Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unplugged for 5 days ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my 2018 P110D since July 1 and its been garaged and plugged in every night. Next week I need to take it somewhere where it will be outside, unplugged and not driven for 5 days. Outside temps will be 20-60F. Will this be OK ? Are there any gotchas to this situation that I should be aware of ? My second option is to leave the Tesla in the garage and borrow an ICE for the trip.

EDIT: At the destination, it will have 75% charge.

I usually charge once every 1,5 weeks, so 5 days is no problem. I lose about 1 kWh per day. Now lets do 'worst case scenario', and you lose 5 kWh. Even then it's only 25 kWh. If your SoC is 75% leaving it for 5 days is not a problem at all.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
If you enable the maximum energy savings settings, you should be able to keep loss to 1-3 miles of range per day.

However, that's assuming you are under cover and not exposing the car to high or low temperatures requiring the climate system to engage to manage the battery pack or interior temperatures.

With a 2018, you should have MCU2, so the maximum energy saving settings would be: range mode (on - not sure if this helps while parked), overheat protection (off), smart preconditioning (off), climate system (off). MCU1 vehicles also have energy savings settings on the display settings screen (enable the energy savings, turn off always connected).

You should be OK with a 2018 S P100D for 5 days, even if you park outside in colder temperatures (others are reporting 15 miles of lost range per day).

Though if you're concerned, try doing a test and leave your car parked outside, unplugged, overnight in the colder temperatures and measure how much loss you're seeing per hour - and then use that to extrapolate to your extended outside parking. Since changes can be introduced in software updates, before we plan to park for an extended period, I usually do a test just to confirm we shouldn't have a problem.

And, if you can park under cover, that can help...

However, that's assuming you are under cover and not exposing the car to high or low temperatures requiring the climate system to engage to manage the battery pack or interior temperatures.

You are overthinking this. It is perfectly fine to keep the car for 5 days without it connected to a charger.

Even if you leave all these settings as smart preconditioning, overheat etc on there is no problem. The car won't drain the battery using these features below 20% SoC.

5 days is nothing. I frequently don't charge for 2 to 3 weeks when the weather is nice and I go to work on my bike

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Here's what I experienced with my S75D when I did leave my S75D at Toronto Airport from Feb 14 to Feb 22 in Winter of 2018.
I turned off Always connected, and turned on energy savings. Disconnected any apps that poll the car.
I left with 85% soc. Returned with 82% soc still available . Seems that leaving unplugged at the airport is not an issue for 10 days
I've had my 2018 P110D since July 1 and its been garaged and plugged in every night. Next week I need to take it somewhere where it will be outside, unplugged and not driven for 5 days. Outside temps will be 20-60F. Will this be OK ? Are there any gotchas to this situation that I should be aware of ? My second option is to leave the Tesla in the garage and borrow an ICE for the trip.

• Helpful
Reactions: Electric700

It will be 100% fine, I have done this many, many times since 2013 and have never had a problem.

ETA: I live in Florida but have left my car at the airport in Atlanta in freezing temps for over TEN days.
NEVER A PROBLEM

Last edited:
Reactions: Electric700
Biggest issue would be if you get back and it is 20f the battery and cabin warming are going to likely more than double energy use for the first 10-15 miles then begin to settle. That said if you got there with 75% remaining and did face a cold start you should still be in very good shape to get home.

Thanks everyone. I do have MCU1 (just missed MCU2) and where I have to park is up in the mountains (8500') outside of Boulder CO at a retreat "resort" (ie cabin), parking lot will be uncovered and no way to arrange any plug in. The event starts tomorrow so I won't be able to do both an unplugged test tonight and charge it up enough for the trip. Also, I won't be able to check on it either. No cell phone service there and probably no cellular car service either. There is a land line phone so I wouldn't be totally f'ed if I needed assistance after the 5 days. Daytime highs will be in the high 40s and sunny, nighttime lows in the mid 20s. I'm leaning towards taking the Tesla. I'll make sure energy savings is on and other systems off.