Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unplugged Performance mild vs moderate? Personal experiences?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking to get some springs to lower my MYP when it comes in. I'm fairly certain I want to get them from UPP (the Eibach lower the rear more, which I find odd).

I'm interested in a lowered look, improved handling and a smoother ride. With that said, I was going to play it safe and order the mild version. However, I read the description on their site that states the moderate version should also feel "more comfortable around town". I copied the description below.

Does anyone have experience with either? Thoughts on how it handled? How comfortable the ride was? Did it really improve range, as stated in the final bit I copied below?

• Moderate provides an approximate 1.5″ drop on non-performance Model Y trims and an approximate 1″ drop on the Model Y Performance with slightly more comfort around town and significantly sportier handling in corners.
  • Mild provides an approximate 1″ drop on non-performance Model Y and an approximate 0.5″ drop on the Model Y Performance with more comfort around town and sportier handling in corners.

AERODYNAMICS:​

• During our comprehensive aerodynamic study of Model 3, we tested the efficacy of our Dual Rate Linear Lowering Springs using CFD, and the results were dramatic. After installation of the Moderate Version of our Dual Rate Linear Lowering Springs (1.5″ lower ride height), a decrease of 8.1% in total vehicle drag resulted, with a reduction of the total vehicle drag coefficient by 0.019 (factory ride height = 28.5″ baseline, measured at the center of the front fender).

Reactions: rusmo
FYI I inquired about the moderate springs a couple months ago, and was surprised to get an email back saying that, with the moderate springs, they highly recommend getting the rear adjustable control arms as well. They said the camber would be off with the stock control arms enough that excessive tire wear would be a problem. Apparently, the mild springs don't necessarily require the adjustable control arms.

Hey there, Blake from UP here! If you want to improve comfort and sport-like handling, we recommend turning some attention to the Model Y Luxury or sport coil-overs. One of the most common statements our clients relay to us is the surprisingly firm ride the Model Y Provides from the factory. The coil-overs come at an additional cost but drastically improve the ride experience.

The springs are a great option to open the door to vehicle modification. Still, anytime you lower the vehicle (especially one that weighs nearly 4,415lbs), the spring rate needs to increase, resulting in a firmer (or sporty) overall ride. Furthermore, any alteration to the car's height will inherently affect its overall geometry. This will result, often, in some negative camber. While these results can result in minor improved cornering and braking, it comes at the cost of straight-line maximum grip and some additional tire wear. So, camber arms can often help save you some of the cost of a set of tires in the long run.

Aerodynamics certainly improve at lower ride heights. You will only notice a slight improvement at speeds near or exceeding 70mph. We're talking a few percent gained here or there.

Feel free to shoot me a message for any additional info or questions! - Blake @ Unplugged Performance.