Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unplugged Performance Luxury Coilover Suspension Kit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Who has installed the Unplugged Performance Luxury Coilover Suspension Kit? I read the reviews online but want unfiltered in the wild reviews from those here on the forum. Are you happy with them? Is it worth the money? Do you really notice the difference? Any cons?

how are you all finding somewhere to install them? My detailer/semi performance shop has done some tesla springs, but I wouldnt want to trust them with installing and setting a full suspension...

Actually having never done more than springs in a car before, what needs to be setup when installing coilovers, how easy is it to make adjustments to height/stiffness?

And most importantly whats ride quality like on the lowest settings? I just put 19's on my MYP and the ride quality has improved, but I am pretty convinced that the P springs are pretty harsh still.

how are you all finding somewhere to install them? My detailer/semi performance shop has done some tesla springs, but I wouldnt want to trust them with installing and setting a full suspension...

Unplugged Performance has a form on their site where you can have them send you their authorized installers in your area. If you use one of those installers they can work with UP for any issues or challenges they have during the install.

Reactions: GeezerSquid
I’m comparing this kit to MPP comfort coil overs. Leaning towards MPP but I don’t think anyone has received those yet either but MPP told me they just started shipping the preorders. Doubt I’ll get to see any side by side reviews of MPP and UPP though.
It was an easy decision for me. MPP uses the KW V3 coilovers, twin tube design; UPP uses Hyperco springs and Ohlins shocks, monotube design. I went with MPP.

Reactions: SPCBL1
I had the UPP coilovers installed, and it wasn’t the best experience. The results are okay, not great.

UPP advertises that with the kit you can raise or lower the car by about an inch in either direction. In practice, the kit they send in the mail will lower your car by about half an inch. If you want to keep it stock or raise it, UPP has to send different springs for the rear. This isn’t articulated in the listing, so people should be aware of that.

Partially as a result of this, I had to pay to have the kit reinstalled after UPP sent the replacement springs. My installer discounted the second one slightly, but I still ended up spending almost $1500 on installation alone.

In retrospect with something like this, you probably want to work with the vendor and the installer ahead of time, make sure everybody is clear on what you’re trying to achieve and that everybody is comfortable it can be done.

Now that I have the coilovers installed, it definitely rides better than before. I had an early VIN, and the ride sucked compared to the 3 I traded in. The car floats a little bit on the softer ride settings, but it’s tolerable. The downside is that going over bumps is much louder than with the stock suspension. I don’t know how the MPP equivalent compares. In my case I’m better off than I was before, but certainly not $4,000 better off.

I should add - the service from UPP was very good. After the first install they were able to pretty quickly identify what was wrong. They sent the replacement springs quickly and for free. They also offered to FaceTime with my installer while the work was being done to ensure that everything was installed properly.

I had the UPP coilovers installed, and it wasn’t the best experience. The results are okay, not great.

UPP advertises that with the kit you can raise or lower the car by about an inch in either direction. In practice, the kit they send in the mail will lower your car by about half an inch. If you want to keep it stock or raise it, UPP has to send different springs for the rear. This isn’t articulated in the listing, so people should be aware of that.

Partially as a result of this, I had to pay to have the kit reinstalled after UPP sent the replacement springs. My installer discounted the second one slightly, but I still ended up spending almost $1500 on installation alone.

In retrospect with something like this, you probably want to work with the vendor and the installer ahead of time, make sure everybody is clear on what you’re trying to achieve and that everybody is comfortable it can be done.

Now that I have the coilovers installed, it definitely rides better than before. I had an early VIN, and the ride sucked compared to the 3 I traded in. The car floats a little bit on the softer ride settings, but it’s tolerable. The downside is that going over bumps is much louder than with the stock suspension. I don’t know how the MPP equivalent compares. In my case I’m better off than I was before, but certainly not $4,000 better off.
Which UP coilovers did you buy? The 'street' ones?

yeah that’s the feedback I’ve been reading. Has anyone installed and reviewed the MPP comfort coil over yet that you’ve seen? When are yours due to arrive?
I haven't seen anyone mention they've received the MPP adjustable coilovers. I'm sure we'll see posts when people start getting tracking numbers. I was expecting mine to be early February but considering there are a few before me in queue and I haven't heard anything, I'm assuming the shipment from Germany hasn't arrived.

Reactions: SPCBL1