Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unplugged..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My local utility has an EV program where if you install a ChargePoint and agree to only charge between 10 PM and noon the next day, you pay $0.08/kWh vs $0.16/kWH. Catch is if you use ANY power from the ChargePoint outside of that window, you lose the benefit for the full month that the 'indiscretion' happened. They require ChargePoint because they communicate with it to know how much and when you charged so you're billed correctly.

I haven't yet installed the ChargePoint, but I believe they (or I) program it to only charge the car during those periods which means the Tesla will be unplugged anytime outside that window - even if physically plugged in.

I know a happy Tesla is a plugged in Tesla but curious what thoughts are on whether its really a big deal to let the car use the battery to maintain temperature, etc. I see this really only being an issue if I get home from work (6 PM) and the car waits until 10 PM to charge.

Thx

I know a happy Tesla is a plugged in Tesla but curious what thoughts are on whether its really a big deal to let the car use the battery to maintain temperature, etc. I see this really only being an issue if I get home from work (6 PM) and the car waits until 10 PM to charge.
It's not a big deal at all. The car really doesn't do much active temperature management unless it's like really REALLY outside the norms.

The thing about "a plugged in Tesla is a happy Tesla", is mostly a marketing and behavior molding thing. There used to be some really weird myths the public had about electric cars, like they thought if they finished charging and stayed plugged in that it would blow the cars up and nonsense like that. So Tesla is just trying to encourage people that they don't need to worry about that and can leave it plugged in as often as they want and leave it that way, and it's not going to harm anything.

But also, it's a car. It's fine if it needs to sit for several days unplugged. It'll lose some energy, but it will handle itself and be fine. So yeah, do your plugging or unplugging as needed to make sure you get that good rate, and the car will be fine.

Reactions: Zoomit
If your car is plugged in, and you access it outside those times, it will draw power. It does this to maintain the battery, run systems, etc. So, if you aren’t the type to go into your car unless you’re driving it, you’re safe. If you get into your car to do things in the garage or drive, you’re going to pay a bit for that privilege.

Good luck!

ß

If your car is plugged in, and you access it outside those times, it will draw power. It does this to maintain the battery, run systems, etc. So, if you aren’t the type to go into your car unless you’re driving it, you’re safe. If you get into your car to do things in the garage or drive, you’re going to pay a bit for that privilege.

Good luck!

ß
Thanks for the replies. My assumption was that it is fine/ glad to have the confirmation

Reactions: empiredown