Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unplugged Performance Pikes Peak Plaid (Plaid Peak) Testing - one interesting note

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So for those of you who haven't seen this posted elsewhere, Unplugged Performance is again teaming up with Randy Pobst to take on Pikes Peak. Last year Randy was driving a Model 3 and got caught out in practice and crashed. He still raced, but on very reduced top speed.

This year they're back...with a Plaid!

One huge thing to note, apparently the car's upgraded cells / thermal management is enough to retain full power deep into the pack. So despite the legacy cell form factor, it would appear that the car's on-track performance is much improved vs. the older S's.

"Power is the big one. This is more than four times the power we ended up racing last year. Unintentionally so," Schaffer said. Obviously, the Model S is heavier than the Model 3, however, "the battery pack and the cooling systems are much better."

Illustrating this point, Schaffer points out that as the state of charge decreased in the Model 3, "the power would go down in ratio to some degree." The same does not hold true
for the Unplugged Performance's Pikes Plaid racer. At one point Pobst rolled into the pits at Laguna Seca with 34 percent charge remaining, only to announce the car feels as quick as it does with a full charge. "That's a big difference."

Exterior, roll cage, and stripped interior aside, I think enthusiasts would really want to know about the internal tweaks/settings/data/...etc... UP get access to.

Supposedly Randy helped with M3 track mode, but the Pike's Peak vehicle can't be used for that.

Right. They were at the track, in a fully prepped car, 48 hours later. No doubt they had their car well before the delivery event.
Right now UP and Probst are teslas unofficial race team

Reactions: FlatSix911
They didn't exactly publish a press release with the info.

But from what I have picked up on social media, it didn't overheat at all.
That would be awesome! If UP or Randy are saying that on social media please point me to that. I don’t follow all social media and could very have missed it. But, all I see are folks inferring cooling results from the SOC results. They are different.

"Even more impressive and true to Tesla's word, the Plaid is capable of posting those times consistently, never varying by more than a fraction of a second or so each time we rocketed down the strip. We've never tested a car so robotic in its consistency."

They didn't exactly publish a press release with the info.

But from what I have picked up on social media, it didn't overheat at all.
That would be awesome! If UP or Randy are saying that on social media please point me to that. I don’t follow all social media and could very have missed it. But, all I see are folks inferring cooling results from the SOC results. They are different.

There's been little to no info on torque vectoring with the dual rear motors. Prob overspeed the outside wheel as a function of speed and steering angle and not just mimic torque vectoring by braking/dragging the inside wheel. This should be a game changer for anyone taking their car to the track.

Anyone looking for a wing?

Screen Shot 2021-06-21 at 6.31.26 PM.png

Randy Pobst Looks Ready To Tackle Pikes Peak In This New Tesla Model S From Unplugged Performance @ Top Speed

Reactions: Needsdecaf