TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Unscientific testing of RWD performance upgrade

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Thud, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Thud

Thud Member

My late 2014 S85 w/autopilot, and the performance upgrade listed in the release notes. It feels faster (particularly above 30mph) but you certainly can't tell from watching the videos.

These were both recorded on the same stretch of road... I recorded the 6.2 video last weekend before the upgrade.
    In the second video the car did come to a complete stop, but not long enough to register 0 on the speedo. Whoops.

Tesla S85 with 6.2 - YouTube

0-60mph Tesla S85 with 7.0 - YouTube

2. ICUDoc

ICUDoc Member

Thanks, Thud.
    Im in two minds about this, but they are two GOOD minds:
    either the Model S is faster, now. All well and good :)
    OR the Model S just FEELS faster now. Which is just as good, or better if you value your licence!!!
    Thanks again,
    regards

3. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

The non-logarithmic power output is so less geeky. Dislike. But it does seem faster above 30.

4. Thud

Thud Member

#4 Thud, Oct 19, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
    I trimmed each video so that the first frame is when the speedo first shows 5mph, and the last frame is right when it shows 60mph. This was to rule out any inconsistencies with the launch.

For version 6.2 and 7.0, each video was 4.8s in length, which tells me there's no measurable difference in 5-60 acceleration with the 7.0 upgrade, or at least the difference is within 0.1s (video is 60fps too, so a smaller margin of error). But it definitely feels like there is. Maybe the appearance of greater performance has to do more with the revised accelerator curve? I hope somebody with a V-box is able to get some better numbers to work with. Why advertise "increased performance" if it's relying on a placebo effect?

FWIW my release notes clearly say "increased performance" for RWD models with "greater acceleration at all speeds".

The only other thing I can think of is that maybe the 0-30 performance was gimped somewhat, and the 30-60 performance is quicker to make up for it.

5. Thud

Thud Member

#5 Thud, Oct 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    And now a (poorly edited) side-by-side video!

"enabling higher acceleration at all speeds, especially near top speed."

6. kejsermad

kejsermad Member

I cannot see any difference in acceleration in these two videos.

7. Thud

Thud Member

My thoughts exactly. The side-by-side shows no difference at all. I'm confused as to what Tesla means by "higher acceleration at all speeds."