Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unplugged by another S owner...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scaesare

Mar 14, 2013
NoVA
Checking out of the Richmond Omni hotel this morning for a 350 mile trip going from Norfolk and then back home. Plugged in last evening, and had Max charge scheduled to start during early morning so it would end just before we had to get on the road at 10am or so.

Checked the phone app this morning when I awoke to find not only was I not charging, I wasn't plugged in.

Went to the parking garage to see another Model S parked next to me, and they were plugged in instead. A woman was walking away from the car. I asked if they had unplugged me, and she told me her husband had "as he thought I wasn't charging". I let her know I was leaving in a couple of hours and that I had scheduled a charge and asked if I could please have the cable back. I plugged in.

She apologized, which I appreciate, but that was uncool. Given that my experience is that my Model S "goes dark" while charging and/or folks have scheduled charging available, I'm not sure it's a safe assumption that you should just take the liberty of unplugging folks.

I've deliberately NOT plugged in for the duration of my stay, simply because I didn't need it so other's could (and several have). I'd hope for similar courtesy. I didn't think I'd need to purchase the J1772 locking ring for protection against other Model S owners, but maybe I'll go ahead and order one.

And incidentally, from the license plate it's another member here, If I recall correctly...

:crying:

If the charging socket is dark, and I needed a charge, I would have assumed that the charging was finished also and unplugged the car myself. But if the car was actively charging, you're right - it wasn't cool to unplug it.

Edit: Nevermind, the socket is evidently dark whether it's charging or not when the car is locked.

Last edited:
If the charging socket is dark, and I needed a charge, I would have assumed that the charging was finished also and unplugged the car myself.

There should also be some sort of indicator light on the charger (not the car) that would indicate if the unit was indeed charging...

Also - not to be a nit picker here - but wouldn't it have been prudent to start charging immediately rather than scheduling a charge for the early morning? Granted I'm sure the thought of another car coming to charge was not anticipated, but I personally wouldn't have wanted to take the chance and wake up and find that my car hadn't charged. If by morning, some vampire loss had occurred, you can always do a top-off before you leave.

Also - charging to max range and having it hold that charge - even for 24 hours, really won't hurt the battery - it's much longer durations that will do that...

Ultimately though, I would personally NEVER unplug another car on the assumption that they are done charging - I would attempt to find the owner and ask permission.

Aaron

If the charging socket is dark, and I needed a charge, I would have assumed that the charging was finished also and unplugged the car myself. But if the car was actively charging, you're right - it wasn't cool to unplug it.

Doesn't it go dark once the car is locked? I've come out to my garage to see the port dark myself.

I agree. When traveling, charge when you can. By scheduling a charge for late morning, you are blocking that EVSE for a few more hours extra but not charging. If you are worried about doing a range charge and letting it sit there, you could always do a 90% charge on plug in and then finish the charge in the morning. If your charge hadn't started yet they might have genuinely thought you were done charging.

Add another charge when you can. Leaving yourself plugged in all night without charging ties up the station needlessly. It does stink to be unplugged. I'd leave a contact card visible so people can contact you before unplugging.

I agree. When traveling, charge when you can. By scheduling a charge for late morning, you are blocking that EVSE for a few more hours extra but not charging. If you are worried about doing a range charge and letting it sit there, you could always do a 90% charge on plug in and then finish the charge in the morning. If your charge hadn't started yet they might have genuinely thought you were done charging.

Yep, this. If you're charging away from home, blocking a charger without charging is about as uncool as unplugging someone else without permission.

My scheduled charge made very little difference in the overall timing, a couple of hours at most as I got in late last night. I went down at 8am or so, and the charge should have been in-progress so I'm not sure what time I was unplugged, but unless it was quite a bit earlier, the charger should have indicated activity.

I'd not unplug another car that clearly was plugged in and perhaps leaving, as morning at a hotel is often when cars leave/check out. As a matter of fact I'd be hard pressed to take the liberty of unplugging another car uninvited, period.

The points about charging when you can are good ones, though, as you don't know what you will run in to. I also need to make my "contact placards" so people can call me if they need the charger. I'd like to make sure to be courteous... and perhaps that will also discourage others from taking liberties...

Sounds like a good way to do it. Even if it is only 2 or 3 hours charging on plug in before you go to sleep while traveling it is always a good idea. You are standing right next to the car and can see that it actually started charging first which is nice. You've also gained an addition 40-60 miles of range during that time so if something happens to the power or someone does unplug you in the morning on purpose or without thinking at least you have that extra range on your trip while you figure out what to do next. Most people if they see a sign 'please do not unplug until 8AM' will likely follow that.

How much rated range did you start with and how much did you have in the morning? I assume it was a 30A EVSE so you should be able to figure out about when the car was unplugged.

Last edited:
Hi,
I think it's really important the Model S owners use charge placards on the dash to indicate charging requirements and include a contact number. Several designs of a placard have been suggested but just a piece of paper with a time and phone works just as well.

Courtesy to other drivers has to be paramount as the number of electric vehicles increases. It will be long time before chargers will be common place enough to where one doesn't have to worry about being unplugged.

I share a charger here at work with a plugin Prius. I leave my adapter in the charge port when he is charging and he can plug my car in when finished. Conversely, when I'm done I always plug his car in.

If you go to a place where you need a long charge, put your cellular phonenumber in the windshield and write that "I'm charging the car, please don't unplug". That way you can directly direct them and ask them..WHY did you unplug me? Didn't you see this sign? Why didn't you give me a phonecall?

My approach when travelling and using a public charger is to charge when possible and only leave the car in the EV spot while charging. On some occasions, I have woken up at 2 am in the morning to move my car from the EV spot because I did not want the car to be blocking the EV spot while not charging. Even at 2 am, you can't assume that someone wouldn't pull up and need a charge.

I also would not recommend blocking an EV spot for more than a few minutes while not charging because you can't assume that someone didn't need a charge. Many times, people will be deterred from charging by seeing a car parked and they would have charged if they had the opportunity.

You were inconsiderate for scheduling a charge at a later time and the other person was rude for unplugging your Tesla.

Having had to do this a few times, there are other things to consider. While it is somewhat inconsiderate and ideally the OP should have left a note/placcard regarding his/her plans and contact info, it is not necessarily ideal to immediately charge to a MAX charge and then leave the car sitting like that all night. I probably would have done something similar with getting the car to a high standard range and then timing a top-up just prior to departure so the battery isn't sitting at a max charge for any longer than necessary.

As I said, though, I do leave a note on the car with contact info and some idea what my plan is. We all have somewhat different plans, needs and objectives and need to try to "play nice" by communicating with the limited public charging.

If you plug into a public charger you should start to charge immediately. You can leave a note saying when the charge will be finished. You can indicate that it would be acceptable to unplug when finished or leave a cell phone number.