Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unpopular Opinion: I love the bottom-half UI in V9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on your comments in this thread, I've come to the conclusion that you are indeed a UI Designer, but a very bad one.

This is a subjective statement and pretty rude.

The purpose of a GUI is to (i) enhance the user's experience, (ii) provide the most convenient interface for performing tasks and selecting information; (iii) and allowing as much configurability as is necessary to make the largest percentage of users happy. The version 9 software fails miserably on the latter two, especially the third one.

"

Thank you for being the obvious entitlement that I have pointed out across all these threads. You, as well as others, seem to think you are in the majority based on ZERO facts. Basing your opinion on something is one thing. Thinking that this forum is an accurate sampling of the user base is well.. dumb. What is obvious and can be backed up by statistical analysis is that a forum is comprised more of the population that has a complaint. Someone enjoying their car with no complaints isnt going to run to a forum and create threads about it.

So, YOU need to sit down and re-evaluate your position and understand that you have a valid complaint, but it is YOUR opinion. And NOT the opinion of the majority.

True, I may not know that as fact. But the vast majority of what you hear on any forum thread are complaints. So it is a very safe assumption. Your claim that most users want this functionality is a much, much more dubious claim which needs much greater evidence to demonstrate its trutyh

You cant base your assumption on what you see on a message board. A forum is not an unbiased sample of a userbase.

You cant base your assumption on what you see on a message board. A forum is not an unbiased sample of a userbase.

True, but neither can we conclude from forum response that a vast majority prefers this change as you have done for some reason. We don’t know. It is also possible an even larger portion of non-forum users dislike this change than is seen here as forums also gather a disproportionate amount of enthusiasts not just critics. We just don’t know.

True, but neither can we conclude from forum response that a vast majority prefers this change as you have done for some reason. We don’t know. It is also possible an even larger portion of non-forum users dislike this change than is seen here as forums also gather a disproportionate amount of enthusiasts not just critics. We just don’t know.

If you can google some stats about folks who run to forums vs who dont, it makes MUCH more sense to conclude that the majority are perfectly fine with the upgrade. Vs what some folks here seem to think. Bitching on a forum is not reflective of the actual thoughts on the subject.

Sure you can. People come here to complain. Ever call customer service to tell them everything is working fine???

I think you need to reread what I wrote. Think about it and then comment again. Because you just proved my point and I dont think that was your intention.

I want my rear view camera on the top ... this upgrade is pretty bad for existing owners.... noticed my mileage has decreased with v9.0...is this coincidence? or something drawing more power?

i see no point in moving around controls which i use every day in my commute... it is not necessary and creates a lot of customer dissatisfaction as can be seen by these many negative threads on this topic...coming from many long time Tesla owner/fans ...this is sad .. Elons behavior is affecting more than just the stock price ... this UI looks like something from a bunch of confused designers/engineers....trying to satisfy too many requirements ... " horse designed by committee is a camel " looks like Tesla is hitting the big company wall ... if they don't get the SW right they are finished

• Love
Reactions: Blastphemy
If you can google some stats about folks who run to forums vs who dont, it makes MUCH more sense to conclude that the majority are perfectly fine with the upgrade. Vs what some folks here seem to think. Bitching on a forum is not reflective of the actual thoughts on the subject.

I understand your logic as basis for speculation. In a particular case, though, it is hard to tell for sure. Also what is the measure? Is being fine the same as not protesting or the same as preferring version 9 way over version 8 way? These could yield different results too.

I can see how version 9 change could be more polarizing than many changes that might fly under the radar because it was a big change that even most regular users will notice. You can no longer choose what to put on top half of the screen which is a very clear change.

Similar to how much pushback Microsoft got for Windows 8 and subsequently changed things for Windows 10. Unified user interface for desktop and tablets made sense for Microsoft but it did not make sense for users. Not unlike Model 3 vs Model S perhaps.

There is a person on TMC saying their service center reported getting lots of pushback for version 9.

I understand your logic as basis for speculation. In a particular case, though, it is hard to tell for sure. Also what is the measure? Is being fine the same as not protesting or the same as preferring version 9 way over version 8 way? These could yield different results too.

I do agree with you. The variables are hard to pinpoint those specific scenarios. There could be a lot of people who dont like it. But also dont care enough to say or do anything about it.

Thank you for being the obvious entitlement that I have pointed out across all these threads. You, as well as others, seem to think you are in the majority based on ZERO facts. Basing your opinion on something is one thing. Thinking that this forum is an accurate sampling of the user base is well.. dumb.

So, YOU need to sit down and re-evaluate your position and understand that you have a valid complaint, but it is YOUR opinion. And NOT the opinion of the majority.

And yet another case of cognitive dissonance (i.e., the pot calling the kettle black). Everything you wrote above can be applied equally to you, but you don't even realize it because you're blinded by your own opinions.

What is obvious and can be backed up by statistical analysis is that a forum is comprised more of the population that has a complaint. Someone enjoying their car with no complaints isnt going to run to a forum and create threads about it.

Are you sure you understand what "statistical analysis" is? Because it requires an actual analysis, not a subjective guess based on the unsupported confidence you have that something must be true! lol.

• Disagree
Reactions: spectrum
I want my rear view camera on the top ... this upgrade is pretty bad for existing owners.... noticed my mileage has decreased with v9.0...is this coincidence? or something drawing more power?

i see no point in moving around controls which i use every day in my commute... it is not necessary and creates a lot of customer dissatisfaction as can be seen by these many negative threads on this topic...coming from many long time Tesla owner/fans ...this is sad .. Elons behavior is affecting more than just the stock price ... this UI looks like something from a bunch of confused designers/engineers....trying to satisfy too many requirements ... " horse designed by committee is a camel " looks like Tesla is hitting the big company wall ... if they don't get the SW right they are finished

5 more cameras, use more energy

Yeah, and Model 3 has never had two pane apps/camera on top or bottom BS that all these people are getting hyped up about.

So I guess it is a good idea to copy BMW?

Anyone who says TM3 only ever did 1 app and it is fine obviously had not driven an X or an S.

I'm fine with 1 app on the TM3 because the screen is at eye level. I'll be fine with V9 if they inverted the layout.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod and RayW
I really like the new UI and also don't understand how mad people have gotten over the inability to keep the rear camera up top. But I also don't think it would be a terrible idea for Tesla to allow people to have some sort of customization of the UI. Although BMW does not allow people to change anything, there are other cars out there that do allow users to choose between a few different options in at least the forward display. Since almost the entirety of Tesla's UI is graphical, it wouldn't be that difficult for them to allow a higher level of customization. Further, Tesla isn't about what every other company is doing, so I don't think a comparison to BMW is particularly valid. Car companies already have a ways to go to catch up to Tesla, but why not make the distance even further?

All that said, even the poll somewhere on the forums here showed that the majority of people (albeit not a large majority) like the new interface. And there is always a bias to these polls since people who are unhappy are far more likely to respond than those who are content. Unhappy people just tend to make the most noise. I'd be very surprised if the old interface makes a return. Maybe an option to view something on top over the map, but doubt that also.

All that said, even the poll somewhere on the forums here showed that the majority of people (albeit not a large majority) like the new interface. And there is always a bias to these polls since people who are unhappy are far more likely to respond than those who are content. Unhappy people just tend to make the most noise. I'd be very surprised if the old interface makes a return. Maybe an option to view something on top over the map, but doubt that also.

Well, I admit it. My prior opinions about V9 here, were related to my experience with my 2015 S only (and still remain). I was finally offered V9 for my June 2018 X, and I nervously accepted it. It turns out that V9 on a recent processor is really quite nice. It is possible to have multiple apps running on top of the media, and the large blank spaces in the media player are filled in with Favorites.

I have moved over from being a V9 hater to it being an improvement, at least for fairly recent MCUs. I would caution AP1 folks to be careful for what they wish for.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod