Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unpopular Opinion: I love the bottom-half UI in V9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
“Preferred by the largest portion” ??

How did you come to that conclusion? Was there a poll I missed? Is there a stat released from Tesla on that?

I certainly hope you didn’t ascertain that from the posts on this website. Because that would imply you don’t know much about forums and the internet in general.

It is true that we don’t have statistics but it does seem possible that configurability to suit ones preferences would be preferred by a majority. Tesla took away configurability with version 9.

As you said Tesla doesn’t necessarily have user preferences in mind either, simply ease of development over a fleet that’s increasingly moving to horizontal screens.

Reactions: SpudLime
My default view for 90% of my driving is camera on top, music on the bottom. A REALLY hope that option gets returned to us.

I don’t use the camera for regular driving. Typically I have the media on top, and energy on the bottom. If I need the map, I stick it on the bottom so it does not extend over the controls on top menu. Now it is not possible to show energy and any other app at all.

My point is not to suggest that my way is better, rather it is (was) simply a preference that could be easily accommodated. While I consider the Tesla map and NAV best in class, forcing it on us at all times is a very bad idea and a waste of screen real estate. Just dumb.

You are also hearing from a very vocal minority about how much they like the new v9 update. Please dont state opinions as fact. Lots of folks here think they have a huge number of folks that agree with their complaint, when possibly they dont.

What opinion did I state as a fact?

Please reread the name of this thread. Of course people are on here expressing their opinions. But nobody ever claimed that the vast majority of people like the new v9. My OPINION is that it is a good, and necessary, change.

• Love
Reactions: spectrum
“Preferred by the largest portion” ??

How did you come to that conclusion? Was there a poll I missed? Is there a stat released from Tesla on that?

I certainly hope you didn’t ascertain that from the posts on this website. Because that would imply you don’t know much about forums and the internet in general.
Well, thanks for bringing an insulting flavor to the discussion. Much appreciated.

Perhaps the largest portion truly do prefer having their user interface dictated to them, with no customizable features. Enjoy.

I personally could not stand having the rear camera up while driving. It annoyed me. I am very happy that there is a blind spot system in place now. It was one of my biggest groans. I can easily glance down and see if there is a car to my back left or back right, but I still glance over my shoulder just to make sure;). It is going to take me a couple of weeks to get use to trusting the screen. I do think the red line comes up a little too late. i really do not see a use for the rear view camera to be on while driving with V9, but that's just my opinion. I usually ran with nav up top and media on the bottom on V8 anyway. If you are a big fan of the V8 UI with moving apps around, I can see why this would disappoint you, but I think the advances win out here.

You're not serious, are you? You really use the camera to check your blind spots? Too much effort to turn your head or do a side-view mirror lean?
If you looked at the context of what I said, it was in response to someone that uses their rear cameras for blind spot detection. I said that Tesla's V9 implementation is at least better than that.

• Disagree
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Kind of in the middle here. I always run map on the top, as I use Tesla Waze to warn me of congestion/slowing ahead, so I can plan an alternative route at a glance.

I never kept the rear camera on all the time as I found it distracting. Was used to using my mirrors, so kept doing that. I understand that it might be valuable if you have people sitting in the center seats or have the rear filled with stuff that blocks the rear window.

I liked the two tile system. Simple and clean. Understand though that it would not work as well with the Model 3 horizontal dash.

I've already gotten used to the new system, and have gotten comfortable with it. Compare getting used to the changing display in a similar way that I am mildly annoyed at Daylight Savings Time changes, but am pretty adaptable to new stuff.

I do like that Tesla has turned on more of the cameras. Not used to it yet, but it may make turning on the rear camera redundant as it gets sorted out.

Also feel that some of the posters appear to be overly dramatic to these changes. After all, none of my previous vehicles had any adjustable displays at all.

I feel that Tesla is aware of this, and is probably working on some display options in the future for individuals that wish to keep to the old ways. (Waze?)

Also feel that some of the posters appear to be overly dramatic to these changes. After all, none of my previous vehicles had any adjustable displays at all.

I feel that Tesla is aware of this, and is probably working on some display options in the future for individuals that wish to keep to the old ways. (Waze?)

One of my favorite aspects of the previous UI was to have large media artwork. Now obviously that isn't really necessary, but I enjoyed it. It's something that attracted me to the UI. Is that even possible anymore with V9?

Like you I really liked the two tile system, and this update basically destroys that entire thing.

Does it do so in order to deliver more functionality? Not that I can tell.

I'm in complete agreement with the last part of your post. I'm sure Tesla has something planned, and we're likely overreacting. At the same time I think it's important to be vocal about what you like.

You say that none of your previous vehicles had any adjustable displays, but Tesla changed the entire game.

Have you looked at the Porsche Taycan?

All of Tesla's competitors are going to borrow bits and pieces from what Tesla proved. Porsche even admitted they were going to follow Tesla's model in a lot of ways.

The fact that people are so vocal about this proves that customizing the display to ones liking is important for a lot of drivers.

If I didn't want to customize the UI/UX experience then I'd go back to buttons and knobs.

I try to keep my rear camera on top at all times, especially on the highway. I use it to check my blind spots. I'll probably upgrade for the Atari games and give up a little visibility. ;)
Interesting approach, thanks for the idea. Properly positioned side mirrors eliminate 99% blind spots but most people seem to have them show the side of the doors incorrectly

As a UI Designer...

Based on your comments in this thread, I've come to the conclusion that you are indeed a UI Designer, but a very bad one.

The purpose of a GUI is to (i) enhance the user's experience, (ii) provide the most convenient interface for performing tasks and selecting information; (iii) and allowing as much configurability as is necessary to make the largest percentage of users happy. The version 9 software fails miserably on the latter two, especially the third one.

Tesla's removal of the split screen and ability to put the camera on top is akin to Apple saying, "yeah, we're still gonna let you swipe left, but we got rid of swiping right."