TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Unstable on 2019.12.1.2

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by m3tx, May 10, 2019.

1. m3tx

m3tx Member

Since 2019.12.1.1, the software has been extremely unstable for me, it hasn't improved on 2019.12.1.2
    I drive about 3 hours a day, and there isn't a day lately where the screen freezes, or wrong information starts to show (would show car is parked when I am driving 60mph); music freezes, lag on GPS, etc... luckily car keeps running and I can reboot as I drive; but it's very unsettling obviously, especially when running autopilot.

I haven't seen many reports of this around here, it's not a common problem for you guys?

• Like x 1
  2. Andy_STL

Andy_STL Member

I just got the music freeze yesterday. It happened any time i would shift in or out of drive, reverse, park, etc. I would have to switch to radio and back to phone to get my music to start playing again. A soft reset fixed it for now.

3. m3tx

m3tx Member

not seeing much actvity on this thread... does this mean it's not a widespread issue?

4. mtndrew1

mtndrew1 Active Member

A friend of mine had this exact issue for about 48 hours then it went away. Showed the incorrect drive indicator (PRND), GPS froze, garage door opener inop, etc.

5. MMBTUS

MMBTUS Member

Sometimes a background maps update, pending or in progress, can lead to odd, transient behaviors with or without a firmware update. It’s a huge file. Just speculating.

6. diplomat33

diplomat33 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about that. I hope you get it resolved.

2019.12.1.2 has been extremely stable for me.

• Like x 1
  7. M109Rider

M109Rider Active Member

Mine is good. No issues here.

8. lolder

lolder Member

There has been a recent maps update. I don't think that can occur via LTE underway.

9. OCR1

OCR1 Active Member

I still get the black screen on reverse for about 5-10 seconds but otherwise it’s been very stable.

10. TomT

TomT Technical Maven

I've had no issues on 2019.12.1.2

11. tschmidty

tschmidty Member

Do you have a usb stick for dashcam? Try removing it and see if that helps.

12. mtndrew1

mtndrew1 Active Member

I take it back, my friend’s car is back to being unusable. Service center Monday.

13. m3tx

m3tx Member

I thought about that last night and unplugged it, haven't driven since but will report.

Is that a wild guess or are there some known issues around this?

14. super20g

super20g Member

Mine does all the same things. Service told me there is nothing they can do. Just want for a future firmware update to hopefully fix... I missed that in the marketing materials, ugh.

15. M109Rider

M109Rider Active Member

I think every smart phone, smart device, and the computer in this smart car has glitches. I think anyone who can't handle software glitches, should NEVER have purchased a car that runs on a computer like this one.
    You folks need to wait 3-5 years when the bugs are all long gone.
    Otherwise, you get to be first adopters of these cars, and live with the nuances, plus, and challenges that go along with a software driven car. ......

16. mswlogo

mswlogo Well-Known Member

I had that for about two weeks (usually just a couple seconds). Then the past week it’s been instant video. Couple months ago it was out for half the day. Only once.

17. super20g

super20g Member

Meh... Or they could just push out less buggy software... At least not push out software that causes car computers to reboot randomly causing loss of readout and functions while driving... Or market the car as beta so people know what they are getting into.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  18. m3tx

m3tx Member

Calm down dude, no need to be so defensive; just asking around how prevalent the problem is to know whether it was a software issue or possibly a hardware malfunction that needs serviced.

You folks need to wait a few years to come on these forums if you can’t handle simple questions without getting all patronizing.

• Like x 2
  19. bsf29

bsf29 Member

2019.12.1.2 has been very stable so far in both our M3 and MS. One way commute is about an hour and I've had this update for just over a week. Having had a MS for 2 yrs I have learned that when I have a bad update, I need to reboot (sometimes twice) and typically things settle down. I have had updates that never worked themselves out and then I just had to wait for the next one. I have never had an update that gave me any concern about using the car. There have been times that I have had problems when the majority of other owners have had good experience on the same version. Our MS does tend to have more issues and I'm always wondering if it is AP 2.0 that just can't process things as well as 2.5.

20. DanH

DanH Member

Mine hang and crashed daily. I have dashcam and have been listening music from my usb drive recently as well. I’ll remove my music usb drive tomorrow to see if that’ll make a difference. It’s good to know that others have similar issue. It’s a software issue rather than hardware. Thank you for the post!