Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unstoppable high speed wipers

Alby

May 13, 2018
Ottawa
Little bit of ice in the wiper area made the wipers stick for a bit. Hit the spray button to see if that would help. They exploded out of the wiper hidey hole at max speed.

Strange thing was that nothing I did to the wiper settings could stop them. Max speed, couldn't spray or turn them off. Had to put the car in park at a light and pretend to get out, and that did it. Fine after that.

Worth a bug report I bet? Not very safe!

• Informative
Reactions: McCaesar

McCaesar

Apr 27, 2018
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Someone posted in one of the dozens of winter threads that it's a good idea to turn off auto wipers in the winter too. if the wipers are frozen to their hidey holes and try and turn on, the wiper motor might be ruined.

Emorson

Nov 23, 2018
Toronto
How do you shut off the wipers. Today in the snow and ice it made the windshield worse going on in auto. I don’t know how to completely stop them. There is the 3 alternate speed settings but no off.
We need an off setting ... have I missed it?

Tz00

3 LR AWD
Jan 5, 2019
NB, Canada
How do you shut off the wipers

The blue button above the speed/auto selector.

Screenshot_20191112-001947.png

Leonard Peter

Dec 29, 2019
Canada
I had a similar problem with my X
In a heavy snow they only operated at high speed. I was able to turn them off and manually single wiped the windshield.
I called service and they changed the sensor. I think it’s better but haven’t had a heavy snow yet.

M_D129

Nov 22, 2019
Minnesota
Little bit of ice in the wiper area made the wipers stick for a bit. Hit the spray button to see if that would help. They exploded out of the wiper hidey hole at max speed.

Strange thing was that nothing I did to the wiper settings could stop them. Max speed, couldn't spray or turn them off. Had to put the car in park at a light and pretend to get out, and that did it. Fine after that.

Worth a bug report I bet? Not very safe!
I would report it regardless in the future, and they can choose what to do with it.

Also, besides not having auto on, in the winter, when parked, and you know freezing precipitation will be present, use “Wiper Service Mode”, under Service. This will keep them out of their tucked position, and allow you to defrost them, along with the windshield, through the app.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dave EV

Ryephile

Nov 15, 2019
Detroit
I've stopped using the Auto wipers. Tesla should have just used a known-good traditional IR sensor.

OP, I'm wondering if the spray smeared the cameras and they took over with spaz-wiping?

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC