Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Unplugged Performance Dual Rate LOWERING Spring Set

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

UnpluggedP

Global Vendor
Mar 27, 2014
Hawthorne, CA
Unplugged-Performance-Sport-Lowering-Springs-for-Tesla-Model-3-1125x750.jpg

After 4 months of engineering it is here! Softer than factory spec for cruising around town but when cornering a secondary spring rate kicks in and it becomes firmer than factory spec. Best of both worlds! We’ve created this dual rate spring with a Formula One spring producer. Available in “moderate” or “low” options. In stock!

Concept:
This ambitious engineering project began with a review of factory spring rates and led to a goal of the following:

1. Increase comfort in daily driving situations. Achieved by studying factory spring rates and producing a softer but proportionate spring rate front and rear.
  2. Increase performance when cornering. Achieved by utilizing the highest technology partner and producing a secondary more sporty performance spring rate that engages when cornering g forces are loaded.
  3. Increase range. Achieved by lowering the car as height is proven to correlate to aero efficiency.
  4. Every day improved performance at significant value. Achieved by producing in bulk volume in a direct manufacturer partnership produced to proprietary Unplugged Performance developed specifications.
Two Unique Offerings:

Moderate
Ride: Our moderate offering is engineered with slightly softer spring rates than factory springs. When cornering, the secondary spring rate activates and body roll is minimized with a slightly more firm spring rates than factory. Overall improvements to handling, steering responsiveness, as well as stability can be felt. The target is a best of both worlds spring for everyday use.

Height: 1.5” drop. Front ground clearance is comparable to a modern sports car. The car is lowered moderately, enough to gain aerodynamic efficiency with cleaned up airflow under the car. Visually tire gap is reduced to “two fingers” wheel gap.

Low
Ride: Our low offering is engineered with comparable spring rates to the factory springs. When cornering, the secondary spring rate activates and body roll is minimized with a more firm spring rate than factory. Overall improvements to handling, steering responsiveness, as well as stability can be felt. On both primary and on secondary spring rates, the low version is slightly firmer than our moderate version. This slightly firmer setting is consistent with our intention of a true high performance driving style.

Height: 2.1” drop. Front ground clearance is comparable to a modern supercar. Visually tire gap is reduced to “one finger” wheel gap.

Which version should I get?
If you are not sure about which choice is best for you, we suggest selecting Moderate. If you are still not sure, think about your answer to the following question:

If you could daily drive only one car, would it be a Model S P100D or a 2020 Tesla Roadster Concept?
The Model S is more well-rounded for everyday use and many would select that, but if you would like driving a supercar everyday then the low version might be a good choice for you. The low version is developed strictly for extreme car enthusiasts just like us.

Specifications:
  • Produced in an engineering partnership with Formula 1 and 50+ consecutive Indy car winning spring supplier HYPERCO
  • Proven Dual Rate spring technology allows for best of both worlds. The car rides at improved comfort around town. When sporty handling is desired, natural cornering g forces activate the spring’s 30% sportier secondary spring rate which reduces body roll and increases handling
  • Improved range efficiency by lowering center of gravity and reducing underbody air turbulence
  • Two unique offerings – “Moderate” provides a ground clearance equivalence to modern sports cars. “Low” provides a ground clearance equivalence to modern hypercars. Moderate is approximately a 1.5” drop, Low is approximately a 2.1” drop
  • Designed, Engineered and Produced in America

27540112_1892208990851964_5487516959527209304_n.jpg

Top to bottom: stock, moderate, low

Unplugged-Performance-Dual-Rate-Lowering-Springs-Tesla-Model-3-OEM-Height_01-1.jpg

Unplugged-Performance-Dual-Rate-Lowering-Springs-Tesla-Model-3-Moderate_01-1.jpg

Unplugged-Performance-Dual-Rate-Lowering-Springs-Tesla-Model-3-Low_01-1.jpg

Reactions: Pkmmte and T34ME
Any chance you can get pictures with car that has the 19" sport wheels instead of the 18" aeros? Curious how it looks since I find the tires on the 18" wheels to appear too "stretched" while the 19" tires are not so much.

Any plans for offering spacers? I feel the rear wheels especially seem bit too tucked into the wheel well. I think a 15mm-20mm spacer would be ideal.

Any chance you can get pictures with car that has the 19" sport wheels instead of the 18" aeros? Curious how it looks since I find the tires on the 18" wheels to appear too "stretched" while the 19" tires are not so much.

Any plans for offering spacers? I feel the rear wheels especially seem bit too tucked into the wheel well. I think a 15mm-20mm spacer would be ideal.

I'll have some more pictures by early next week. We currently have a couple more Model 3s scheduled for install.

We do not recommend the use of spacers on Teslas since it can make it harder to tighten the lug nuts down to the proper torque specs. Adding spacers often times introduces another point of failure.

Yes, retail pricing on these are $335 for the set. The price remains the same for both moderate and low options.
I think that is fair! Do you install or have recommendations for an installer?
Zman, I'm going out on a limb here but bear with me. I GUESS the model 3 offsets will be somewhat similar to a Gen III Prius. What worked best on the Prius was 12mm at the front, and 25mm at the rear. Anything more than 12mm at the front caused rubbing when making a turn. The model 3 may be totally different, so I just throw that out there. IF UP doesn't offer 'adapters", get back to me and I can recommend some high quality spacer "adapters" from a US company (avoid Asian stuff when your life will depend on it). BTW, you will lose some range, maybe as much as an additional 5% (depending on specific rims) with spacer "adapters" because it puts the wheel more into the air stream. Verified by Prius fanboys.

Last edited:
We do not recommend the use of spacers on Teslas since it can make it harder to tighten the lug nuts down to the proper torque specs. Adding spacers often times introduces another point of failure.
Yes and no. Yes, it is another point of failure so it is important to use high quality "adapters" made in the USA. No, you want to use the "adapters" that have separate studs to bolt on the wheel with same OEM length (they cost more). Like This

DRM-25mm.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Plug Life and Ulmo
I think that is fair! Do you install or have recommendations for an installer?

Zman, I'm going out on a limb here but bear with me. I GUESS the model 3 offsets will be somewhat similar to a Gen III Prius. What worked best on the Prius was 12mm at the front, and 25mm at the rear. Anything more than 12mm at the front caused rubbing when making a turn. The model 3 may be totally different, so I just throw that out there. IF UP doesn't offer spacers, get back to me and I can recommend some high quality spacers from a US company (avoid Asian stuff when your life will depend on it). BTW, you will lose some range, maybe as much as an additional 5% (depending on specific rims) with spacers because it puts the wheel more into the air stream. Verified by Prius fanboys.
Wouldn't you have to press in new lugs to fit 12mm or 25mm spacers? Anyway spacers of any type terrify me. Better to get wheels with the right offset.
UnpluggedP, I see that you sell aftermarket wheels for the Model 3. Have you taken any measurements on how wide a wheel/tire will fit on the front/rear of a Model 3 without rubbing or rolling fenders?

Wouldn't you have to press in new lugs to fit 12mm or 25mm spacers? Anyway spacers of any type terrify me. Better to get wheels with the right offset.
In my opinion, WHEEL ADAPTERS are safe if they are torqued to the hub according to OEM specs and then the rims torqued to the adapter to the same OEM specs. THIS IS NOT ADVICE.
Have you taken any measurements on how wide a wheel/tire will fit on the front/rear of a Model 3 without rubbing or rolling fenders?
Good question.

I'll have some more pictures by early next week. We currently have a couple more Model 3s scheduled for install.

Thanks for the info. Yeah, aware of the pros/cons of spacers. Slightly different offset wheels instead of spacers would be preferred method but my wife would kill me if had another set of wheels in the garage! :p

Did you need to change the alignment specs in either version? Being lower I assume would increase toe and camber slightly. Assume if someone has spring compressor tool, this could be done fairly easily?

UnpluggedP, I see that you sell aftermarket wheels for the Model 3. Have you taken any measurements on how wide a wheel/tire will fit on the front/rear of a Model 3 without rubbing or rolling fenders?

Our standard widths on our wheels for the Model 3 will be 9" fronts and 10" rears. All of our wheels are designed for Tesla and the specific models so fitment, strength, and weight are all taken into consideration. You won't have to worry about any rubbing issues.

We can also create the wheels to any other width or specification but it may be subject to some additional fees for engineering.

Spacers may not be dangerous but as an x pro-mechanic I can tell you they put an serious load on your wheel bearings. Think of the spacers as leveraging out the weight of your car. Normally the offset of the wheel is designed so the centerline of the wheel is directly over the bearing(s). This way the force is a straight down force on the bearing. With a spacer, now the bearing has the force off to its side making for a leveraged force as if you were very hard cornering constantly...ouch!!

BTW: same problem exactly if you use wheels with greater offset.

Thanks for the info. Yeah, aware of the pros/cons of spacers. Slightly different offset wheels instead of spacers would be preferred method but my wife would kill me if had another set of wheels in the garage! :p

Did you need to change the alignment specs in either version? Being lower I assume would increase toe and camber slightly. Assume if someone has spring compressor tool, this could be done fairly easily?

Regarding camber specs - on the moderate set the camber is moderately more aggressive (comparable to for example the Model S that has air suspension and lowers at speed which creates the same camber differences that a 1.5" drop will do). We've also been creating adjustable suspension arms for full camber control...not for this but for racing since we will eventually be installing full racing coilovers to make a track day car.

Install is very similar to a car with a similar suspension set up. Nothing fancy really.