Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unplugged Performance Luxury Coilover Suspension Kit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What I'm seeing from 90% of people who install coilovers or springs on Model 3 or Y from all the vendors:
Wow the handling is noticeably better, less body roll now. The suspension ride comfort is kinda, sorta better, a little, maybe.

What I'm waiting to see from the vast majority who install :
Whoah, the ride is so much softer now compared to stock. Much less harsh on bumpy city streets. Big noticeable difference for sure. Feels like a different car now.

Until then : my only option is to save up for Model S with Raven suspension, which actually *is* noticeably, significantly more comfortable than Model 3 or Y. I would say Model X too, but that car is so heavy that it's a roll of the dice if your X will be bumpy or not.

I had the UPP coilovers installed, and it wasn’t the best experience. The results are okay, not great.

UPP advertises that with the kit you can raise or lower the car by about an inch in either direction. In practice, the kit they send in the mail will lower your car by about half an inch. If you want to keep it stock or raise it, UPP has to send different springs for the rear. This isn’t articulated in the listing, so people should be aware of that.

Partially as a result of this, I had to pay to have the kit reinstalled after UPP sent the replacement springs. My installer discounted the second one slightly, but I still ended up spending almost $1500 on installation alone.

In retrospect with something like this, you probably want to work with the vendor and the installer ahead of time, make sure everybody is clear on what you’re trying to achieve and that everybody is comfortable it can be done.

Now that I have the coilovers installed, it definitely rides better than before. I had an early VIN, and the ride sucked compared to the 3 I traded in. The car floats a little bit on the softer ride settings, but it’s tolerable. The downside is that going over bumps is much louder than with the stock suspension. I don’t know how the MPP equivalent compares. In my case I’m better off than I was before, but certainly not $4,000 better off.

Hello YGOHOME,

We're sorry to hear that you aren't completely satisfied with your coilover kit so far. We do offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee on all of our products so please email us your name and order number, if available, and our team will get back to you on Monday to discuss this matter further. We'd like to get to the bottom of this so that we can make sure you are happy. I'll send you a DM to make sure we can get a head start.

Our email for any technical concerns can be reached at [email protected]

Thank you and have a great weekend!

What I'm seeing from 90% of people who install coilovers or springs on Model 3 or Y from all the vendors:
Wow the handling is noticeably better, less body roll now. The suspension ride comfort is kinda, sorta better, a little, maybe.

What I'm waiting to see from the vast majority who install :
Whoah, the ride is so much softer now compared to stock. Much less harsh on bumpy city streets. Big noticeable difference for sure. Feels like a different car now.

Until then : my only option is to save up for Model S with Raven suspension, which actually *is* noticeably, significantly more comfortable than Model 3 or Y. I would say Model X too, but that car is so heavy that it's a roll of the dice if your X will be bumpy or not.

Funny thing is my wife and I kinda got a headache/nauseated driving stock suspension model 3 because of the undulating suspension. Once I changed to coilovers it was a little firmer but dampening was much better so I'd say it's a much more comfortable ride for me. Headaches/nausea also went away.

Reactions: Sunshine Speed
BlackM3: I totally concur. I'm not even interested in spending $3k for a suspension upgrade.

I'm still waiting to hear from someone with real-life experience with the Comfort progressive spring from UPP.

Hi guys, first of all I want to say that we are grateful to have your support and to have been able to support @YGOHOME after sale to resolve the install challenges. I'm glad that as he describes it now "definitely rides better than before". Thank you kindly YGOHOME for reaching out to us and allowing us to get involved to help troubleshoot the install concerns. We appreciate that chance to support you and we're here for you anytime, always.

We're here to support all installers and to do our best to ensure that install goes smoothly with our [email protected] email account. In the above case unfortunately the installer did not reach out and had a couple of things incorrect which led to some challenges. We've been streamlining our process to be more proactive to try to catch any installer questions in advance since some installers are not always comfortable reaching out to us although we are here to help.

In this particular case for this earlier shipped kit we provided a rear spring + a rear helper spring. The rear helper spring we use in racing but in this case has a secondary benefit of increasing the rear height in a modular way. However in this case the installer installed the rear helper spring on the front shock which in hindsight when we learned it caught us by surprise since that was not the intended design. We are glad it was resolved on the second install but it is unfortunate to have taken time and and trouble.

We've resolved this by working to standardize and optimize our install guides further. We've also decided for now to remove the rear helper spring and go with a longer rear spring just to simplify the product. We shipped YGOHOME the new taller rear spring which is equipped on all of our kits. The end result is a near identical ride but without the modularity of the second rear spring.

For those wondering about ride heights, stock the Performance Model Y is about 30" ground to fender. Our kit goes up to 31.4". We have different rear spring combinations depending on your goals so please feel free to reach out to us for custom setups if you want it higher or lower but by default right now our Model Y Luxury kits can go roughly an inch lower than stock and an inch higher than stock.

Please also keep in mind that our coilovers are quite advanced for a highly customizable setup, they have adjustable shock body lengths and adjustable pre-load settings so they be expertly dialed in for any desired height. We suggest installers have experience setting up pre-load and shock length for the best results - although we've also simplified this recently this by presetting the preload and lengths out of the box on all new orders.

Hi guys, first of all I want to say that we are grateful to have your support and to have been able to support @YGOHOME after sale to resolve the install challenges. I'm glad that as he describes it now "definitely rides better than before". Thank you kindly YGOHOME for reaching out to us and allowing us to get involved to help troubleshoot the install concerns. We appreciate that chance to support you and we're here for you anytime, always.

We're here to support all installers and to do our best to ensure that install goes smoothly with our [email protected] email account. In the above case unfortunately the installer did not reach out and had a couple of things incorrect which led to some challenges. We've been streamlining our process to be more proactive to try to catch any installer questions in advance since some installers are not always comfortable reaching out to us although we are here to help.

In this particular case for this earlier shipped kit we provided a rear spring + a rear helper spring. The rear helper spring we use in racing but in this case has a secondary benefit of increasing the rear height in a modular way. However in this case the installer installed the rear helper spring on the front shock which in hindsight when we learned it caught us by surprise since that was not the intended design. We are glad it was resolved on the second install but it is unfortunate to have taken time and and trouble.

We've resolved this by working to standardize and optimize our install guides further. We've also decided for now to remove the rear helper spring and go with a longer rear spring just to simplify the product. We shipped YGOHOME the new taller rear spring which is equipped on all of our kits. The end result is a near identical ride but without the modularity of the second rear spring.

For those wondering about ride heights, stock the Performance Model Y is about 30" ground to fender. Our kit goes up to 31.4". We have different rear spring combinations depending on your goals so please feel free to reach out to us for custom setups if you want it higher or lower but by default right now our Model Y Luxury kits can go roughly an inch lower than stock and an inch higher than stock.

Please also keep in mind that our coilovers are quite advanced for a highly customizable setup, they have adjustable shock body lengths and adjustable pre-load settings so they be expertly dialed in for any desired height. We suggest installers have experience setting up pre-load and shock length for the best results - although we've also simplified this recently this by presetting the preload and lengths out of the box on all new orders.

UP - I used your support email above and sent a few very specific questions. I received a generic response back with a link to Installation. The email included personal questions (email, phone, etc.) that I had already included in my original inquiry. I responded with the requested information and I'm still waiting and hoping from a response. Look forward to connecting soon.

Just got my coilovers installed by UPP today! Just a background on my story. I went from a 2020 MYP (September build) to a 2021 MYP (December build). The ride quality from 2020 to 2021 improved a lot and I’m not sure what changes made that but that is my subjective opinion. With that being said, my initial impression of the coilovers is that it does improve the ride quality a bit. I kept the stock height of the performance. And the settings are dialed all the way to comfort. Driving over little bumps on freeway is less noticeable. Driving through a dip is not so harsh. Driving through really crappy roads still feels bad but I’m going to say that’s from the 21” wheels. I don’t feel like I’m going to fly off my chair going over bumps and my head doesn’t bob as much. Now if you’re coming from a 2020 model y and your ride was harsh I will say this will improve it significantly. If you have a 2021 it’ll improve but not so much. This is just my initial thoughts from the drive home. I will wait until my wife has a chance to ride in the car and see what she thinks since she was the most critical against the model y ride.

The install took about 3 hours. The installation cost was $600 from UPP. Eric greeted me when I arrived and was super helpful and friendly. He kept checking in on me to see if I needed anything and updating me on the install process. Gave me a rundown of the coilovers after installation and how to make changes if I wanted to. Overall, I am happy with my purchase! I’ll update again after my wife rides in the car.

Just got my coilovers installed by UPP today! Just a background on my story. I went from a 2020 MYP (September build) to a 2021 MYP (December build). The ride quality from 2020 to 2021 improved a lot and I’m not sure what changes made that but that is my subjective opinion. With that being said, my initial impression of the coilovers is that it does improve the ride quality a bit. I kept the stock height of the performance. And the settings are dialed all the way to comfort. Driving over little bumps on freeway is less noticeable. Driving through a dip is not so harsh. Driving through really crappy roads still feels bad but I’m going to say that’s from the 21” wheels. I don’t feel like I’m going to fly off my chair going over bumps and my head doesn’t bob as much. Now if you’re coming from a 2020 model y and your ride was harsh I will say this will improve it significantly. If you have a 2021 it’ll improve but not so much. This is just my initial thoughts from the drive home. I will wait until my wife has a chance to ride in the car and see what she thinks since she was the most critical against the model y ride.

The install took about 3 hours. The installation cost was $600 from UPP. Eric greeted me when I arrived and was super helpful and friendly. He kept checking in on me to see if I needed anything and updating me on the install process. Gave me a rundown of the coilovers after installation and how to make changes if I wanted to. Overall, I am happy with my purchase! I’ll update again after my wife rides in the car.
Thanks for sharing. I am getting them installed soon. I have one of the very early ones and the ride is horrible.
Did you get the full deal? Around 2500 on their website? I’m expecting a “Lexus” kind of ride based on their description. Hope I’m not disappointed

Thanks for sharing. I am getting them installed soon. I have one of the very early ones and the ride is horrible.
Did you get the full deal? Around 2500 on their website? I’m expecting a “Lexus” kind of ride based on their description. Hope I’m not disappointed
I think you’ll definitely feel a significant bump in comfort if you’re coming from an early model y. My wife had a chance to sit in the back. She said she noticed an improvement in the feel but she still loves her Lexus RX. I’m only going to assume it’s because of my 21” tires. After driving a week, I can tell it definitely feels better driving through minor holes/bumps.
Not sure what you mean about the full deal. I paid about $2700 after tax for coilovers and another $600 for installation. Hope you enjoy yours! Let us know what you think too!

I think you’ll definitely feel a significant bump in comfort if you’re coming from an early model y. My wife had a chance to sit in the back. She said she noticed an improvement in the feel but she still loves her Lexus RX. I’m only going to assume it’s because of my 21” tires. After driving a week, I can tell it definitely feels better driving through minor holes/bumps.
Not sure what you mean about the full deal. I paid about $2700 after tax for coilovers and another $600 for installation. Hope you enjoy yours! Let us know what you think too!
My wife too would not be comfortable with anything other than Lexus. :) I wish they can make a suspension for Tesla that feels like Lexus and I'd pay big bucks for that.

How is the handling? Body roll and does the car feel plant and firm when pushed. I have an LR and hope to reduce body roll and have the car feel more confident around turns

I installed had the luxury coilovers installed on my Model Y. I was only interested in a smoother ride and not in lowering the car or improving the handling. Overall, they make a significant difference in the smoothness on the ride. Much, much better than the stock suspension.

I would suggest having them installed by Unplugged Performance or a installer that can clearly demonstrate they have installed them and will give you a reference to another customer.

UPP was super helpful before, during and after the install. Great company to work with. I would for sure buy from them again.