Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unstable Bluetooth Connection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New Tesla Model 3 owner with a '21 LR-AWD. I've paired up my iPhone 12 for calls, key recognition, texts, etc. Car seems to lose BT connection fairly often and has to be manually re-established.

Is there any way to establish a more stable connection?

New Tesla Model 3 owner with a '21 LR-AWD. I've paired up my iPhone 12 for calls, key recognition, texts, etc. Car seems to lose BT connection fairly often and has to be manually re-established.

Is there any way to establish a more stable connection?

Thats going to be an issue with your phone and it possibly going into low power mode or "optimizing" power consumption.

When you say "loses connection" what exactly do you mean? Do you mean it drops connection while you drive (meaning something you are streaming stops and starts for example)? I suspect you mean something like "when I get into the car on random days, the previously connected bluetooth connection is not automatically connected, and I have to push "connect" again".

If the second thing is what you mean, I have that happen on occasion too, and its fairly common (read other reports on it here). Its a bit better since tesla designated a primary bluetooth device, but it still occasionally does that (and I tend to not notice until I am driving somewhere and attempt to use the cars voice commands to send a text message or something).

There isnt any work around I have found for this second thing (bluetooth randomly not being connected after being connected for a few days), and others have reported it too. The only somewhat good news I can give on this specific thing is, you can use voice commands to open the bluetooth menu "Open bluetooth menu" rather than trying to stab at the screen with your finger on the small bluetooth icon while driving. Once the bluetooth menu is open, you can fairly easily click the much larger "connect" button.

Not idea, but a work around for that random thing.

If you mean the first thing "bluetooth randomly drops while actively streaming something during a drive, after I have already verified connectivity" I dont normally read about that on iPhones, however people have been having various issues with new iPhones and teslas that seem to be related to 5g, etc.... but thats not bluetooth.

It doesn't lose connection in the middle of a ride. It happened yesterday when the car wouldn't start without the Tesla keycard. I then went to the BT menu on my phone and could see it wasn't connected to the car.

Well... the bluetooth phone as key, and the bluetooth regular connection are two different kinds of connections and both have to be paired separately (but you likely know that as you likely paired them separately already).

The bluetooth phone as key connection (which is the one that allows opening the car door) can be several "unnamed" bluetooth connections when you are in range of the car. They dont say "tesla model 3".

Yeah, the car can show your phone connected under the 'locks' menu, but the 'key' BT connection is not active, so you cannot drive the car. In my wife's case, she was having trouble when discovering she had BT turned off already inside the car. Even on a regular car, if you turn BT on after ignition is turned on, you have to turn it on manually. On the Tesla, it takes longer for the key to connect, but it eventually does. I haven't had any issues, because I always have BT on.

Wanted to add an additional potential issue: If you have your wife's phone as the 'priority' phone, it might be connecting to her phone instead of yours if it's in range. Check that setting. I'm going to disable that setting, so whoever is driving the car, gets connected to both as key and as regular BT. Hope it works :).

I've had my Model 3 for around 16 months. For the first year, maybe more, Bluetooth worked perfectly. Then, I traded in my previous iPhone for a 12 Pro Max and instantly started having issues. At least once a week the doors won't automatically unlock; I have to open the app and hit the unlock button. It will also prompt me to use the key card when I push the brake pedal. Such a pain in the butt when I'm carrying a bunch of things and my hands are full and the trunk won't open (I know, first world problems and all, lol).

Whenever this happens I simply turn off Bluetooth on my iPhone and then turn it back on, wait a minute, and then everything works normally again. That's the "easiest" fix I've found so far.

Another thing I noticed when I got the new phone is that I have to literally press my rear end against the trunk (I keep my phone in my back pocket) and hold it there for a couple of seconds for it to unlock.

And I know it's not just me or just my phone. My IT guy, who is amazing when it comes to things like this and knows everything about iPhones, Teslas, computers, etc. has the exact same problem, and it also started right after he traded in his old iPhone for a 12.

Long story short, IDK if this is an iPhone issue (which I'm leaning towards) or a Tesla issue but c'mon, it's been several months now, one of these companies needs to identify the issue and patch it up!