Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unpredictable Gull Wing doors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We just picked up our 2023 Model X a couple of weeks ago. This is our second Model X and our fifth Tesla. Everything is really positive and there are many improvements that we really appreciate. The only problem we have is that the gull wing doors seem to have a mind of their own.
These problems exist whether we use the touchscreen, key fob, interior door buttons or the phone key.
The only time they seem to work without problems is when we use the exterior handles.
Otherwise, sometimes they open; sometimes they don’t; sometimes they fully open; Sometimes they don't.
It doesn't seem to make any difference in their behavior if we are outside or if we are inside the garage. Their behavior is the same.
If you read the Tesla manual it says go to controls, service and calibrate doors, but there is no ‘calibrate doors’ setting. Of course we have tried rebooting but it doesn’t seem to change anything.
I am about to put in a service call but am hopeful that someone may be able to shed some light on this without having to do so.
Thank you for your anticipated aid and assistance!

We just picked up our 2023 Model X a couple of weeks ago. This is our second Model X and our fifth Tesla. Everything is really positive and there are many improvements that we really appreciate. The only problem we have is that the gull wing doors seem to have a mind of their own.
These problems exist whether we use the touchscreen, key fob, interior door buttons or the phone key.
The only time they seem to work without problems is when we use the exterior handles.
Otherwise, sometimes they open; sometimes they don’t; sometimes they fully open; Sometimes they don't.
It doesn't seem to make any difference in their behavior if we are outside or if we are inside the garage. Their behavior is the same.
If you read the Tesla manual it says go to controls, service and calibrate doors, but there is no ‘calibrate doors’ setting. Of course we have tried rebooting but it doesn’t seem to change anything.
I am about to put in a service call but am hopeful that someone may be able to shed some light on this without having to do so.
UPDATE - After studying the problem I little bit more and after looking at some really good videos I have determined that perhaps the real problem is that the starboard gull wing door indicates an obstruction. It wasn't cleared with a reboot so it seems that, either it has a defective sensor, or I am also wondering if a recent application by the local detail shop of ceramic coating could be a factor? Anybody else have anything like that to report?

Mine is a 2019 that is fairly new to me. So I’m still learning the quirks.

The car seems to have trouble at times distinguishing if it’s inside or outside the garage if I’m parked in the driveway just outside. FWDs will partially open or sometimes not at all. If I back up further into the street, then the FWDs will open all the way. Same with the trunk.

UPDATE - After studying the problem I little bit more and after looking at some really good videos I have determined that perhaps the real problem is that the starboard gull wing door indicates an obstruction. It wasn't cleared with a reboot so it seems that, either it has a defective sensor, or I am also wondering if a recent application by the local detail shop of ceramic coating could be a factor? Anybody else have anything like that to report?
My new X had this issue. The Red halo usually appeared by one of the FWDs when looking at the screen. Opening using the outside handle always worked. This fix was too complex for Mobile service, but the local Tesla service shop was able to fix it. I think the sensor came loose or something like that.

My new X had this issue. The Red halo usually appeared by one of the FWDs when looking at the screen. Opening using the outside handle always worked. This fix was too complex for Mobile service, but the local Tesla service shop was able to fix it. I think the sensor came loose or something like that.
Thanks for the reply. I will definitely pursue that course of action. You don't by chance have the diagnosis on the work order do you?

How hot is it in Prescott? I'm asking because temperature has been known to affect the sensors (in my case it made them register an obstacle where there wasn't one). Mostly an issue when I had the car parked in the sun, facing one direction for a long time. Getting the sensors in the shade or getting some airflow over them seemed to make the problem go away.

Also I'm sorry to be "that guy" but they're called Falcon Wing Doors. I did appreciate your use of the word "starboard", however! :cool:

Bruce.

Thanks for the reply. I will definitely pursue that course of action. You don't by chance have the diagnosis on the work order do you?
The text says the sensor was replaced. I think they tried reattaching the sensor first becauss it was loose, but that didn't fix it.

The shop in Glendale fixed mine, it took 3 days. Is that the service center closest to you? They do have a few service loaners, I just had to ask for one.

How hot is it in Prescott? I'm asking because temperature has been known to affect the sensors (in my case it made them register an obstacle where there wasn't one). Mostly an issue when I had the car parked in the sun, facing one direction for a long time. Getting the sensors in the shade or getting some airflow over them seemed to make the problem go away.

Also I'm sorry to be "that guy" but they're called Falcon Wing Doors. I did appreciate your use of the word "starboard", however! :cool:

Bruce.

Car parked in the sun for a while is the only time I've had FWD phantom obstructions detected. I've been able to just override by holding the open button. Problem is gone once I've moved somewhere else.

Bruce.
It's always beautiful in Prescott, Bruce. Just kidding of course. Thanks for the insight but I don't think temperature is a factor in the situation.

Reactions: bmah
The text says the sensor was replaced. I think they tried reattaching the sensor first becauss it was loose, but that didn't fix it.

The shop in Glendale fixed mine, it took 3 days. Is that the service center closest to you? They do have a few service loaners, I just had to ask for one.
Thanks for checking on that one, Herbert. We are actually closest to Scottsdale service but it's nice to know that Glendale had a successful repair.

Problem solved...

Tesla mobile service just finished repairs this morning. (Bless them!!!) Turns out that the sensor mount on the starboard falcon wing door was not firmly attached when the car was manufactured and so it was not getting reliable signals. It was really quite the complex repair but it seems to have worked quite well. Once again, I really appreciate everything Tesla represents and does. I am a real 'fan boy'.