Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unplugged Performance Coilovers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cvillanu

MYP, MSM, black int., no tow, no FSD, OD 10/29
Jul 17, 2018
Bay Area
Unplugged Performance Luxury Coilovers. Installed on my 2022 MYP. Love the aggressive lowered stance. Its surprisingly rides smoother over road imperfections and still feels planted. An overall improvement from my stock suspension. Took the DIY route and although very challenging I'd say it was well worth the cuts and bruises on my hands!

Attachments

• IMG_6611.JPG
    IMG_6611.JPG
    879 KB · Views: 366
  • IMG_6610.JPG
    IMG_6610.JPG
    691.2 KB · Views: 308
Looks great. I’m on the fence about doing my Eibach springs myself. I used to do all my work when I was under 40. Now I make enough for me to pay someone to do the work But I don’t trust anyone else working on my cars. I know the front is harder than the rear but what was the hardest part of the front diy?

Reactions: Pianewman
@Mattemsmy - I swapped stock springs on the MYP to UPP’s 1” drop springs.

Rear is a snap.

Fronts are hard if you need to swap springs w a spring compressor… or just take the front strut assembly to a shop if possible and let them do it for you? If you get coilovers… it’s easier as there is no spring swapping… I’m still running stock dampers.

If I could do it over again, I’d do coilovers.

@Mattemsmy - I swapped stock springs on the MYP to UPP’s 1” drop springs.

Rear is a snap.

Fronts are hard if you need to swap springs w a spring compressor… or just take the front strut assembly to a shop if possible and let them do it for you? If you get coilovers… it’s easier as there is no spring swapping… I’m still running stock dampers.

If I could do it over again, I’d do coilovers.
You can just rent a spring compressor from local autoparts stores.

Unplugged Performance Luxury Coilovers. Installed on my 2022 MYP. Love the aggressive lowered stance. Its surprisingly rides smoother over road imperfections and still feels planted. An overall improvement from my stock suspension. Took the DIY route and although very challenging I'd say it was well worth the cuts and bruises on my hands!
Wow, beautiful!!!! I am jealous. Did you do anything to your paint?

Hello all. I'm getting mine in a few weeks fingers cross. I haven't changed suspension in a out 20 plus years but am going to DIY. If anyone lives in Colorado and is knowledgeable about how to do this. If be willing to pay someone to help me. Thanks

Before I bought the MY, I read some reviews that stated that the suspension was rather stiff. It seems to be a common occurrence. My wife gets horrible headaches in automobiles that are particularly stiff like that, therefore this is a problem in my family. We test drove a MY and enjoyed it, but she expected headaches on extended journeys, and we both thought that the ride was too stiff in compared to our 2020 Subaru Forester Touring, which has a silky smooth ride.

Looks great. I’m on the fence about doing my Eibach springs myself. I used to do all my work when I was under 40. Now I make enough for me to pay someone to do the work But I don’t trust anyone else working on my cars. I know the front is harder than the rear but what was the hardest part of the front diy?
Sorry for late reply. Because this was a used set and was received out of factory spec, I had to sort of guesstimate the proper height adjustment for each of the front assemblies. That was probably the toughest part. I’ve taken the front suspension apart so much, I figured out the angles and which components to remove and reassemble as I worked through the height adjustments. Fortunately the rears was easier to setup and didn’t require much tweaking.

Looks great. I’m on the fence about doing my Eibach springs myself. I used to do all my work when I was under 40. Now I make enough for me to pay someone to do the work But I don’t trust anyone else working on my cars. I know the front is harder than the rear but what was the hardest part of the front So long as you have two low profile hydraulic jacks, an impact gun and all the need sockets, it should make the job so much easier!

I just hit 1234 miles on my MYP. The ride isn’t super bad, but I do wish it felt like it was $60k. Either these or the ohlins are definitely on the list. Anything you didn’t like about the coilovers?
So far I can't think of anything I don't like about these coilovers. But I haven't had the opportunity to compare to anything else either.

You can just rent a spring compressor from local autoparts stores.
O'reilly Auto Parts will rent MacPherson strut spring compressor for free.
Hello all. I'm getting mine in a few weeks fingers cross. I haven't changed suspension in a out 20 plus years but am going to DIY. If anyone lives in Colorado and is knowledgeable about how to do this. If be willing to pay someone to help me. Thanks

Before I bought the MY, I read some reviews that stated that the suspension was rather stiff. It seems to be a common occurrence. My wife gets horrible headaches in automobiles that are particularly stiff like that, therefore this is a problem in my family. We test drove a MY and enjoyed it, but she expected headaches on extended journeys, and we both thought that the ride was too stiff in compared to our 2020 Subaru Forester Touring, which has a silky smooth ride.
I swapped out only the stock springs to TSportline lowering springs in our 2018 Model 3 AWD LR and that small change improved the look and the ride quality.

I'd help you out with just a six pack of ice cold beer if only I was in Colorado! For this type of DIY, all you need is the proper tools and YouTube!

Sorry for late reply. Because this was a used set and was received out of factory spec, I had to sort of guesstimate the proper height adjustment for each of the front assemblies. That was probably the toughest part. I’ve taken the front suspension apart so much, I figured out the angles and which components to remove and reassemble as I worked through the height adjustments. Fortunately the rears was easier to setup and didn’t require much tweaking.

Hi @cvillanu, I also purchased a used Unplugged Performance Comfort Coilovers set and having a hard time figuring out the height adjustments. Would you mind sharing your measurements?

Thank you so much!