Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unplugged Performance ALCANTARA HEADLINER!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could you give a link for finding this headliner?

Does the headliner is self adhesive?

I ordered it from china taobao, they are not alcantara, but you know what, they are door sill, expensive material shouldn't be there anyway, I used it just to protect the plastic piece.

You might find similar one on aliexpress, and yes, they are self adhesive.
119892047_10157061248142131_2596645000237225732_o.jpg

I'm going to link you to a write-up I put together several years ago as I began trimming some interior pieces with Alcantara. As I mention in that thread, Gulf fabrics is the sole Alcantara importer and distributor in the US, but it can also be purchased through some retailers. There is no shortage of "fake" microsuede products available as well. They might be fine, they might not be. Buyer beware.

Alcantara requires separate adhesive. I've found the best way to apply is with spray adhesive from 3M. Then all it takes is some time to lay the fabric on the piece properly and then clamp edges through whatever method you think is best (I used binder clips).

Alcantara lower dash - 6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource - I have a few different posts in this thread but think I linked should give a good overview.

Nice, I have a can of 3M spray adhesive as well, but it smell so bad and hard to work with laying the fabric in a hurry. I guess it will work fine with headliners?? but curve and bending areas are hard to deal with for first time DIYers

I ordered it from china taobao, they are not alcantara, but you know what, they are door sill, expensive material shouldn't be there anyway, I used it just to protect the plastic piece.

You might find similar one on aliexpress, and yes, they are self adhesive.
View attachment 592035

Nice, I have a can of 3M spray adhesive as well, but it smell so bad and hard to work with laying the fabric in a hurry. I guess it will work fine with headliners?? but curve and bending areas are hard to deal with for first time DIYers

I think the biggest concern (theoretical) is the UV stability of the non-genuine products. Hopefully you don't experience any fading over time -- this is definitely something that is not an issue with genuine Alcantara.

To be clear, I would never advocate spraying 3M glue in the car! The pieces should be disassembled and worked on in a well ventilated area. Because of its heft, it is VERY easy to shape ((with no air bubbles below) the fabric over smooth curves like what is seen on the headliner pieces. Like I mentioned earlier, the most difficult part of this is disassembly/reassembly of the factory trim/headliner pieces. But even that is just a couple hours of effort with a plastic pry tool and basic screwdriver and socket set.

Last edited: