Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unplugged sway bars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had some issues with getting them installed. The original appointment for 2 Sat. ago cancelled on me and told me they wouldn't do it. I found another shop, made appointment for this past Sat. Got there and they all looked at me like I was crazy. Stated they never made the appointment and then stated they don't work on Teslas. :confused: Now I am slated for a 2.5 week mission, leaving Thursday eve. So, not happening as quickly and easily as I want but, money in the bank. I now have a line on a reputable shop that a Rep from UP gave me and they are more than eager to install. I could probably do it myself (I used to refurbish VW's) but, I'm fine tasking it out. My apologies for not having something for you all to review. It's coming but, sadly not for a couple more weeks.:(

UP Anti-Sway bars installed yesterday at Honolulu Speed Shop. Labor time: 2.5 hrs. Cost +tax: $327 for front/rear. Settings: Front: 1st or "soft". Rear: 2nd or "medium".

Took the day off to have this done AND run the car through turns/curves I normally drive around the island. Performed prior runs at different speeds (all above 40mph, up to 60mph) some time ago so, had a good idea of roll to expect. Performed runs yesterday, carved some long/short, sweeping curves, tighter turns. There is a significant decrease in body roll, without question. The vehicle moved through the turns, planted firmly, decreasing the effect of inertia on the arcs. I stayed firmly planted in my seat and barely noticed, if at all, pending speed into turn and subsequent acceleration/deceleration, perceptible body roll.

Conclusion: I'm not a "track" runner, though I do drive spiritedly, from time to time. For the money and the ability to adjust the settings, not to mention the quality and R&D that went into this system, I highly recommend this upgrade.

UP Anti-Sway bars installed yesterday at Honolulu Speed Shop. Labor time: 2.5 hrs. Cost +tax: $327 for front/rear. Settings: Front: 1st or "soft". Rear: 2nd or "medium".

Took the day off to have this done AND run the car through turns/curves I normally drive around the island. Performed prior runs at different speeds (all above 40mph, up to 60mph) some time ago so, had a good idea of roll to expect. Performed runs yesterday, carved some long/short, sweeping curves, tighter turns. There is a significant decrease in body roll, without question. The vehicle moved through the turns, planted firmly, decreasing the effect of inertia on the arcs. I stayed firmly planted in my seat and barely noticed, if at all, pending speed into turn and subsequent acceleration/deceleration, perceptible body roll.

Conclusion: I'm not a "track" runner, though I do drive spiritedly, from time to time. For the money and the ability to adjust the settings, not to mention the quality and R&D that went into this system, I highly recommend this upgrade.

Thanks for the review... wondering if you have any comment on any change in general ride/confort? Stiffer bars tend to make independent suspensions...less so.

Thanks for the review... wondering if you have any comment on any change in general ride/confort? Stiffer bars tend to make independent suspensions...less so.
Good question! I should have included that assessment, as well.
I run my tires at 40psi. Have since acquiring and assured all were right at 40 yesterday. The answer is: hard to tell. I did pay attention to the ride and I didn’t really notice much difference. That’s me and if you drove it you may feel a difference, maybe not. Sorry to seem a bit “cryptic”. Today’s drive to and from work was like all the others.

I just got UP sway bars (settings: mild front, medium rear) put in today in my LR AWD with stock suspension. There's a big difference in terms of body roll. The car feels drastically more planted especially in tight downhill loops. The steering does feel a little more responsive as well. There is also a slight increase in feedback from the road - I do feel the bumps a little more. I may be hallucinating but I feel that there's increased dampening as well (less reverb if it makes any sense). Overall considering the low cost it's a great first step for suspension upgrades, especially if your primary concern, like me, is the somewhat excessive amounts of body roll. I had them installed by UP - they charged $100.

• Love
Reactions: Skione65
I just got UP sway bars (settings: mild front, medium rear) put in today in my LR AWD with stock suspension. There's a big difference in terms of body roll. The car feels drastically more planted especially in tight downhill loops. The steering does feel a little more responsive as well. There is also a slight increase in feedback from the road - I do feel the bumps a little more. I may be hallucinating but I feel that there's increased dampening as well (less reverb if it makes any sense). Overall considering the low cost it's a great first step for suspension upgrades, especially if your primary concern, like me, is the somewhat excessive amounts of body roll. I had them installed by UP - they charged $100.

UP themselves did it or UP subbed it out? Where are they headquartered? Thought they were on the west coast. Fair price though it’s an easy install. Can’t wait to do it.

Ski

What settings are ya’ll using? medium rear, “soft” front?
Those are my settings. Actually, was recommended by another forum member that does some track time. I can tell you that over the last 6mos of taking the 3 through more and more daring turns at higher speeds, I’m extremely impressed! The 3 sticks to the road and body roll is neatly imperceptible! I’m not a track guy but, sometimes, on the roads under ideal conditions, I become one. :D

Reactions: Theraven