Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unresponsive #Nightmare

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stuck in line at the drive thru pharmacy, each patron taking several minutes per stop at window.

So naturally I think let's check out what this Fallout shelter games is. It runs for a minute, but I have to move forward, so I exit. Then I try again, this time screen goes black.

And stays black.

It's now my turn, but I'm still stuck 2 cars lengths back, in a concrete blocked in with 10 cars behind me. And the car won't move, won't respond. The screen is black, soft reset, hard reset, moving the the shift arms... NOTHING IS WORKING!
Even the hazard lights, NOT WORKING!

After a solid 5 mins, I pull up the app on my phone and gk down to service to start a report, then the screen comes on like nothings happening, no T, just the regular screen like as if I were parked there. I flip down the gear arm into drive and fly up to the window. I did notice it was not connected to cellular or wifi, but it was a complete humiliating nightmare. First real one since getting the car.

What happened? How do I make sure it NEVER HAPPENS AGAIN?

MCU resets happen from time to time. Also did you get out and check the Hazards? Likely they were working but they don't blink/beep in the car and it makes them SEEM like they are not working, it is the same for signals. Also are you sure you pressed the brake while pulling the gear lever down? I know I had this problem early in ownership and the first time it causes a "panic" response. I failed at first to press the brake and thought mine was dead too. However all works you just don't get any display or sounds and it IS very disorienting, especially the first time it happens.

I agree with Julien. I had one time the MCU just shut off while driving but the main driving controls of the car was still performing as usual, including the blinkers even though you don't hear the sound.

I find those apps and things tend to be glitchy sometimes - especially the browser. If I'm actively leaving a browser open on the screen, it's almost guaranteed to crash every few days. Maybe the system doesn't have enough ram for more intensive dashboard web apps.

I had a strange experience with my RWD LR 3 yesterday. As I was setting out I got a series of warnings, Regen braking not working, emergency braking not working, traction control not working, etc. I was able to drive but the feel was strange. Warnings kept scrolling till I got to my destination. After parking I tried pressing both track balls, that shut off the audio and brought up a different screen. Parked at the ferry terminal and a few minutes later the warnings stopped. Everything back to normal when I got going again.
I figure the computer had a hissy fit, then got over it. any other explanations?

I had a strange experience with my RWD LR 3 yesterday. As I was setting out I got a series of warnings, Regen braking not working, emergency braking not working, traction control not working, etc. I was able to drive but the feel was strange. Warnings kept scrolling till I got to my destination. After parking I tried pressing both track balls, that shut off the audio and brought up a different screen. Parked at the ferry terminal and a few minutes later the warnings stopped. Everything back to normal when I got going again.
I figure the computer had a hissy fit, then got over it. any other explanations?
Bad connection to ABS sensor would do that.