Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unplugged Performance Moderate Springs Installed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the website it'll drop a non performance by 1" and a performance by 0.5".
Where does it say that? Not on the comfort spring page as far as I can tell. Are you referring to the regular lowering springs?

Dual-Rate Linear Comfort Spring Set for Tesla Model Y Performance and Dual Motor

Get the comfort and handling benefits of our famous lowering springs without lowering your vehicle. These springs will give a Dual Motor LR or a Performance a similar ride height to a stock Model Y Performance with improved ride quality and handling.

Where does it say that? Not on the comfort spring page as far as I can tell. Are you referring to the regular lowering springs?

Dual-Rate Linear Comfort Spring Set for Tesla Model Y Performance and Dual Motor

Get the comfort and handling benefits of our famous lowering springs without lowering your vehicle. These springs will give a Dual Motor LR or a Performance a similar ride height to a stock Model Y Performance with improved ride quality and handling.

I just noticed there's a "COMFORT" and a "MILD" and a "MODERATE". I thought COMFORT and MILD were the same but I guess not, let me clarify with Unplugged. I just ordered the MILD today. Also, I just emailed Unplugged and asked when the backorder for the comfort mild will be in, and they said in approximately 4 weeks.

Unplugged Performance Dual Rate Linear Lowering Springs Tesla Model Y

• Moderate provides an approximate 1.5″ drop on non-performance Model Y trims and an approximate 1″ drop on the Model Y Performance with slightly more comfort around town and significantly sportier handling in corners.
  • Mild provides an approximate 1″ drop on non-performance Model Y and an approximate 0.5″ drop on the Model Y Performance with more comfort around town and sportier handling in corners.

Last edited:
Reactions: frankvb
UPP terminology is confusing. This is what Eric Torres emailed me Friday, Jan. 8:

"We currently have three spring options available for the Model Y: Comfort, Mild, and Moderate. The Comfort spring is the one that will best suite your purposes."

Since I'm looking to soften my suspension, to compensate for DFW region horrendous uneven concrete, Eric strongly recommended the Comfort spring. He assured me the stock shocks wouldn't be impacted negatively by the slightly shortened spring travel.

Reactions: frankvb and bpon89
UPP terminology is confusing. This is what Eric Torres emailed me Friday, Jan. 8:

"We currently have three spring options available for the Model Y: Comfort, Mild, and Moderate. The Comfort spring is the one that will best suite your purposes."

Since I'm looking to soften my suspension, to compensate for DFW region horrendous uneven concrete, Eric strongly recommended the Comfort spring. He assured me the stock shocks wouldn't be impacted negatively by the slightly shortened spring travel.

Cool thanks for sharing. They should put all 3 options on the same page rather than split it. I was wondering if the shocks would be impacted by any of these 3 springs so thanks for that info. I think I'll stick with the MILD 1" drop option though since it should already sit higher than a Model 3, hopefully I won't have any issues with speed bumps or curbs like I've had before on lowered cars.

I had a model 3 and didn't have any issues riding at 5.5 inch ground clearance stock height (according to specs online). So a Model Y lowered 1 inch from 6.6 inch ground clereance stock height, should be almost the same as a Model 3. I live in SoCal so going over speed bumps and going up curbs into plazas are a daily thing. Unplugged also got back to me saying many of their cars riding with 60,000 driven miles so far with these springs have no known shock issues so far. Hope this helps.

I had a model 3 and didn't have any issues riding at 5.5 inch ground clearance stock height (according to specs online). So a Model Y lowered 1 inch from 6.6 inch ground clereance stock height, should be almost the same as a Model 3. I live in SoCal so going over speed bumps and going up curbs into plazas are a daily thing. Unplugged also got back to me saying many of their cars riding with 60,000 driven miles so far with these springs have no known shock issues so far. Hope this helps.

I ordered the moderate. I own a Y a 3 and a lowered S and feel like even an inch and a half will have minimum affect on the stock shocks.

Reactions: bpon89
(Thread drift: Does anyone here know who makes the shocks for Teslas?)

Good question! As many people here think the springs determine how the car feels - it’s more the shocks that determine the ride quality. The springs primarily hold the car up (ride height & modulation) but the shocks determine the rate of modulation - so the ride quality/bumpiness.

I’m very impressed w the UPP moderate springs - and when I need to replace the stock Tesla shocks, I’ll choose a bit more mild damper to improve ride quality while keeping the UPP moderate ride height - which looks perfect IMO.
DDC627CB-E637-4FD8-90E3-30F621E71BF0.jpeg

@Y_NOT have you noticed any differences in efficiency/range since adding the wheels and lowering the car? Do you know if the Rotiforms weigh more/less then the oem wheels you swapped them with?

I havent really pay attention to range/efficiency after wheels & drop. Compare to stock induction 20” wheels (31.56lbs), rotiforms(32lbs) are 0.44lbs heavier but 0.5 wider in width :)

Good question! As many people here think the springs determine how the car feels - it’s more the shocks that determine the ride quality. The springs primarily hold the car up (ride height & modulation) but the shocks determine the rate of modulation - so the ride quality/bumpiness.

I’m very impressed w the UPP moderate springs - and when I need to replace the stock Tesla shocks, I’ll choose a bit more mild damper to improve ride quality while keeping the UPP moderate ride height - which looks perfect IMO. View attachment 628348

This is super interesting...so why so much focus on the springs and full coilovers? Are there even shocks/strut cartridges out there to choose from for the MY that are more forgiving than stock?

A lot of people get springs for the lowered look which does change ride quality to some extent. If the springs are too stiff then you can have premature wear of your shocks. Coilovers systems are usually designed together to match the spring and shock portion as well as often times being adjustable (ride height and shock dampening/rebound). This is why they are so much more expensive than just replacing springs alone.

Reactions: 52 16 57 39
Agreed.

I can install springs, so $400 bucks to change the look and ride height was worth it to me. However for me to jump to coil overs (I don’t track or race) would be closer to $3-4K or more ... and my wife would never agree to such frivolity.

I like the look/stance of a mild drop. And it’s worth it for me at $400 bucks.

Happy spouse, Happy house.

Agreed.

I can install springs, so $400 bucks to change the look and ride height was worth it to me. However for me to jump to coil overs (I don’t track or race) would be closer to $3-4K or more ... and my wife would never agree to such frivolity.

I like the look/stance of a mild drop. And it’s worth it for me at $400 bucks.

Happy spouse, Happy house.
Was the ride more comfortable though? Most complaint is that it's too bumpy especially for the rear passengers, my kids fall asleep easy with the bumpy but I still want to improve the comfort.. I was hoping these MIld Springs would help improve comfort and handling (reduced body roll). The springs are backordered per an email last week saying it would take approximately 4 weeks to come back in stock. It's about $300 for UPP to install springs, but $600 for the coilovers.

When I got the moderate springs installed at Unplugged, I gave them feedback a few days later about how nice it would be if they offered a strut that pairs with the springs. I had this on a previous car (2011 WRX with GTWORX/Bilstein shocks and their own custom paired springs) and it rode INCREDIBLE.

Unplugged said they'd take my feedback back to the team. But maybe if more people ask for it, they'll look into it more seriously. As far as I know and from what they said, it isn't something that's on their development roadmap. A strut/spring combo for around 1.2-1.5k might be more appealing to more people than 2-3k on coilovers that most people will just set it once and forget it and not leverage the adjustability capabilities.