Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unplugged sway bars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you all for patiently waiting for the final revision to our production sway bars. These were further optimized after Randy Pobst's co-development and feedback.

We do now have all of our backorders fulfilled and we have inventory that is shipping regularly.

We've had a ton of great feedback from the TeslaCorsa community and from Randy Pobst himself. We can strongly suggest the paired front/rear set as a great handling upgrade that is really dialed in, can be felt right away, and without downside.

Here's Randy talking about them out at Buttonwillow Raceway:

Quick initial review 24 hr with Unplugged sway bars in place. Both in the middle setting. Car is stock P3D, save for forged 19s w/Bridgestone S700A's. I've done about 150 miles on them with 50 miles of canyon carving on roads that are a part of my daily commute/regular routes. They're very twisty with about 4k of elevation gain/loss per 15 miles.

Reduced body roll and less weight transfer immediately noticeable. Steering feels tighter and response seems more direct without being snappy. There may also be less bounce in general. Potentially a bit bumpier when only one side has drop/pothole, but not jarring, settles quickly, and not an issue imo. No difference in bumps affecting both sides equally that I've noticed.

Overall very pleased so far, especially for a low cost mod. I have no problem daily driving with these on middle settings.

@roguenode, thanks so much for the review! There is nothing more enjoyable for us than to see users talking about how the car has responded to our work!

BTW, our default setting advice is the front bar on one level lower than the rear bar (usually front bar on level one and rear bar on the middle setting). You might want to give that a try and see...the adjustability is great to have regardless and final setting is highly personal based on driving style and tire setup of course. For example Randy Pobst likes the rear bar on full firm and the front bar on the lowest setting (which is still a little more firm than the factory front bar)...although we are sadly not all like Randy Pobst with the gift of driving talent so the rear bar on mid setting is usually the right place to be.

@roguenode, thanks so much for the review! There is nothing more enjoyable for us than to see users talking about how the car has responded to our work!

BTW, our default setting advice is the front bar on one level lower than the rear bar (usually front bar on level one and rear bar on the middle setting). You might want to give that a try and see...the adjustability is great to have regardless and final setting is highly personal based on driving style and tire setup of course. For example Randy Pobst likes the rear bar on full firm and the front bar on the lowest setting (which is still a little more firm than the factory front bar)...although we are sadly not all like Randy Pobst with the gift of driving talent so the rear bar on mid setting is usually the right place to be.

Thanks, I'll be trying various settings in a couple of weeks and will start with lower in front.

Short Review of rear only
Due to scca rules I can only install one bar and remain in B street. I have a P3D that I've been autocrossing with some track time. I have always noticed some mid corner understeer. The rear bar went in really quickly, and I set it to the highest setting to see what it could do. Please note on unplugged website the list the stock bar as 16mm, the one removed from my car was 20 mm. The aftermarket bar is 22 mm but it is adjustable. I would like to see specifications of the difference between the performance bar and the unplugged bar. I have run two events since the installation of the bar, one course was tight and curvy and the other one had long sweeping corners. I noticed a marked improvement of the understeer. For my driving style and the complex nature of autocross courses I think that I would like an even thicker bar. At the Washington DC SCCA solo events there are two other performance model 3s that run in our group. They are usually achieve faster lap times than I do. At this weekend's event I was over a half second faster than either of them. It could have been a fluke or it could be that I am improving as a driver only time will tell at the final two events of the year. One of the other guys has bought the front bar to try on his car, he didn't have a chance to install it yet prior to this weekend's event. hopefully by the next event it will be installed and we can compare to having just the front or just the rear bar. Great quality bar although a little bit pricey!

Reactions: Ryefry
Rear bar installed. Super easy, bolted right up, 30 min taking my time with hand tools. Fit and finish is superb. Blue color stands out a bit, I wonder what service will think? Stock bar on the P3D is 20mm vs the standard 16mm listed on the unplugged website. Not sure how much difference I will notice at 22mm. Have it on the lowest setting to start and will try the different levels at the next couple of events. Wonder if I should start on the medium setting since the bars are closer in size.

Did you measure your stock P3D bar at 20mm? Is the part number on it 1044485-00-A?

Did you measure your stock P3D bar at 20mm? Is the part number on it 1044485-00-A?
I measured and that is the part number. See the attached picture, my caliper doesn't have batteries so ignore the display. It is an October 2018 delivery P3D.

Attachments

• IMG_20190822_175113.jpg
    IMG_20190822_175113.jpg
    449 KB · Views: 164
Reactions: Ryefry
Short Review of rear only
Due to scca rules I can only install one bar and remain in B street. I have a P3D that I've been autocrossing with some track time. I have always noticed some mid corner understeer. The rear bar went in really quickly, and I set it to the highest setting to see what it could do. Please note on unplugged website the list the stock bar as 16mm, the one removed from my car was 20 mm. The aftermarket bar is 22 mm but it is adjustable. I would like to see specifications of the difference between the performance bar and the unplugged bar. I have run two events since the installation of the bar, one course was tight and curvy and the other one had long sweeping corners. I noticed a marked improvement of the understeer. For my driving style and the complex nature of autocross courses I think that I would like an even thicker bar. At the Washington DC SCCA solo events there are two other performance model 3s that run in our group. They are usually achieve faster lap times than I do. At this weekend's event I was over a half second faster than either of them. It could have been a fluke or it could be that I am improving as a driver only time will tell at the final two events of the year. One of the other guys has bought the front bar to try on his car, he didn't have a chance to install it yet prior to this weekend's event. hopefully by the next event it will be installed and we can compare to having just the front or just the rear bar. Great quality bar although a little bit pricey!

Did you install the rear bar yourself? How 'easy' would you say it was? What tools will I need if I plan to DIY?

Did you install the rear bar yourself? How 'easy' would you say it was? What tools will I need if I plan to DIY?
Yup did it myself in about 15 minutes, I used a rattle gun to remove the bar from the links but hand tools would work. Just need a ratchet set and an Allen or torque but set of you don't have a rattle gun to hold the bolt as you take off the nuts. Be aware both rear tires need to be in the air with no pressure on them. Use a lift or nice jack stands.

Will I need jack points like these? https://amzn.to/2Lo9zb8

Not required but recommended. I have the exact same (Reverse Logic)) and they’re awesome. Highly recommended.
They’ll protect your jackpoints, I leave them in the subtrunk in the canister for the road (any issues) as well as if you visit a tire shop and they’re either not aware or don’t supply any at the shop. Will protect your rockers from the untrained /uninformed shop worker. I use them myself on my winter/summer rim/tire swap as well as rotations. Good all around.

Ski

Reactions: devildogDMD
What does a larger rear sway bar do for a RWD or AWD do? Just curious.
Typically a rear bar would reduce understeer or pushing in corners, other words the car would turn better, really only makes a difference at speed. The opposite with a front bar only. Using both would reduce the rocking of the car and with these bars you could tune front and rear to get the amount of over or understeer that you prefer, at the expense of a slightly harsher ride.

Typically a rear bar would reduce understeer or pushing in corners, other words the car would turn better, really only makes a difference at speed. The opposite with a front bar only. Using both would reduce the rocking of the car and with these bars you could tune front and rear to get the amount of over or understeer that you prefer, at the expense of a slightly harsher ride.

Thanks. I remember having a super stiff rear sway for my mini cooper (FWD) and it was super fun to whip around corners. Wasn’t sure if it was the same effect for RWD/AWD.