Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unplugged Roadster, how long is TOO LONG...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can I use this thread to ask How Bad Is It if a Roadster battery goes completely dead?

Very bad. Lithium Ion batteries don't like to be really discharged below 30% let alone to 0%. However, if you were driving your Roadster and discharged it all the way down to 0% where it shutdown, then you immediately charge it... Its not as bad as leaving it unplugged (or plugged and having something odd happen like a tripped breaker), then discover say a month later that the car has completely drained and now won't take a charge. That's a bricked battery, and that's VERY bad as you could imagine.

I once drove my battery down to about 7-10% SOC just to see the VDS screen and how it reacted. Below 20 miles it basically says Range Unknown. I wanted to test it in a controlled manner rather than find out in an uncontrolled fashion.

Glad it made it. Were they not able to fully charge it before its journey?

They were able to do so in London but had to drive it to South Hampton to the port, so it wasn't full when they dropped it off...

- - - Updated - - -

Very bad. Unlike the Model S, the Roadster doesn't automatically disconnect the battery to protect it from fully discharging. If you completely drain the pack you'll turn it into a $40K paperweight.

It's only a $29K paperweight now, right ;-)