TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Unpredictable Second Row Seat Response

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by flmark, Jun 17, 2016.

1. flmark

flmark Member

Feb 27, 2015
    Punta Gorda, FL
    I picked up my Model X two days ago and last night I tried to see what the maximum stowage area was behind the second row of seats. The answer varies based on the flaky software programming. Using the center screen, I moved the middle seat as far forward as possible and noted the results. Later, I did the same thing…and the middle seat refused to tilt as it slid forward. In fact, it jammed against the center stack hard enough that upon release, the cup holders popped open. I kept trying and trying…and no tilt.

So this morning, I got up and called tech support in Tampa. They tried to tell me that the behavior was normal. I said ‘uh uh’. So I went out and took pictures and found an Internet reference picture which turned out to be the discussion on how the ability to control the seats from the center screen is new.

and sent some emails to Tampa support.

…and then I tried something different and used the seatback switch…and then it tilted again…and then it tilted from the center screen. In the ‘default’ picture, you see where the seat stopped as it refused to tilt. At that point, the screen was telling me that there was something preventing the seat from moving any farther, but I could hold to override. The ‘override’ picture shows where the middle seat came to stop at the center stack, as far forward as physically possible…and zero tilt visible. Note the photo in the linked article. The front edge of the seat in my picture is just a couple inches below the USB ports, while the reference photo shows several inches of clearance below the USB ports.

The ‘varying tilts’ picture shows that the tilting is entirely unpredictable. At first, the left seat was tilting, then it stopped tilting. You can see that the right seat is tilted. Most notably, the center seat is (now) tilted (versus the other two photos)- and nowhere near touching the center stack (and this is as far forward as it can go). Now, if you look back at the reference photo, all three seats are evenly tilted and it appears that the center seat is very close to touching the center stack, whereas my seat’s most forward point is well short of the center stack.

The best solution would seem to be one where the software allows us to control both tilt and displacement. This luck-of-the-draw final seat placement is for the birds. And if you find that you have seats which refuse to tilt, it also appears that using the seatback switch will somehow get the software out of the loop it can get stuck in.

Attached Files:

• Helpful x 1
  2. commasign

commasign Active Member

Aug 31, 2013
    Davis, CA
    That sums it up nicely. I have the 6 seat version so don't have to deal with the middle seat shenanigans, but the left and right 2nd row seats behave as you describe. It's a coin flip whether they will tilt or not each time I move them forward.
  3. Pjjava34

Pjjava34 Member

Dec 10, 2015
    Same here with my 6 seat configuration! It feels as though the latest software update was the culprit behind the unreliable 2nd seat movement As I don't recall having them be unresponsive via the seat back controls prior to the upgrade which incorporated the 17" display controls.