Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unpredictable Regen At Low Speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So here’s a new one I just experienced today...I picked up my Model 3 two months ago and have put more than 4,500 miles on it in that time. I am very familiar with how regen works. However, today while in stop & go traffic on the highway regen was aggressively slowing me down when I would let off the accelerator at around 3 mph all the way down to 0 mph. It was extremely jerky and very uncomfortable. Never experienced this before. It went away after 2 minutes and I reported a bug report, but it was pretty nerve racking. Anyone else experience anything like this?

Will note for my next Tesla Service appointment.

Not at this particular stretch of the trip. It was nearing my exit and I had disengaged it about a mile previous. At first I thought that perhaps TACC was still engaged and taking over but it happened multiple times after applying the brake, which typically disengages TAAC.

Not at this particular stretch of the trip. It was nearing my exit and I had disengaged it about a mile previous. At first I thought that perhaps TACC was still engaged and taking over but it happened multiple times after applying the brake, which typically disengages TAAC.
Did it feel like regen stopped? I wonder if it was TC kicking in (and this turning off regen).

No it actually felt like regen on steroids. My experience with regen is that when you get down to less than ~5 mph regen lets up a bit and you coast gently to a stop. What happened this particular instance was that when I let off the accelerator going ~5 mph (without touching the brake) the regen took me to a complete and immediate stop. It was almost instantaneous; felt like I slammed on the brake even though I didn’t touch it. It happened 3 or 4 times in a row after I would let off the accelerator. Scared me a bit. Then all of a sudden everything went back to normal. Haven’t had it happen since but it was really scary not being in control of the car, especially with vehicles behind me.

No it actually felt like regen on steroids. My experience with regen is that when you get down to less than ~5 mph regen lets up a bit and you coast gently to a stop. What happened this particular instance was that when I let off the accelerator going ~5 mph (without touching the brake) the regen took me to a complete and immediate stop. It was almost instantaneous; felt like I slammed on the brake even though I didn’t touch it. It happened 3 or 4 times in a row after I would let off the accelerator. Scared me a bit. Then all of a sudden everything went back to normal. Haven’t had it happen since but it was really scary not being in control of the car, especially with vehicles behind me.
I am on my iPad and will look for the video later, but could it be the car going into park at that low speed due to the seat sensor thinking you were not there?