Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unplugged Performance Race Spec Coilover Suspension Kit for Tesla Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. I have recently received my model 3 performance and I am looking to add coilovers. I wanted Unplugged performance coilovers, but the normal ones are sold out with no estimate of when they will be back in stock. I then began to look at MPP coilovers and noticed that they have two versions, a race version, and a comfort version. After reading about MPP I was almost sold on them, but I went back to Unplugged one more time and I noticed that they have two other coilovers besides their normal coilovers. Unplugged also has a race-spec coilover, and they have it in stock. After reading the description, it says that they are more firm than stock on the streets. My question is this. Has anyone tried the race spec coilvers by Unplugged, and if so what are your impressions? I have seen lots of videos and posts about their normal coilovers with the green springs, but none on these race-spec coilovers.

Tesla-Model-3-Unplugged-Performance-1-Way-Race-Coilover-Suspension-1200x1200.jpg

The first question is - do you want or need "race" coilovers. If you are only ever going to drive on the street, the answer is unequivocally no. Unless you like to ride in dump trucks, then perhaps you may feel differently.

The second question is how much do you value quality and customer service. If these are something you value, I would suggest something other than UP.

Finally, MPP sells three coilovers 'levels'. Comfort, Sport, and Competition. It sounds like you would like the Sports, but I found the Comfort's to be a far superior option to the stock suspension, especially given you are in a mild climate area. Either the Comfort's or the Sport's would be a great replacement for the stock parts.

The first question is - do you want or need "race" coilovers. If you are only ever going to drive on the street, the answer is unequivocally no. Unless you like to ride in dump trucks, then perhaps you may feel differently.

The second question is how much do you value quality and customer service. If these are something you value, I would suggest something other than UP.

Finally, MPP sells three coilovers 'levels'. Comfort, Sport, and Competition. It sounds like you would like the Sports, but I found the Comfort's to be a far superior option to the stock suspension, especially given you are in a mild climate area. Either the Comfort's or the Sport's would be a great replacement for the stock parts.
I appreciate the honest feedback, thank you.

Unless you are tracking your M3 on a regular you don't really need any "Race" coilovers. However, not all "Race" coilovers are created equal. Some are rather capable on the street and have very good manners. It's really a personal preference and what you can tolerate. Lots of BMW guys run 2 or 3Way reservoir damper systems on the street and still have all their teeth. The kit you have pictured looks to have Swift 90/120 Kg springs, that is perfectly fine for street and track dual duty(might even be too soft for track for some). I run 90/120 Swift springs on myM3P with MCS 2WNR and and I find the ride quality to be a bit firmer than factory upfront and more compliant than factory in the rear.

Green, bronze or blue are just the different ID Swift springs. Green is 70 mm and bronze is 65mm ID. Swift is consider one of the best springs out there with very consistent rates, thinnest coils to give you the most stroke and the lightest weight possible. Most springs used on less expensive coilovers will lose height(also known as sag) overtime. In my shop's experience, KW V-series is the worse at losing height, especially when a progressive springs is used. If you can get quality coilovers with Swift springs or Hyperco, do it. Do a research on Swift springs and you will see why they are loved by many.

I have them.

They take about a month to get softer. At first they are pretty tight on all bumps. They are still a rough ride. I do an hour commute from SJ -> SF every day with them and I feel the bumps for sure.

That being said they are a lot of fun at the track!

Very good customer service from UP throughout... Very responsive.

I'd say if you have a long commute with a lot of bumps there are better options for you, if you have a shorter commute or a lot of smooth/curvy roads and want to go to the track go for it.

They take about a month to get softer. At first they are pretty tight on all bumps. They are still a rough ride. I do an hour commute from SJ -> SF every day with them and I feel the bumps for sure.
That is very interesting that the coilovers got softer after about a month? Swift springs are good and don't lose their static height or rate over time. Did the dampers lose damping?

My MCS 2WNR didn't change any from day 1. Slightly firmer(I could have gone with lower rate springs to further improve the ride quality but there was more nose dive than I liked) than OE up front and much more compliant than OE in the rear.