Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unsubstantiated tweet: 7k for supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in! These are the options I want, but my fear is it'll get closer to $10k for all of it...

I'm going to get at least PXXD...if not Ludicrous, and I think my "drop dead" number is going to be around $75K.....

At this point, I'm just saving up all the cash I can, and will let it all work itself out in the end. I have enough money right now for the base model and all taxes, title, registration fees...cash.

Between now and delivery, I'm saving up for options, and then I'll have to play a shell game.

I may have to finance the last $10-15K for a short period of time, until I can take my Audi to Carmax and sell it. Then I'll pay off the car loan (hopefully before any interest accrues), and put the rest back into my bank account.....

It's all a matter of timing now. And pricing I suppose. LOL

Ok, Ok...$10,000
Still works for me. Not much more though.

Dan

Upgrading +20kWh and to AWD in the Model S costs $18,000. That doesn't include the cost of super charging since that's already built into the base S price.

Hard to envision the same upgrades not costing at least $12,000 for the 3 (2/3 the cost of the S). Then add another $1,000+ for super charging.

That's how I see it.

Upgrading +20kWh and to AWD in the Model S costs $18,000. That doesn't include the cost of super charging since that's already built into the base S price.

Hard to envision the same upgrades not costing at least $12,000 for the 3 (2/3 the cost of the S). Then add another $1,000+ for super charging.

That's how I see it.
The price per kWh may not be linear though. At the lower end, it's probably a little easier to get higher in power than it is at the higher end. I'm not sure how they do it now, but for the highest end models, there might be a little bit of "grade sorting" where the highest grade batteries go to the cars that ordered the most capacity. They obviously have to pay more for this, and the benefits could come down to others in lower upgrade prices for the Model 3.

Another view on the math...
Model S, battery + AWD upgrades: $18k/71.5k base, or about 25% extra
Model 3, battery + AWD upgrades: Assuming 25% extra, $8,750 extra

I think this percentage is also important in terms of what consumers will be willing to pay. If they want $18k for the range and AWD upgrade, I will have to cancel my reservation - the Model 3 with some upgrades is already a bit more than I want to spend, but I'm willing to do it for the technology and enjoyment. If I'm wrong, I'll just wait another 5 years for this to all mature and come down in price.

Reactions: Justmurr
I don't think a proportional approach is the appropriate approach. And also said $12,000 (or 2/3 the cost of the S upgrades) for the 3, not $18,000 like the S. This assumed advances in battery tech and economies of scale that reduced cost. The 33% improvement is admittedly arbitrary.

It will likely come down to which customers are going to bear the brunt of recouping GigaFactory costs....

PowerWall or Tesla Motors.

A good sign for us, as car purchasers, was when Elon said yesterday, instead of a 2/3 car battery, 1/3 Powerwall split at GF1, he actually envisions it being 50/50. So the markup Tesla will charge to recoup their costs will be spread a little more evenly between the product lines.

There may be a kernel of truth in that... recall that if you got a 40 it would cost an additional $12k to get supercharging... you were also unlocking ~20kWh of battery capacity but it still cost $12k to get supercharging.

$7K could be accurate if the price includes a 10 - 15 kWh battery upgrade and Supercharging.
$2K for Supercharging only seems reasonable ... keep in mind that current Model S 60kWh upgrade is $2.5K.

Enable Supercharging.PNG

The price per kWh may not be linear though. At the lower end, it's probably a little easier to get higher in power than it is at the higher end. I'm not sure how they do it now, but for the highest end models, there might be a little bit of "grade sorting" where the highest grade batteries go to the cars that ordered the most capacity. They obviously have to pay more for this, and the benefits could come down to others in lower upgrade prices for the Model 3.

Another view on the math...
Model S, battery + AWD upgrades: $18k/71.5k base, or about 25% extra
Model 3, battery + AWD upgrades: Assuming 25% extra, $8,750 extra

I think this percentage is also important in terms of what consumers will be willing to pay. If they want $18k for the range and AWD upgrade, I will have to cancel my reservation - the Model 3 with some upgrades is already a bit more than I want to spend, but I'm willing to do it for the technology and enjoyment. If I'm wrong, I'll just wait another 5 years for this to all mature and come down in price.

I like where your heads at with the math... Not so much on the cancel and wait if too pricey... I may need to settle for a (gulp) base version. :eek: But I am getting this car no matter what...it's already been too long.

I only skimmed the thread, but I'll throw in a guess where the 7k number came from ...

Knowns/Assumptions:
1. Base Model 3 price $35k.
2. Average Model 3 price ~$42k.
3. All Model 3 cars will be supercharger capable (hardware).
4. Base Model 3 does not include "supercharging-for-life" as standard equipment.

Guesses/Speculation:
5. Largest capacity battery equipped Model 3 will include supercharging option as standard equipment.
6. Smallest capacity (and middle capacity) battery equipped Model 3 will have a paid option for supercharging.
7. Supercharging option -- whether paid for a la carte or as part of the larger battery -- will include free charging for life.

All the of the above seems reasonable to me.

From there, fuzzy thinking easily leads to 42k - 35k = 7k. The internet population does a lot of fuzzy thinking.