no lock on the charge port door and you can manually open it at any time, whether or not the car is locked. There's some kind of slip clutch in the actuator mechanism, I guess. Or maybe I'm just spinning the actuator motor.

Are you prying it open or pushing it to get it to open?

Edit: Just checked. Definitely does not open with a push when locked. It seems somewhat easy to pull it open if you can get your finger around the edge, but I didn't pull it all the way for fear of damaging something. It opens when the button on the HPWC is pressed while locked.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this yet, but you can see if a Model S is actively charging simply by pressing the button on the charge handle. This will light up the charge port and if it's flashing, the car is charging. Anyone can do this to anyone else's Model S, no key is required.

Are you prying it open or pushing it to get it to open?

Edit: Just checked. Definitely does not open with a push when locked. It seems somewhat easy to pull it open if you can get your finger around the edge, but I didn't pull it all the way for fear of damaging something. It opens when the button on the HPWC is pressed while locked.

Maybe something's broken on my car, then: a gentle push on the aft edge of the door and mine pops open against only light resistance.

Maybe something's broken on my car, then: a gentle push on the aft edge of the door and mine pops open against only light resistance.

Mine is the same way. DS even pointed out that you could do that to me at delivery but didn't recommend doing it because people have broken their charge port doors doing it. The D door is much easier to force open than the old one because I remember poking at my old one trying to get it to open and that magnet is hard to overwhelm.

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this yet, but you can see if a Model S is actively charging simply by pressing the button on the charge handle. This will light up the charge port and if it's flashing, the car is charging. Anyone can do this to anyone else's Model S, no key is required.

In my experience this actually causes the contactor in the EVSE to open and charging stops. If the car is locked the locking pin will prohibit unplugging. As soon as you let go of the button charging will resume.

Ok, so isn't it also common courtesy to leave a note with a number if you are going to leave your vehicle unattended? Two wrongs don't make a right, but if the vehicle is charged or nearly so, and I am in true need of a charge, I'm unplugging. and you know what, if I leave my vehicle unattended and it's done charging and someone needs a charge, I'd fully expect them to unplug me too.

All this absolutism about "never" unplug is just crazy. 99% of us couldn't care less if it is done respectfully, a note is left, and the courtesy to assure that we are done or nearly done charging before unplugging.

I agree 100%, and with your previous post, too. Fundamentalism, or absolutism as you call it will never work in charging etiquette. I always leave a note on my car whether I can be unplugged and how to reach me. I suggest out of courtesy that everybody do this.

I agree 100%, and ... absolutism as you call it will never work ...
I see what you did there :)

- - - Updated - - -

... pressing the button on the charge handle. This will light up the charge port and if it's flashing, the car is charging. Anyone can do this to anyone else's Model S, no key is required.
This will also ping the Model S App with a message "Charging Has Been Interrupted" which is what prompted the OP to leave dinner.
Disclaimer: may not occur on non-iOS instances of the app

If indeed I ever become a Perp, and its only a matter of time before I do, I'll leave a note saying either:

- Quick run to Tesla Store to ask

- Quick run to Rest Room

- Quick walk for my Dog

- Quick run for Take Out

Note: the last one can NOT include the usual line of ~25 people at an In-N-Out Burger joint ! ! :crying:
--

Last edited: