Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unplugged Performance installed wrong springs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday I drove my RWD Long Range 3 1/2hrs down to @UnpluggedPerformance to get their Mild springs installed. Today I pulled out the the box with my stock springs in them from my trunk and notice the label is for their "Super Performance"springs for AWD. The car is definitely lower than I would have liked. Its a tight two fingers. Mild's should be 2.5-3 finger gap.
Can this cause any erratic behavior during spirited driving since the springs rates are obviously going to be different for RWD vs AWD?

Attachments

• IMG_20190420_141420.jpg
    IMG_20190420_141420.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 251
ya, I hope it’s just a tech using a box laying around

However, is there anyway for you to verify what spring is actually installed? Are they different colors etc ?

They said they just used a random box for my stock springs and I would know if the wrong springs were installed by the ride. Which seems a little odd to me that they keep springs not in their proper box. Seems like a mix up waiting to happen. But I checked with another guy with Milds installed and he also has a 2 finger gap so I'm confident they installed the right springs after all.

They said they just used a random box for my stock springs and I would know if the wrong springs were installed by the ride. Which seems a little odd to me that they keep springs not in their proper box. Seems like a mix up waiting to happen. But I checked with another guy with Milds installed and he also has a 2 finger gap so I'm confident they installed the right springs after all.

I don't think it's wierd, as if I ran a shop I would try to not make every job be about opening boxes and getting rid of boxes while doing the job.

I would prep a cart with springs, tools, nuts, bolts etc. Then when the operation came the cart would go to the car and assembly start. Then of owner wants springs (I guess most won't?), Find a random box.

I think this would be more effective, but of course I've never worked in a garage.

What kind of noise are you experiencing? Im getting annoying rattles and clunking over bumps from the rear. I think they forgot to tighten some bolts and/or springs are slapping against eachother.

I’m getting exactly the same, clunking and knocking noises going over bumps, driveways

I had moderate springs installed about a month ago.

Took it back to them last week, they wrapped the rear springs, but noise is still there, when going over bumps. So, they said they need to REPLACE the rear springs. But they only had Super Performance springs & MILD in stock, so They pushed me towards SP and I agreed to SP since it would be the same drop...so, SP springs were put on the rear and they kept moderate springs in front. Not my ideal choice but ... I wanted the noise gone.

After the replacement, I immediately noticed the rear super performance springs are 1-2 inches higher than moderate springs were they took off — but according to them, the SP is supposed to have same drop as Moderates. They had no explanation for me about this.

I have a feeling they put Milds in back by mistake?

Now, the rear springs don’t make any more clunking noise, but I hear noises coming from the front springs, albeit, not as loud as before with the rear moderates

At this point, I like the ride comfort and I’ve grown to be ok with the rear of car being slightly higher than front... so, I have decided to just leave it be

However, I still get that clunking noise from the fronts & I have a feeling I’ll be taking the car back to UP again ..

Last edited:
I’m getting exactly the same, clunking and knocking noises going over bumps, driveways

I had moderate springs installed about a month ago.

Took it back to them last week, they wrapped the rear springs, but noise is still there, when going over bumps. So, they said they need to REPLACE the rear springs. But they only had Super Performance springs & MILD in stock, so They pushed me towards SP and I agreed to SP since it would be the same drop...so, SP springs were put on the rear and they kept moderate springs in front. Not my ideal choice but ... I wanted the noise gone.

After the replacement, I immediately noticed the rear super performance springs are 1-2 inches higher than moderate springs were they took off — but according to them, the SP is supposed to have same drop as Moderates. They had no explanation for me about this.

I have a feeling they put Milds in back by mistake?

Now, the rear springs don’t make any more clunking noise, but I hear noises coming from the front springs, albeit, not as loud as before with the rear moderates

At this point, I like the ride comfort and I’ve grown to be ok with the rear of car being slightly higher than front... so, I have decided to just leave it be

However, I still get that clunking noise from the fronts & I have a feeling I’ll be taking the car back to UP again ..

Thats disheartening to hear your situation. Hopefully you get yours figured out. I've got an appointment next week with a local shop to put it on the lift and see if there's any bolts that need to be tightened down. Im trying to avoid the 3 1/2 hr drive down to UP if possible, but Ill see how it goes with my appointment next week. UP said they're expecting a new batch of milds soon, but they couldn't say if there's any change in the specs. If all else fails I might just get Tsportlines.
Keep me updated on your situation.

Any updates on your springs?

My front moderate springs became very noisy over the past 2 months - the noise got louder and louder over time.

I’m at the UP shop right now getting my fronts replaced

No updates on my side, I went to a local shop and they checked all the bolts and made sure everything was tight. $100 dollars later they said everything was installed correctly that they can see. So it seems its the crappy springs themselves making noise.

Any improvements on your end?

No updates on my side, I went to a local shop and they checked all the bolts and made sure everything was tight. $100 dollars later they said everything was installed correctly that they can see. So it seems its the crappy springs themselves making noise.

Any improvements on your end?

Ah, that's unfortunate. I also believe your springs are the problem, nothing else.

UP swapped out my front springs to Super Perf. and there has been NO more noise coming from springs.

The springs were bad, period.

Reactions: amoney805
UP offered to install an older set of the moderate springs which they said were a comparable drop to the milds. I dont want to risk it being any lower since the milds are as low as I want to go. The next set shipment of milds come in, in 1-2 months. Im going to hold out until then.

Reactions: Tezla1
UP offered to install an older set of the moderate springs which they said were a comparable drop to the milds. I dont want to risk it being any lower since the milds are as low as I want to go. The next set shipment of milds come in, in 1-2 months. Im going to hold out until then.

UP told you the drop for Moderate is same as Milds? Who at UP are you working with?

No way Mild and Moderate are same drop. I wonder why they are telling you this..makes no sense.

I’ve had UP Moderate springs on my 2018 M3 and the drop is 2 inches+. I didn’t measure, but I’d say to 2.5”.

I had UP take Moderates OFF my car due to knocking noise a few
months ago , and they replaced with SP on my car. Even The SP are higher than Moderates by 1 inch.

I’ve never had their Mild springs, but according to UP, the drop on Milds is minimal and about 1 inch.

UP told you the drop for Moderate is same as Milds? Who at UP are you working with?

No way Mild and Moderate are same drop. I wonder why they are telling you this..makes no sense.

I’ve had UP Moderate springs on my 2018 M3 and the drop is 2 inches+. I didn’t measure, but I’d say to 2.5”.

I had UP take Moderates OFF my car due to knocking noise a few
months ago , and they replaced with SP on my car. Even The SP are higher than Moderates by 1 inch.

I’ve never had their Mild springs, but according to UP, the drop on Milds is minimal and about 1 inch.

Yeah it didn't make any sense to me either, thats why i didn't take them up on their offer. Not to mention the milds gave me a 1.5 inch drop. A tight two finger gap. Thats double the .7 inch drop they advertise.

A lot of weird info coming out of UP right now...

I asked for Moderates on a SR RWD and a sales guy noted that they were sending the new dimensions to Hyperco because they've had a lot of complaints of the Moderate not achieving the height that was advertised. They specified they never really made this set up for an SR+ so therefore a completely new version had to be made.

Theres so many options to tick on that box now that its getting really really hard to cross reference what spring does what on a specific model anymore.