Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unpopular Opinion: The 3 is a $30k car and was built as such

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Like to see someone show me another car, priced under $37,000 that provides a better level of performance and handling, gets better running efficiency and gets the driving experience and prestige better than driving a Tesla.

I understand that snowflakes can obsess about a tiny scratch or rub mark, that all the panels don't fit perfectly, or that delivery was delayed a few days, but to me, they are totally missing the point of moving to non city polluting electric transportation.

I don't think the OP is a "snowflake." He appears to have legitimate complaints.

I don't think the OP is a "snowflake." He appears to have legitimate complaints.
i like a lot of the comments in this thread. mostly they've been civil and constructive. my post was never a complaint of build quality, nor was it that of a belittling nature. i think people should stop comparing legacy manufacturers, that have been in the business for 50-80 years, and pay attention to the more specialized manufacturers. the main reason Tesla struggles with consistency across its lineup is due to process and procedure. if you've ever worked in the parts division of Toyota, the manufacturing division of a parts supplier or the assembly of someone like GM, you'll know that the process has been worked out so well, exceptions are rare.

Telsa and Musk are running full-speed in to a business that has little room for competition. If you're Coke and a new soda comes out, you're likely going to get shelved, bought out or buried. What Tesla has done is nothing short of amazing and they've done it well. If Tesla wants to remain competitive, they need to lean out their process and eliminate waste. Quality control will continue to cost them millions and they will continue to struggle to profit off of sales.

I think, as competition starts to significantly increase, Tesla will struggle to maintain its foothold in the industry and someone with more experience and deeper pockets will eventually turn the lights out. Tesla still has a name (like Apple) and so they have customers. I, for one, would like them to remain lucrative and continue to push the envelope.

Was not calling OP a snowflake. Believe he has a pretty good viewpoint.

While also not calling Chewy a snowflake, it is comments like "It's pretty tiny but on my drivers door which is annoying because I have to always see it." a bit snowflakey.

People with realistic expectation of what a production Tesla will be. They will not be perfect, and may have imperfections. These are not show cars, and often will need after delivery attention at a service center.

Everyone wants their cars to be delivered in perfect condition. After all, they are brand new. Problem is that they are built by people, assisted by robots. People are imperfect and that can show up in the products they make. It is not Elon putting these cars together, but an assemblege of hundreds of flawed humans, all down the line.

Even a car, coming out of Fremont flawless, faces a daunting task of getting transported to the final customer. They may sit in a lot for a while, exposed to weather. Some people might take it on themselves to wander around those parking lots to amuse themselves. Stuff can happen. A lot employee may need to shuffle the cars around, they need to be taken to a detail lot for final inspection and cleaning. They then need to be driven to the delivery showroom, and other customers will be milling around, looking into all the other cars. Kids will be running around unsupervised, janitors will be cleaning up the place at night, vendors will be restocking the coffee machines, technicians will be in the rooms working on computers and printers, people have belt buckles...lots can happen, even under the best of circumstances.

The model 3 interior is one of the best ever. It is very simple and elegant and modern. Once you step into the interior of a model 3, it changes what you expect from a car. The exterior is awesome as well. Get so many stares at my rainbow roof. It's a real eye popper. Reduced insulation is intentional. Insulation adds weight which reduces fuel efficiency.

The model 3 interior is one of the best ever. It is very simple and elegant and modern. Once you step into the interior of a model 3, it changes what you expect from a car. The exterior is awesome as well. Get so many stares at my rainbow roof. It's a real eye popper. Reduced insulation is intentional. Insulation adds weight which reduces fuel efficiency.

I don’t buy the insulation adds weight thing.

I can add 30 lbs and see no difference in efficiency.

We are probably talking way less than 30 lbs of insulation.

For the X’s weight and size its pretty darn efficient and it’s much better insulated. It’s not the insulation that makes X heavier. They are just much bigger cars.

People would happily give up 1 watt per miles for a better insulated cabin.

Honestly. I know Model 3 is safe car. But I feel safer in a 2019 Chevy volt because it’s so much quieter. So insulated from the road. I know that placebo effect but it’s real. I shouldn’t feel that way, but I do.

People slam doors to compare quality. The Model 3 sounds like a rattling tin can. The Volt feels like a bigger heavier car because your better insulated from road noise. Makes it feel cheap. Volt doors shutting sounds better than even the Model X. Volt might be quieter too. This is just a Chevy Cruze with a battery and DC motor. A $20k ICE car.

If you just look at the door gaskets between the two. Volt is a perfect fit, Triple gaskets. The Tesla the edges are rough. Corners bulge. Some of mine were not even glued down.

Yes, it’s growing pains.

Most people here know what they were getting. And it was still worth it for the other performance aspects. But some of us want BOTH.

But that doesn’t mean many of wouldn’t like Tesla to step it up a bit on Quality and interactive improvements.

Their fit and finish is about where there FSD is. I’d rather pay more for better fit and finish. And give up 1 watt per mile.

Like to see someone show me another car, priced under $37,000 that provides a better level of performance and handling, gets better running efficiency and gets the driving experience and prestige better than driving a Tesla.

If I was in the US with 2$ petrol and no emissions/power based perpetual taxes.....I'd go for 37k Genesis G70 over a 37k Tesla.

Like you wouldn't take a Democratic primary poll of 1 person, and then if they said Bernie Sanders you'd report that Bernie got 100%, the same is true for your car.

Your problems, or your perfect car don't really matter in the long run.

Saying Tesla has a problem based on your 1 car is meaningless.
Very conveniently ignoring the chorus of consensus....

Reactions: DJVoorhees
Unignominious opinion: dollar for dollar the 3 is the most bamf car that money can buy.

OP needs to sell his Model 3 and get one of these well built Kia and Honda’s.

A top of the line Corsair case with a 486 inside is apparently better than a Ryzen sitting inside a Rosewill case.

People and their inability to valuate...

I think you need to read OP’s again.

He starts of “I love this stupid car” for starts.

It’s fit and finish (design and implementation) are not fitting for a car that has such great performance.

Reactions: DJVoorhees
I have 2 models 3's, an early production rwd and a more recent awd

it is superior in build quality to the Hondas, Acuras, and BMWs i've owned

very quiet, almost no cabin noise
both came with homelink although paying a few hundred for it wouldn't have been noticeable to me
autosteering and TACC are godsends, enhanced summon works as it should, lane departure works fine
phantom braking is rare (about every 500-100 miles) and not a big deal
it doesn't freeze much where I live
the trunk lid rain thing doesn't bother me, it does rain very often here

no paint issues
both cars in perfect condition when delivered

auto high beam works great!
auto wipers work very well (much improved in last 1/2 year or so)
audio system is the best i've ever had

mobile service was great the 1 time i've used it
i've never had to take either of my cars to a service center

re "cabin noise, bugs, fit, finish, assembly and delivery condition" these are by far the best cars i've ever owned
although not the most expensive. any car I buy in the future will be a tesla. no contest.

Status
Not open for further replies.