Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unpluging using Existing ESVE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up the X yesterday and have a question. I did a search and have been unable to find an answer, so maybe I am using the incorrect terminology.

I have an existing ESVE on a 40 amp breaker I will be using until I upgrade to the HPWC. I used the adapter plugged into J1772 cable to plug into the Tesla. Charges fine but had some trouble removing the cable. Is there a trick to removing the cable when attached to the J1772 adapter? After several tries pressing the "stop charging" button on the main screen the Tesla "unlocked" the adapter and I was able to get the cable out. What is the correct procedure to remove the cable? I also checked the owners manual and nothing specific was mentioned. Any advise is appreciated!

Picked up the X yesterday and have a question. I did a search and have been unable to find an answer, so maybe I am using the incorrect terminology.

I have an existing ESVE on a 40 amp breaker I will be using until I upgrade to the HPWC. I used the adapter plugged into J1772 cable to plug into the Tesla. Charges fine but had some trouble removing the cable. Is there a trick to removing the cable when attached to the J1772 adapter? After several tries pressing the "stop charging" button on the main screen the Tesla "unlocked" the adapter and I was able to get the cable out. What is the correct procedure to remove the cable? I also checked the owners manual and nothing specific was mentioned. Any advise is appreciated!
With J1772, just press the button on the cable and keep pressing, grab the adapter with the other hand, and pull the adapter and the cable together with both hands. Still pressing the button, separate the adapter from the cable.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
The j1772 adapter can be a little difficult to remove for some reason... Even when the charge port door is unlocked.
The important thing, though, is to make sure the charge port door is unlocked.
I find that usually walking up to the car unlocks it... Then tap the release button on the evse j1772 plug to remove the evse first?
Alternatively you can hold the trunk button on the key fob to unlock the charge port.

Reactions: Insureit1