Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Unplugged Performance Refresh Fascia Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did a little Photoshop. I think it looks great. Has anyone done this?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170823-144831.png
    Screenshot_20170823-144831.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 294
Reactions: UnpluggedP
I would like the refresh as well but still have not found one I like. I feel the unplugged would look okay on any dark car but mine is white. The opening just doesn't look right to me. I love the new face on the 2017s but unplugged has not nailed it in my opinion.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170821-140921.png
    Screenshot_20170821-140921.png
    881.2 KB · Views: 232
Reactions: FlatSix911
My car is still at the shop having the refresh front fascia installed, I am planning to have the V strip painted in signature red like the rest of the fascia ( and car). The emblem holder will not be painted. Do you have any photos of cars painted this way? So, no black strip at the top. I was wondering whether any chrome might be necessary there, in which case, the plan is to get a chrome wrap on the areas covered in the current standard modelS.
I have taken the opportunity to install a lighted front T.
Incidentally, the sensor brackets you supply are very brittle, and in fact two were DOA in the plastic bag. A third snapped when the technician tried to install a sensor. He was being gentle. I watched him. Accordingly, had to get replacements from Tesla ( they only had 4 in stock for the whole country). But the shop will get the remaining two off the original nose. ( NOT a Tesla certified shop, but a quality shop none the less).

I was comfortable giving them the job because I have previously personally removed my original fascia and know that it really is quite basic and easy.

In regards to the jumper posts, I purchased appropriate battery flush mount terminals from a boat electrical supply shop and routed extension wires to the upper inner wheel well. They are completely invisible and do not foul the wheel. In an emergency, jumper leads could be placed there to allow the fob to pop the hood. Probably overkill, with your cable release system, but saves taking the lining out of the frunk to get to them after mechanically popping the hood.

question
can tesla deny extended warranty if this front refresh is done? the tesla store local told me they won't extend once factory warranty expires
if the car is not factory equipped??

They wrote in a previous post:

As to the warranty,we have over 100 refreshes on cars and we've been providing our parts for years around the world. Over those years we've had many client cars go in for routine maintenance at Tesla and nobody hasreported any void of warranty. We engineer our parts to attach in a factory way using factory attachment pointsand to not interfere with any factory functionality.

Personally, I want to do this but am extremely leery because of the warranty. Even though there has not been any reported issues, all it takes is one SC to fight it and technically you might be voiding your warranty, not sure of the specifics. Just because there is no reported issues, doesn't mean your not voiding your warranty.

Last edited:
I would have thought that putting on aftermarket wheels would be far more likely to void a warranty given the engineering is unknown and they bear all the loads transmitted by the vehicle. That does not seem to be the case. This is a non structural part and Tesla is happy to supply components to a non approved body shop, which they won't do for structural components, insisting that structural work needs to be done only at approved shops. I strongly doubt that this fascia will void any warranties.

What about theft from the front trunk ... frunk?

Great question. For any owners not aware, Tesla actually already makes it very easy to manually open the frunk for easy access and advises against storing valuables there. As reported by Electreck and other outlets, this is not a flaw but by design to allow the battery to be disabled in the event of a fire. See article here Tesla front trunks can open without a key but it’s an important safety feature – not a ‘flaw’

Unplugged. Are you able to send me images of more white model s refresh jobs from various angles.

Thanks

PM sent

question
can tesla deny extended warranty if this front refresh is done? the tesla store local told me they won't extend once factory warranty expires
if the car is not factory equipped??

We have customers around the world and with every year and spec from 2012-2016.5 and have not heard of any warranty issues at all. In the US you also have additional protection under the Magnus and Moss Act.

My car is still at the shop having the refresh front fascia installed, I am planning to have the V strip painted in signature red like the rest of the fascia ( and car). The emblem holder will not be painted. Do you have any photos of cars painted this way? So, no black strip at the top. I was wondering whether any chrome might be necessary there, in which case, the plan is to get a chrome wrap on the areas covered in the current standard modelS.
Incidentally, the sensor brackets you supply are very brittle, and in fact two were DOA in the plastic bag. A third snapped when the technician tried to install a sensor. He was being gentle. I watched him. Accordingly, had to get replacements from Tesla ( they only had 4 in stock for the whole country). But the shop will get the remaining two off the original nose. ( NOT a Tesla certified shop, but a quality shop none the less).

I was comfortable giving them the job because I have previously personally removed my original fascia and know that it really is quite basic and easy.

In regards to the jumper posts, I purchased appropriate battery flush mount terminals from a boat electrical supply shop and routed extension wires to the upper inner wheel well. They are completely invisible and do not foul the wheel. In an emergency, jumper leads could be placed there to allow the fob to pop the hood. Probably overkill, with your cable release system, but saves taking the lining out of the frunk to get to them after mechanically popping the hood.

Unfortunately, we do not have any pictures of the Signature Red with a body color V stripe but I do think it would look great! As for the sensor clips, we are currently working with Unplugged Australia to get you a replacement set. Please be advised that the clips supplied are made specifically for the Refresh and the factory sensor clips from Tesla will not work.

They wrote in a previous post:

As to the warranty,we have over 100 refreshes on cars and we've been providing our parts for years around the world. Over those years we've had many client cars go in for routine maintenance at Tesla and nobody hasreported any void of warranty. We engineer our parts to attach in a factory way using factory attachment pointsand to not interfere with any factory functionality.

Personally, I want to do this but am extremely leery because of the warranty. Even though there has not been any reported issues, all it takes is one SC to fight it and technically you might be voiding your warranty, not sure of the specifics. Just because there is no reported issues, doesn't mean your not voiding your warranty.

Warranty is an understandable concern. We can only attest to our own experience and that of our customers as we are not Tesla. However, I can tell you that we have a great relationship with Tesla, that a number of higher ups within the company are running our parts, Tesla themselves came to us for a Refresh for their Veteran's Project car and that there have been no reported warranty issues from our customers in the US, Europe, Asia, Australia or anywhere else, including those who have been in accidents.

Further update.
My car is still in the shop. They have spent an entire day fixing the flaws and imperfections found on the moulding. While my end result will likely be good, there is significant additional labour expense. They found pits in the plastic and at least one significant fold in the plastic, all of which would have stood out like a sore thumb. There was also an obvious repair which had not been fully sanded down and was again going to show once painted in gloss.
Unfortunately the sensor brackets supplied are very brittle and fragile and others had to be sourced direct from Tesla. Some will be harvested from my old bumper bar.
I really think Unplugged will need to spend a lot more time on quality control before exporting the product. Doubtless, in house, these things are just fixed. But here, using 3rd party panel shops, time is a great deal of money. It is likely my installation cost will be double the original quote of $1000.

Attachments

• IMG_1455.JPG
    IMG_1455.JPG
    262 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_1456.JPG
    IMG_1456.JPG
    484.9 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_1457.JPG
    IMG_1457.JPG
    240.5 KB · Views: 205
  • Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Further update.
My car is still in the shop. They have spent an entire day fixing the flaws and imperfections found on the moulding. While my end result will likely be good, there is significant additional labour expense. They found pits in the plastic and at least one significant fold in the plastic, all of which would have stood out like a sore thumb. There was also an obvious repair which had not been fully sanded down and was again going to show once painted in gloss.
Unfortunately the sensor brackets supplied are very brittle and fragile and others had to be sourced direct from Tesla. Some will be harvested from my old bumper bar.
I really think Unplugged will need to spend a lot more time on quality control before exporting the product. Doubtless, in house, these things are just fixed. But here, using 3rd party panel shops, time is a great deal of money. It is likely my installation cost will be double the original quote of $1000.

Dborn, we received several emails with your concerns from our distributor – Unplugged Australia – early this morning, and shortly after arriving at the office, had already replied with our suggestions and solutions. We are sorry that the difference in geography did not permit us to reply quickly enough.

Regardless, our primary goal is to assist you and your installation facility as quickly as possible, so we will also reply publicly.

With regards to the areas you pointed out, it is common that sometimes during urethane injection molding, small air voids occur. As a result, during the manufacturing process, these voids will need to be infilled as necessary, thus leaving the mark you pointed out. However, during the normal paint preparation process (necessary for any auto body piece, even the OEM pieces in the state which they are delivered from Tesla), parts need to be routinely filled, block sanded and primed to ensure a flat / smooth surface for paint, which removes / hides small blemishes (including these, as well as from handling / shipping, etc.). This is not at all uncommon, so experienced collision repair facilities will typically expect this process, and if done correctly will not affect the finished painted surface [not visible].

The small “fold” you referenced appears to have developed during the shipping or storage process (we’ve also seen this occur as a result of improperly supporting the fascia on a stand during the paint prep / painting process), and can easily be remedied.

As far as the parking sensor holders supplied, in more than 50 different installations (both done in-house and abroad) using the version of the holder you received, this is the first time we have seen a set break. It appears that one of the broken holders was possibly damaged during transit, but for additional two holders pictured, it appears that they were handled quite roughly at some point, as large white scratches and scrapes are visible in the photos.

This morning, immediately following receipt of your emails from David at Unplugged Australia, we quickly created two videos presenting insertion and removal of an OEM parking sensor into the holders; the videos demonstrate the flexibility and resilience of the material. These videos were shared with David, but we can send them to you or your installation facility directly, if necessary.

Regardless, as mentioned previously, to help expedite your installation process, we have already contacted David at UP Australia and offered to FedEx a replacement set to you directly at our expense. (Please note that the OEM sensor holders are not compatible with the Fascia you received.) If you would like us to reach out to you directly to coordinate, we can do this, as well.

We look forward to doing whatever we can to help.

Best,
The Unplugged Performance Team

Last edited:
Hi Unplugged Performance Team,

I have a question to the towing eye. It is in a different position on facelift cars and behind the nosecone on pre-facelift models. How do you solve this with your replacement bumper? Is there a hole in the right position? Here in Germany, for example, the front towing eye is necessary for legal registration and "German TÜV".

Thanks, Peter

Hi Unplugged Performance Team,

I have a question to the towing eye. It is in a different position on facelift cars and behind the nosecone on pre-facelift models. How do you solve this with your replacement bumper? Is there a hole in the right position? Here in Germany, for example, the front towing eye is necessary for legal registration and "German TÜV".

Thanks, Peter

Great question Peter. We decided to produce our fascia without an opening for the tow hook as we felt it made for a cleaner design. Tesla recommends towing from the vehicle's lower suspension arms and we recommend the same. As for TÜV or any questions or concerns we actually have a distributor in Germany that would be happy to assist you Unplugged Performance | Contact Us

So we have no tow hook? And no theft protection for the front hood? Not really acceptable for a $3K retrofit :cool:

Great question Peter. We decided to produce our fascia without an opening for the tow hook as we felt it made for a cleaner design. Tesla recommends towing from the vehicle's lower suspension arms and we recommend the same. As for TÜV or any questions or concerns we actually have a distributor in Germany that would be happy to assist you Unplugged Performance | Contact Us

Great question. For any owners not aware, Tesla actually already makes it very easy to manually open the frunk for easy access and advises against storing valuables there. As reported by Electreck and other outlets, this is not a flaw but by design to allow the battery to be disabled in the event of a fire. See article here Tesla front trunks can open without a key but it’s an important safety feature – not a ‘flaw'

So we have no tow hook? And no theft protection for the front hood? Not really acceptable for a $3K retrofit :cool:

Hi Ted, as mentioned, after internal debate, and some outside feedback from several people we consulted with during the design phase, the consensus was that a tow hook “hole” looked unsightly and ruined the clean lines of the nose cone-less front end. As Tesla has always had a procedure for towing without a tow eye (the early Model S vehicles didn’t even include one), this option was suitable.

With regards to “theft protection,” do you mean the ability to access the frunk by using the emergency hood release system? If so, this is no different than Model X, nor facelifted Model S, as they both have emergency hood release systems (also, if you remove the nose cone from an older Model S, you can access the latch and release it). Fortunately, when the battery is not depleted, utilizing the emergency release causes the built-in alarm system to activate (the horn honking very loudly nonstop and lights flashing is a pretty good deterrent).

Hi Ted, as mentioned, after internal debate, and some outside feedback from several people we consulted with during the design phase, the consensus was that a tow hook “hole” looked unsightly and ruined the clean lines of the nose cone-less front end. As Tesla has always had a procedure for towing without a tow eye (the early Model S vehicles didn’t even include one), this option was suitable.

With regards to “theft protection,” do you mean the ability to access the frunk by using the emergency hood release system? If so, this is no different than Model X, nor facelifted Model S, as they both have emergency hood release systems (also, if you remove the nose cone from an older Model S, you can access the latch and release it). Fortunately, when the battery is not depleted, utilizing the emergency release causes the built-in alarm system to activate (the horn honking very loudly nonstop and lights flashing is a pretty good deterrent).

Thanks for the clarification on OEM theft protection alarm system.
Have you worked with any Insurance companies on installing a facelifted bumper on an older nose cone Model S?