Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unpopular Opinion: The 3 is a $30k car and was built as such

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
With that said, I see a lot of threads that suggest that because so-and-so paid in upwards of $50k for this car that they're disappointed for lack of quality compared to legacy manufacturers that have been in the industry for decades longer than Tesla.
I don't think it is an econobox. An econobox wouldn't have self-folding mirrors. Case closed.

• Funny
Reactions: PatP
The carpets are what you find in a sub $20K car.
Auto Wipers, might as well not have it (so it's like an under $20K car)
Audio issues (way more than the norm)
Phantom Braking, no other car has this level of issues on ACC.

I dispute all of these

I just looked again and the carpets are pretty much identical to what's in my BMW 328xi
It's pretty rainy here so lots of occasion to use them and although the auto wipers aren't perfect they're head and shoulders better than the auto on the 328xi
I've seen no audio issues at all again audio is far better than what's in my 328xi
I've not seen the phantom braking issue using TACC and only seen it near an un-lined off ramp with AP but the 328xi has no AP or EAP to compare with

I also dispute that they're any worse than other manufacturers as far as paint and panel alignment. Just because your last car didn't have any issues you saw doesn't mean they all don't

Reactions: VT_EE and PatP
I’m kind of tired of hearing about build quality. I’ve purchased three Model 3’s this year and all three were flawless. I also rejected two Model 3’s that did have build quality issues.

you're tired about hearing about build quality issues even though youve faced - and rejected - 2 vehicles due to said issue? Just because you've accepted this practice, doesnt mean that others must, too.

you're tired about hearing about build quality issues even though youve faced - and rejected - 2 vehicles due to said issue? Just because you've accepted this practice, doesnt mean that others must, too.

if anything, id expect you to be at the forefront of the build quality issue

You wouldn’t buy a house, or a boat, or an airplane without thoroughly inspecting it first. So why would you buy a car without thoroughly inspecting it first?

• Disagree
Reactions: bxr140
I dispute all of these

I just looked again and the carpets are pretty much identical to what's in my BMW 328xi
It's pretty rainy here so lots of occasion to use them and although the auto wipers aren't perfect they're head and shoulders better than the auto on the 328xi
I've seen no audio issues at all again audio is far better than what's in my 328xi
I've not seen the phantom braking issue using TACC and only seen it near an un-lined off ramp with AP but the 328xi has no AP or EAP to compare with

I also dispute that they're any worse than other manufacturers as far as paint and panel alignment. Just because your last car didn't have any issues you saw doesn't mean they all don't

And you're using a BMW as your reference for Quality. Now that's funny.

The Model 3 had the thinnest carpets I've ever seen. The Volt were double the thickness. And I suspect the carpeting in the car itself is thin too. Didn't know BMW went that cheap too.

Google Tesla Auto Wipers. I think you are in the Minority.
The list is too long to go into Audio issues (some have been possibly addressed).

3 Jeeps, 1 Volt all had better panel alignment than either Model 3 or Model X.
When waiting for service I look around and let's just say each brand is consistent.

I know it can happen occasionally with any brand, but it's pretty consistent with Tesla. It's not a show stopper for me, but you can clearly see a difference. You literally could use calipers on the Volt. On the Model 3 or X, you don't need a caliper to spot non uniform gaps.

The Tesla's are clearly rushed in assembly.

Completely Disagree. For the same money, there isn't a car out there that has this much tech, safety, style and performance......O....then through in the fact that this car changes every other month and gets cheaper as we own it. Worth every penny of $45k and very fairly priced, again, strictly my opinion

You wouldn’t buy a house, or a boat, or an airplane without thoroughly inspecting it first. So why would you buy a car without thoroughly inspecting it first?

you know just as well as the rest of us that even when you point out the issues, tesla just defers it to their service center and says theyll take care of the issue later. Then theres a 50/50 chance that they'll a). actually do the work under warranty b). sufficiently fix the issue the first time.

I got off lucky with a few paint spots that rubbed out with some compound - why tesla couldnt figure that out either time I had to take my car in is beyond me.

you know just as well as the rest of us that even when you point out the issues, tesla just defers it to their service center and says theyll take care of the issue later. Then theres a 50/50 chance that they'll a). actually do the work under warranty b). sufficiently fix the issue the first time.

I got off lucky with a few paint spots that rubbed out with some compound - why tesla couldnt figure that out either time I had to take my car in is beyond me.

There is no reason to point out any of these issues. If the car is not perfect I would just reject it and move on to the next one. It’s when we let Tesla convince us to accept the cars and then chase after the service center to fix things that everything falls apart.

I can't disagree more. Go ride in a 30k car and look at the features. Let's even ignore the powertrain (which is a crazy thing to ignore). Look at what you get. Top tier/best safety, future proof design for FSD etc., free new features delivered ever month or so. Do you get a free dash cam in a 30k car? Free video alarm with recording? Free remote start from your phone? Free wireless key? Free streaming audio? Giant screen for directions? Best in class infotainment? Heated seats for all passengers? Glass roof? Adaptive Cruise control with lane keeping? Lane departure warning? Phone charging doc? ultrasonic proximity sensors? Base in class rear view camera? Homelink? Free extra range or HP? I'm sure I'm missing dozens of features.

You can't find these features in an equivalent 50k car, let alone a 30k car. Honestly, I don't want to be rude but I think your assertion is ridiculous. Furthermore the build quality complaints are so over done. My local club has 40 or so members. I don't know anyone that has major build issues. A few loudmouths online, a few people with legitimate problems, and some insane people who take magnifying glasses or calipers into the showroom at delivery are the source of most of these.

Last edited:
Reactions: VT_EE and PatP
I actually think the opposite. I think it's a $40k being sold for mid $30s. Granted my car was ~$42k before incentives, I basically could have got the same for $36k. I picked blue and white interior, both options that didn't really change the quality of the car. If I had gone for an SR I could have had basically the same car for just under $36k in white with black interior. Now yes I wouldn't have AP, but I don't use AP when driving around town and I feel like I'm driving in a pretty sharp car.

Now I'm coming at least somewhat from the side of electric cars since I had a Chevy Volt before this (lease) that was $34k. No fake leather, felt very light compared to the heavy surefooted feel of the Model 3, looked nice but not near as nice as the Model 3 (no glass roof, paint wasn't anything special, etc). The center screen was decent in the Volt but no where near as nice as the Model 3. Didn't have built in navigation or anything... Now yes the Volt LTs are selling for like $28k now (or less), but that isn't what the manufacture suggested they sell at.

The Bolt LT is also priced very very close, but I think the interior of the Model 3 feels way closer (though not exactly as refined) to an Audi or Merc/BMW where as the Bolt feels like a Chevy/Honda/Toyota with some extra bells and whistles.

The Model 3 feels like a $40k car that's being sold for less then that and that isn't exactly built perfectly.... If Tesla nailed down their build quality (honestly it's pretty good, but not perfect) it would be a steal at $35k to $39k. My Volt also had lots of rattles within the first six months, the hatch back was a HUGE source of them and Chevy basically just said it was common.

I can't disagree more. Go ride in a 30k car and look at the features. Let's even ignore the powertrain (which is a crazy thing to ignore). Look at what you get. Top tier/best safety, future proof design for FSD etc., free new features delivered ever month or so. Do you get a free dash cam in a 30k car? Free video alarm with recording? Free remote start from your phone? Free wireless key? Free streaming audio? Giant screen for directions? Best in class infotainment? Heated seats for all passengers? Glass roof? Adaptive Cruise control with lane keeping? Lane departure warning? Phone charging doc? ultrasonic proximity sensors? Base in class rear view camera? I'm sure I'm missing dozens of features.

You can't find these features in an equivalent 50k car, let alone a 30k car.

You can't find those in a $30k car either, you're talking about the full premium interior which is very close to $50k (AWD starts at what, $48k?)

Only the front seats are heated in a $30k version, not the rear.

We do not get free streaming audio, in fact we don't have the option to even pay for it yet.

ACC with Lane Keeping is $39k and above.

Best in class infotainment is subjective.... but I would say Apple CarPlay / Android Auto would go a long way to making it best in class

I still think it's better then other $35 to $38k cars out there, but the above things are $10k more to get...

Some of the plastics on the door feel a little basic and non-premium. I like the vegan seats because they are easier to keep clean than real leather.

The screen blows away anything else out there and the audio system is among the best in any vehicle regardless of price.

Some of the plastics on the door feel a little basic and non-premium. I like the vegan seats because they are easier to keep clean than real leather.

The screen blows away anything else out there and the audio system is among the best in any vehicle regardless of price.

I like the vegan seats because as a vegetarian now I won't have people constantly bitch at me that "you have leather seats, but you say you're vegetarian?!"

Edit: The audio system in the SR+ actually is a little disappointing. The sound balance is way off (almost everyone has to set it rearward by 30 to 50% so they don't hear it coming just from way up near the front glass) and the volume actually isn't as much as I expected. I'm often at 75% full volume while doing freeway driving and it isn't loud, well it's loud, but not like dangerously or painfully loud.

I just wish they could deliver a product without issues from the factory. Like mis-alignment/crooked steering wheels, dings, scratches on outer panels and silly gaps due to parts being installed incorrectly (I'm looking at you taillights). I don't think that's a tall ask, considering Hyundai, Kia, and other manufacturers do it on much cheaper cars. Still an awesome car, don't get me wrong, I love mine. My car had all the above issues, and it's at Tesla service right now to see what they will fix and what they won't. They told me the scratch isn't fixable, and since this is a lease I'm just going to live with it versus pressuring for a repair. It's pretty tiny but on my drivers door which is annoying because I have to always see it. I will note that they are fixing my ding.
They delivered mine without those issues.

Every manufacturer has their bugbears. VW = door rattles, window regulators. BMW = fuel and water pump. Ford = everything.

But I'll tell you what, scrutinizing new cars and rejecting new cars because of a plethora of problems, out of the factory, was something that never entered my consciousness until following Tesla.

I'm a big fan of Hyundai-Kia's progress in the last decade. Am super interested in what they do for their 2nd/3rd gen EVs. (As of today theirs is the best of the rest, but not quite there yet)
Nissan = Anything in the cabin that requires electricity.

Edit: The audio system in the SR+ actually is a little disappointing. The sound balance is way off (almost everyone has to set it rearward by 30 to 50% so they don't hear it coming just from way up near the front glass) and the volume actually isn't as much as I expected. I'm often at 75% full volume while doing freeway driving and it isn't loud, well it's loud, but not like dangerously or painfully loud.
I've never owned a car with a proper forward / back balance in the factory defaults. It's not just a Tesla "thing". Hardly seems like an issue to me.

Reactions: Nocturnal
Let’s not forget that you are buying a constantly improving vehicle, not just software but other designed hardware. Traditional manufacturers turn out a car and then they’re done with it. Maybe they’ll change something for the next year, maybe not. Tesla has been very responsive when it came to increasing braking distance, etc. It might have been cheaper for Tesla to buy third-party off the shelf parts like other manufacturers and try designing an EV with those. Had they gone that route, these cars would not be what they are today and I’m sold on what we have.

Another thing to remember is that Tesla’s end goal is self driving. For working towards that, and designing and manufacturing such a fun and safe car, I think they’ve given us a great product to enjoy until then. And no I don’t feel like I’ve driving a $30K car. Of the cars in that price, they don’t even come close to what we have.

I was just saying that they could fix the production issues if they cared to, that's all. A little QC at the factory goes a long way at delivery. There's no excuse for a completely crooked steering wheel, considering I can't even test drive the car.

Breaking News: I have to commend my local Tesla service. I texted "is there anything that can be done about the scratch". Long story short, they offered to repaint the door with no prompting from me. Obviously, I said "yes, please do." So when I pick it up, it will be the flawless car that I'd originally hoped for. Just too bad that service has to be the factory cleanup crew.

Tesla made it right, so all good in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.