Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unplugged Performance - Mild Springs - Creaking Noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've recently had the Unplugged Performance Mild springs installed on my Performance Model 3 (minus). Everything seemed good right afterwards, but now I'm noticing some creaking noises at very low speeds (pulling out of the garage, turning onto a street, etc.). It seems like it has been getting worse, but just makes the car feel like a creaky mess.

The installer is saying it could be some rubber pieces associated with the springs kit or possibly and alignment issue.

Has anyone had a similar issue?

I've recently had the Unplugged Performance Mild springs installed on my Performance Model 3 (minus). Everything seemed good right afterwards, but now I'm noticing some creaking noises at very low speeds (pulling out of the garage, turning onto a street, etc.). It seems like it has been getting worse, but just makes the car feel like a creaky mess.

The installer is saying it could be some rubber pieces associated with the springs kit or possibly and alignment issue.

Do the noises come from one wheel, or all four?
Fronts, or rears?

First of all, check that all bolts got torqued back up to spec (upper strut mounts, etc). Start with the wheel that makes the most noises.
Secondly, springs should be insulated from the metal suspension pieces by plastic/rubber pads. It is entirely possible that the installer did not seat the springs correctly in them, or forgot to install the altogether. Jack the wheels up, and inspect one by one yourself.

HTH,
a

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Do the noises come from one wheel, or all four?
Fronts, or rears?

First of all, check that all bolts got torqued back up to spec (upper strut mounts, etc). Start with the wheel that makes the most noises.
Secondly, springs should be insulated from the metal suspension pieces by plastic/rubber pads. It is entirely possible that the installer did not seat the springs correctly in them, or forgot to install the altogether. Jack the wheels up, and inspect one by one yourself.

HTH,
a

I just went out and drove it a little. It sounds like the sound is just coming from the passenger front tire. I do see the boot installed in there, but maybe something else with the install isn't correct.

Now I wish I had a jack to lift it up, but my garage is deficient there. :)

Reactions: enjetek
I just went out and drove it a little. It sounds like the sound is just coming from the passenger front tire. I do see the boot installed in there, but maybe something else with the install isn't correct.

OK, that's a start.
Now look into the front wheel wells, and see if you can spot any differences in how the plastic/rubber pads are seated on top of, and underneath of, the spring between the two front corners!

You kinda need a jack to have a properly view, though.

Now I wish I had a jack to lift it up, but my garage is deficient there. :)

It's never too late to fix this - either Costco, Autozone, or Harbor Freight can help you out!
:cool:

I've recently had the Unplugged Performance Mild springs installed on my Performance Model 3 (minus).

Can't help with noise, but have a question (and a jack suggestion). When did you order? I'm getting worried as I ordered the same springs (mild P3D-) in mid-March and have heard nothing, despite email and voice messages, except my credit card being charged.

Harbor Frieght low profile jacks are hard to beat.I have a 3 ton that cost $70 (a little patience and everything goes on sale there).

Reactions: skinsfan
Can't help with noise, but have a question (and a jack suggestion). When did you order? I'm getting worried as I ordered the same springs (mild P3D-) in mid-March and have heard nothing, despite email and voice messages, except my credit card being charged.

Harbor Frieght low profile jacks are hard to beat.I have a 3 ton that cost $70 (a little patience and everything goes on sale there).
The harbor freight jacks work pretty well for light duty work, especially for the price. Had mine for years but I only sparingly use it. Wouldn’t use it for daily heavy duty work though.

I ordered mine in like early December last year. It took a few months to get them.

Ive also noticed a slight creaking sound as OP described under slow speeds after my milds were installed. The bigger complaint I have is clanking sound over dips in the rear. Took all luxury feel out of the car hearing these noises. I already spoke with UP and they are expecting a new batch of springs in a few weeks so Ill probably swap them out at that time. I dont have a jack so I cant really take a look at whats going on under the car.

OP - did you search this issue?

I’ve made multiple posts here about my expletive with UP springs.

I had Moderate springs installed on my m3. They made a lot of clanking / knocking sounds.

UP asked me to come in and replaced the rear springs. Noise in rear went away.

Weeks later, same noise could be heard
From front springs.

UP asked me to come back for 3rd time & this time - they replaced all 4 springs with SP.

It’s been a few months on SP & I’m just now starting to hear the clunk/clang noises again from all over the car

I guess I’ll be going back to UP a 4th time ..

OP - did you search this issue?

I’ve made multiple posts here about my expletive with UP springs.

I had Moderate springs installed on my m3. They made a lot of clanking / knocking sounds.

UP asked me to come in and replaced the rear springs. Noise in rear went away.

Weeks later, same noise could be heard
From front springs.

UP asked me to come back for 3rd time & this time - they replaced all 4 springs with SP.

It’s been a few months on SP & I’m just now starting to hear the clunk/clang noises again from all over the car

I guess I’ll be going back to UP a 4th time ..

Thanks for the info.

Because I'm out in Florida, I'm left to the wolves somewhat on supporting problems. They will converse about issues and offer guesses, but I have to pay full price for every little actual change to the setup.

In the end I didn't think it was worth keeping the springs, as I didn't see a marked improvement in the ride and I started bottoming out a lot more than I'm comfortable with. So, just had the shop swap the springs back to the OEM ones.

I informed UP about my decision, and they didn't honestly seem to care one way or the other. So, I'm left with a box of pretty blue springs and nothing to do with them.

Thanks for the info.

Because I'm out in Florida, I'm left to the wolves somewhat on supporting problems. They will converse about issues and offer guesses, but I have to pay full price for every little actual change to the setup.

In the end I didn't think it was worth keeping the springs, as I didn't see a marked improvement in the ride and I started bottoming out a lot more than I'm comfortable with. So, just had the shop swap the springs back to the OEM ones.

I informed UP about my decision, and they didn't honestly seem to care one way or the other. So, I'm left with a box of pretty blue springs and nothing to do with them.

Just noticed my previous post shows "...about my expletive with UP springs" LOL. I totally did not type an expletive in that sentence. I meant to type "experience" Ha!

That sucks about going back to stock, but I'm guessing the PM3 has a better suspension that my NonP AWD 3.

Also, the stock springs on the P3 don't have such a large wheel gap as the non P, am I right?

I am also considering going back to the stock springs, but the 5 inch wheel gap is just retarded looking

Just noticed my previous post shows "...about my expletive with UP springs" LOL. I totally did not type an expletive in that sentence. I meant to type "experience" Ha!

That sucks about going back to stock, but I'm guessing the PM3 has a better suspension that my NonP AWD 3.

Also, the stock springs on the P3 don't have such a large wheel gap as the non P, am I right?

I am also considering going back to the stock springs, but the 5 inch wheel gap is just retarded looking

No worries

I have the performance version without the upgrade package from the time. So, I believe the suspension is essentially the same as AWD version, including the wheel gap. I honestly don't mind the gap myself, as lowering the car was never a goal in getting the springs. I really just wanted to see if I can improve the ride, to make it better for long trips. It's still pretty good for long trips in stock form, but would be nice to have it a little smoother. :)

No worries

I really just wanted to see if I can improve the ride, to make it better for long trips. It's still pretty good for long trips in stock form, but would be nice to have it a little smoother. :)

If you’re looking for better ride comfort, i think almost any lowering spring will be worse than stock.

The higher you sit, the more comfort.

If you’re looking for a smoother ride, I think you may need to change your shocks - bc they’re the ones who do the heavy lifting when it comes to ride comfort

Reactions: android04

check that they seated the springs correctly in the OEM Upper hats. I had a new suspension put on my track Miata and it's creaking drove me nuts.... took it to several shops, no one figured it out. Took it to the local Mazda dealer, a young tech figure it out in ten minutes with a minor flashlight inspection. They reseated the spring into the upper seat and I've had no creaking since.

Check the part that the installer turned to seat against the head of the spring (the end) see 2:33 in the video..and 3:06 for the lower spring seat..

Last edited:
I took my car into UP a few weeks ago.

As the post above shows, the UP techs simply reseated the springs. UP took about an hour to do this, pretty quick.

...and the noise has went away ...for the most part — although I do still hear the clunk once in a while, it has reduced the clunking noise significantly - I’d say 90% decrease.

I’m willing to live with that bc the performance of the springs is just amazing - the car handles soo much better than stock.

So, overall: I’m happy with UPs customer service and their willingness to stick with the problem and eventually bring it to a satisfactory ending. Thanks UP

Reactions: untilcomplete