TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Unrecognised registration plate?

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by NullException, Sep 21, 2016.

1. NullException

NullException Member

I'm due to pick up my S60D next Tuesday, and I got the car's registration number from my DS yesterday.
    However, it's not recognised by any insurers, or by DVLA's online vehicle checker.
    The car is a lease.

Does anyone know if it's common for a new plate to take some time to be recognised by DVLA?

2. Jebus

Jebus Member

DVLA won't show until its registered and normally taxed for the first time which Tesla wouldn't normally do until collection day. Even then their systems can take a few days to update.

Insurers and other systems pull their lookups from services which get a monthly update and may take a little longer depending on what point in the month it registers. I work for one of those services. Nothing to worry about, might just have to enter the vehicle manually and the reg.

3. NullException

NullException Member

Thanks! The insurer who has given me the best online quote won't let me buy online because the license plate check fails. I'll call them in the morning.

4. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Member

I've never had a problem insuring a new vehicle on the VIN number - hopefully that might be a route for you too.

5. NullException

NullException Member

Good point, WannabeOwner - thank you!

In the end, they were happy taking the car's reg plate over the phone.

For anyone interested:

S60D
    me + my wife insured. Both clean records, 7 yrs NCD
    excess £445 comp + £250 voluntary

Hastings Direct £310 annual premium.