Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unplugged Performance Comfort Springs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Comfort Springs: Just heard from Eric. They're still on back order.

I'd be more comfortable with some testimonials from customers. It's hard to believe lowering the stock height 1" would help in creating a slightly softer ride.

Reactions: bpon89
I've been speaking with UPP on and off for the past month or so. Both the mild and the comfort springs should come in late October at least with my place in line with my order. I'll definitely update when I get them installed at UPP.

I have been going back and forth between the mild and the comfort. I want a slighty lower car for the efficiency and I like sedans/wagons so prefer sitting lower but don't want to go too low to affect the camber too much. And also ride which I hope is better so I don't have to look at the more expensive coilover options.

I don't believe changing the spring will have any benefit at all, if the dampers aren't upgraded. OEM is...stiff...
The spring typically manages ride height through compression. A softer sprung spring will dampen a ride.
Generally, dampers are there to control the spring oscillations, and rebound.
Obviously the best setup is a matched set - a compromise spring rate then fine tuned the dampers

Reactions: Pianewman
The spring typically manages ride height through compression. A softer sprung spring will dampen a ride.
Generally, dampers are there to control the spring oscillations, and rebound.
Obviously the best setup is a matched set - a compromise spring rate then fine tuned the dampers
...which you won't get by only changing the springs.

Blake from UP here. There's merit to both of these opinions. Both Spring rate and dampener tune contribute vastly to ride quality, height, and other factors. However, the lower a car is, the stiffer the spring rate needs to be to prevent riding the bump stops. So inherently, larger bumps may become more pronounced with any of our springs. The more minor road imperfections are smoothed, but significant gaps, potholes, etc., are accentuated.

Coil-overs are built from the ground up to complement one another, with 30-way adjustable dampening to match your ride height preference. They have a significantly higher cost than a spring swap, but we find many customers return within a year to make the leap. As a DIY guy myself, I say spend the money once on Coil-overs. Rather than twice for springs and then Coil-overs.

That being said, we don't expect to have inventory on springs for at least two months once backorder is filled; coil-overs have about 3 to 4 months' lead on them. DM me if you're looking for more info.

• Helpful
Reactions: tm1v2