Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unplugged Performance ALCANTARA HEADLINER!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_8612.jpeg
IMG_8611 copy.jpeg
IMG_8610.jpeg
IMG_8608.jpeg
IMG_8607.jpeg
IMG_8606.jpeg
IMG_8598.jpeg
IMG_8599 2.jpeg
IMG_8603.jpeg
IMG_8604.jpeg
I just returned from a quick road trip to LA and a visit to UNPLUGGED PERFORMANCE and couldn't wait to post some pictures from the work they did for me.

I already had the Ascension Bumper - it looks amazing and really sets my Performance 3 apart from the other 50 Model 3s at Costco, every weekend!

This trip I had them install the ALCANTARA HEADLINER!

Per their usual standards of excellence, it looks AMAZING, as well.

It looks better than the alcantara in my Model S P100D.

I never understood why Tesla would put a white/black interior and then use a grey/beige pillar/headliner. This fixes what should have been OEM, from the factory and looks better than the factory could have ever done.

Huge shout out to James/Max/Eric and the entire Unplugged Team for their great work and attention to detail.

If you are on the fence about this, it is well worth it. It changes the whole look for the car.

I don't understand why they no longer dye the plastics to match but wrap the seat belt adjuster plastic with alcantara. I like the dark headliner but it looks incomplete without getting the plastics done as well.

I noticed that too and found it odd because someone on Reddit got this done and the plastics were black. Looked far more complete that way.

nice, but at that price, UP doesn't offer to at least paint the plastic parts is a bit incomplete, buy some interior spray paint and have them painted to grey.

I wrapped the door sills by myself for $20, agree that the stock headline should be like model s with darker headliners.
119968155_10157060512957131_3762393373148229152_o.jpg

Reactions: Big Earl and Mr X
I get alcantara on seats and steering wheels but headliner? You never touch the thing what’s the point.

It looks nice. And many agree as it is commonly seen in high end cars for the headliner or other trim pieces.

Alcantara actually fares better in low wear/touch areas. If well cared for, it looks/feels great on steering wheels and seats, but can quickly matte and show wear if you aren't careful.

FYI, I am an amateur hack and have wrapped a lot of interior parts on my Porsche with Alcantara. The most difficult things are interior dissassembly/reassembly and working with parts that have very sharp/significant contours that require stitching. The headliner on the model 3 looks completely straightforward and looks like it will require <$150 in materials.

It looks nice. And many agree as it is commonly seen in high end cars for the headliner or other trim pieces.

Alcantara actually fares better in low wear/touch areas. If well cared for, it looks/feels great on steering wheels and seats, but can quickly matte and show wear if you aren't careful.

FYI, I am an amateur hack and have wrapped a lot of interior parts on my Porsche with Alcantara. The most difficult things are interior dissassembly/reassembly and working with parts that have very sharp/significant contours that require stitching. The headliner on the model 3 looks completely straightforward and looks like it will require <$150 in materials.

So the $2000 OP paid was probably a bit much?

Reactions: jeremymc7
I don't understand why they no longer dye the plastics to match but wrap the seat belt adjuster plastic with alcantara. I like the dark headliner but it looks incomplete without getting the plastics done as well.

This. $2,000 is a lot for a simple black headliner. Plastic pieces painted black should be standard/apart of the process. And it actually use to be.

Not sure why they don't do it anymore. I'll have to ask. Was thinking about getting the black alcantara for my car, but only if they paint all the plastic pieces black.

There isn’t any alcantara in the stock interior.

Every Model 3 and Y with black interior has alcantara on each door insert. And mostly every high end car has black alcantara headliner. Feels cozy and luxurious. Also black pillars enhance your vision when looking out the glass

Last edited:
So the $2000 OP paid was probably a bit much?

Nah, you can make this argument for just about anything DIY vs. having a pro do it. All that matters is that he/you/I are happy with the value we derived from whatever we bought/installed.

Although I will say again that trimming Alcantara is literally as easy as it gets, assuming no stitching. Simpler than wrapping vinyl IMO.

View attachment 590945 View attachment 590946 View attachment 590947 View attachment 590948 View attachment 590949 View attachment 590950 View attachment 590951 View attachment 590952 View attachment 590953 View attachment 590954 I just returned from a quick road trip to LA and a visit to UNPLUGGED PERFORMANCE and couldn't wait to post some pictures from the work they did for me.

I already had the Ascension Bumper - it looks amazing and really sets my Performance 3 apart from the other 50 Model 3s at Costco, every weekend!

This trip I had them install the ALCANTARA HEADLINER!

Per their usual standards of excellence, it looks AMAZING, as well.

It looks better than the alcantara in my Model S P100D.

I never understood why Tesla would put a white/black interior and then use a grey/beige pillar/headliner. This fixes what should have been OEM, from the factory and looks better than the factory could have ever done.

Huge shout out to James/Max/Eric and the entire Unplugged Team for their great work and attention to detail.

If you are on the fence about this, it is well worth it. It changes the whole look for the car.
Cost though?

Could you give a link for finding this headliner?

Does the headliner is self adhesive?

I'm going to link you to a write-up I put together several years ago as I began trimming some interior pieces with Alcantara. As I mention in that thread, Gulf fabrics is the sole Alcantara importer and distributor in the US, but it can also be purchased through some retailers. There is no shortage of "fake" microsuede products available as well. They might be fine, they might not be. Buyer beware.

Alcantara requires separate adhesive. I've found the best way to apply is with spray adhesive from 3M. Then all it takes is some time to lay the fabric on the piece properly and then clamp edges through whatever method you think is best (I used binder clips).

Alcantara lower dash - 6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource - I have a few different posts in this thread but think I linked should give a good overview.

• Love
Reactions: Watts_Up