Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unstable steering at speeds around 80 mph

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has any owners with Sep 2016 delivery noticed the steering feel unstable and swaying or drifting right and left? I just had my MS 75 with coil suspension in for service but they couldn't figure it out. I also ran into another owner who overheard me explaining my issues and he had the same steering issue. Please post how they fixed your issue or any recommendation would help.

I had a tech ride with me but that did not help. For some reason he thought it was normal. I also had an off centered steering wheel and they still didn't get it dialed right. Hoping someone had same issue fixed recently so I can point them in right direction. I've searched and found old issues back in 2013 that owners had the same experience. I told them about it but they said it was resolved. I really liked the drive of the overnight test drive car but this swaying is annoying . I'm thinking of bringing it to the Buena Park service center instead of Costa Mesa and see if they can better analyze the issue.

I got the model X P100D not S. I took it to a track recently to test it out. 100 MPH very solid. But after 140MPH it gets pretty scary. I did around 147MPH but it was too unstable to continue. It was fairly windy though, but still definitely this car is not built for high speeds or there are some issues with it. I was surprised how quickly this car gets to 140MPH.
On another note I could not get 0-60 better than 3.2 seconds, tthat was my best time.

My 2013 P85 has always felt "floaty" and follows even the lightest grooves in the road - including cracks that have been patched. Combine the tramlining with a windy day and sometimes I feel like I'm fighting to keep the car under control. I've been asking my service center about this for three years now, they always say it's normal and drives like all the other cars. I even had the service manager drive the car on the freeway for 50 miles and he also said that it drives just fine. Loaners w/ 19" wheels feel like my car, those with 21" don't. The only differences would be the wheel size and tire brand (Michelin).

the fact your steering wheel was off center... is telling you the alignment is bad.

start there

You can also tune alignments for more higher speed stability at the expense of ... something else... like maybe rubber consumption.. it would be an art trying to do that for model S tho... Tesla wouldn't go there, you'd need an expert alignment shop (for racing / exotics) to even entertain the idea

maybe lolachamp on this forum can make some suggestions

Thanks for the suggestion on the alignment. I've been doing some searching and have found some old post back in 2013 of similar issues. The fix back then was replacing washers on the rear axle. I told that to the Costa Mesa service center but they said that issue was fixed. I'm going to try and test drive a friend's MS that also has the 19 inch wheels to see if his feels the same. Driving on the freeway is just hard to keep the car going straight without having to feel like it's swaying back and fourth .

Thanks for the suggestion on the alignment. I've been doing some searching and have found some old post back in 2013 of similar issues. The fix back then was replacing washers on the rear axle. I told that to the Costa Mesa service center but they said that issue was fixed. I'm going to try and test drive a friend's MS that also has the 19 inch wheels to see if his feels the same. Driving on the freeway is just hard to keep the car going straight without having to feel like it's swaying back and fourth .

OK, let's start taking wagers..

You have too much toe-out. Because of your steering wheel, I'm going to say front toe out.

Wheel Alignment Explained

The Buena Park service center redid the alignment and torqued all suspension bolts but that did not help. My service advisor looked on the bulletine and said that it's been a common complaint and they've attributed it to the 19 inch MS cars. I finally decided to get the 21 inch staggered wheels with Michelins pilots and the steering greattach now. My guess is its the Good Years that they are putting on the 19 inch wheels. Maybe someone with different tirestyles on the 19 can chime in. Hope this helps anyone out there with the same steering issue.

• Informative
Reactions: Swift and davidc18
You probably had a tire pull. (Defect of the tire). Tire pulls suck, because their effects fly in the face of an otherwise perfectly aligned car. A good aligner (my brother in law) can adjust alignment to compensate for tire pulls... but that all falls apart when you rotate tires, you'd need another alignment!!

With staggered setup, you are effectively aligning the car (after a road test) to compensate for any tire pulls... and THAT'S OKAY because you cannot rotate tires on that vehicle anyway... each wheel has a corner it belongs to and that's that for the life of that rubber... so you may as well align things to get the best use (least wear) of the rubber.