Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unplugged lowered my beast!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ridersinc,

Do you know what products Unplugged used to lower your Model X? I assume they are adjustable lowering links, but please share if you can.

Thanks, and your car looks great!
Hi....they are not links but brackets that relocate sensors in order to adjust the height of the air suspension. I suggest giving @UnpluggedP a shout to get all the details, dependencies, etc.

Thx for the compliment and good luck...it's a great mod!

Cheers!

Reactions: UnpluggedP
Don't know why by unplugged told me that this upgrade is only for 22"

The lowering kit is designed for 22" wheels. You can run the lowering kit with 20's but you just need the service center re-calibrate your Model X for 22" wheels before install. Typically it can be done over the phone with the SC but sometimes they may ask you to bring it in.

Ridersinc,

Do you know what products Unplugged used to lower your Model X? I assume they are adjustable lowering links, but please share if you can.

Thanks, and your car looks great!

The lowering kit is a set of brackets rather than links. In our experience, brackets are preferable to links because they reduce the number of moving parts, chance for installer error or issues with the air suspension if not properly adjusted. You can find more pics and info on our site!

Sports Air Suspension Lowering Kit for Tesla Model X - Unplugged Performance

• Helpful
Reactions: BLKMDL3
Has anyone done it with 20s? I 100% trust Unplugged and really want to do it just want customer experiences and pics. Thanks

Honestly, I don't understand the logic. The circumference of the 20" and 22" wheel should be all that matters and they are the same. Tesla has the feature within the options to change the pretty picture showing our cars, and due to the change in range, I can maybe understand why they will depict the option, but not sure why this is a necessary step for the lowering.

@UnpluggedP can you explain the logic here?

Honestly, I don't understand the logic. The circumference of the 20" and 22" wheel should be all that matters and they are the same. Tesla has the feature within the options to change the pretty picture showing our cars, and due to the change in range, I can maybe understand why they will depict the option, but not sure why this is a necessary step for the lowering.

@UnpluggedP can you explain the logic here?

Both the Model S and Model X come from the factory with the suspension calibrated differently for different wheel sizes. So install without re-calibration may just set the suspension to a different height than desired when lowered or may prompt some type of error. We designed these for specific wheel and suspension set ups so better to have Tesla re-calibrate than have some unnecessary issue. When calibrated for 21" wheels on MS or 22" wheels on MX there are no issues at all so that is what we recommend.

Both the Model S and Model X come from the factory with the suspension calibrated differently for different wheel sizes. So install without re-calibration may just set the suspension to a different height than desired when lowered or may prompt some type of error. We designed these for specific wheel and suspension set ups so better to have Tesla re-calibrate than have some unnecessary issue. When calibrated for 21" wheels on MS or 22" wheels on MX there are no issues at all so that is what we recommend.

Isn't the outer diameter the same for both? Im not sure that this makes sense....what exactly would they calibrate and how would the system detect a difference in diameter less than 1%, or what equates to 3 complete turns difference over the distance of a mile.

Screen Shot 2017-09-14 at 10.30.45 AM.png

Isn't the outer diameter the same for both? Im not sure that this makes sense....what exactly would they calibrate and how would the system detect a difference in diameter less than 1%, or what equates to 3 complete turns difference over the distance of a mile.
My interpretation of what @UnpluggedP wrote is that the suspension settings may be different between 20" and 22" wheels. Actual height may differ, but also suspension characters can be adjusted too.

Perhaps the 20" wheels have suspension set to be more stiff, since there is more tire and hence more give. Or perhaps the 22" wheels have a suspension setting of extra stiff to provide a very responsive feel.

My interpretation of what @UnpluggedP wrote is that the suspension settings may be different between 20" and 22" wheels. Actual height may differ, but also suspension characters can be adjusted too.

Perhaps the 20" wheels have suspension set to be more stiff, since there is more tire and hence more give. Or perhaps the 22" wheels have a suspension setting of extra stiff to provide a very responsive feel.

It seems really unlikely. Given this is that @UnpluggedP has this as a requirement, Im sure that they can give us a solid explanation. Im really curious myself to see this actually!