Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unsure if model 3 would be right for me - advice appreciated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I recently got a VIN and am having second thoughts about EV ownership. Yes I know I probably should have thought this through more before placing the order. Worst case scenario I’m out $100.

I’ve been without a car since March.

I don’t commute to work since my company has shuttles. We are on a hybrid system so I only commute 3x a week.

It’s still been a pain in the butt since most of my friends live in the suburbs and also doing daily things like going to the gym or hiking or snowboarding are way easier with a car. Also a car just gives more freedom and Uber/Lyft rides start to add up.

So this car would mainly be for pleasure and not as much commuting. Also when I test drove the model 3, I BECAME OBSSESSED. Ive already rented it on Turo like 4 times because it’s just so fun to drive.

My apartment has 2 stalls for charging (Level 2) and management told me the rule is after you’re done charging to leave the spot. Aka only use the spot if you’re charging.

However at times I do see the same car there for hours on end, sometimes days. So it’s not like I would have a 100% reliable spot to charge, but I feel maybe I would find a way to make it work?

I tried asking about getting a spot next to a 120V plug and apartment management didn’t seem to know if I could even do that. They said to use the L2 chargers as needed.

Other charging is a supercharger 15 mins away, another L2 that is a 15 min walk for max 3 hours in city hall, and my apartment management also manages the building next door which also has L2 chargers, which I can use if my apartment is also full. There’s also another L2 nearby with 1 stall that is quite pricey ($0.40 per kwh).

I can also use charging during grocery store visits or shopping where they have free Volta chargers.

I made the order after being addicted to driving the thing! But now the adult in me is like based on my driving habits do I need a M3? I ordered the LR AWD so that if I did do snowboarding then it would be doable.

If I didn’t get a tesla I would probably get a Mazda 3.

I can afford the car, it’s just a question of opportunity cost. But if I didn’t buy the car then I guess I would just invest that money.

Any advice is appreciated!

You can always sell it if you have a change of heart, and possibly even make a profit. As for your charging situation, I'd try to get to know the other driver who parks there for hours. They may feel little compunction to move, since they don't see anyone else charging. Maybe if they saw another Tesla, and knew you, they'd follow the rules more closely.

It sounds like you will buy a car no matter what and could make charging work with minimal effort. I used a 120v for the mobile charger for 1.5 years before I got a wall charger and I know a very active member on TMC that does a lot of road trips who also only uses 120v to charge. If more people are needing to use the L2 charger, I’m sure the management could enforce the “charge and move” expectation.

There’s more to having a Model 3 than a fun driving experience, though that is amazing and a huge reason to buy a Tesla. Having an EV is helping in your small way to help the environment by not supporting fossil fuel companies or creating pollution when you drive. We all take the steps we can. Maybe you’ll buy a house at some point and get solar so the electricity you use to power the vehicle is clean (and free after the pay off period).

Sometimes we need to buy what will bring us joy in our daily lives. Two years in and I’m still thrilled each time I drive my car. I’ve never loved a car more or taken more road trips. You'll probably have the car for many years and may need to drive more in the future. Even now, you’ll enjoy the car going to the store or out for adventures.

I can afford the car, it’s just a question of opportunity cost. But if I didn’t buy the car then I guess I would just invest that money...

Economically, of course carless is better without the upfront cost, annual fees, insurance, fuel...

With all those cost you can pay Uber/Lyft for decades.

Since you got the obsession and you got the money, you should buy it to satisfy that hunger.

It's best to have your own plug for predictability. However, you have listed the solutions when you don't.

Maybe you can exchange phone numbers with all who use your apartment charger too.

…Uber/Lyft rides start to add up.
One can buy a boatload of rides for the equivalent of a car payment, plus registration/insurance/taxes/fuel/maintenance. At least an EV has fuel and maintenance costs lower than those of ICE vehicles, but they still cost something.
…I BECAME OBSSESSED.
I think you have your answer here^^^.
I can afford the car
Just for definition sake, that phrase means to me I can pay cash for this depreciating asset and not miss it too much. And I am able to enjoy other parts of my life without scrimping elsewhere to pay for this car. Your definition might be different.
…it’s just a question of opportunity cost. But if I didn’t buy the car then I guess I would just invest that money.
It’s always a question of opportunity cost. So, getting a depreciating asset for a likely appreciating one. Lemme think about that…OK, I’ve thought about it. Go for the investment. But only you can really make the decision about opportunity costs. And since you’ve BECOME OBSESSED, I think you already have. Good luck. Seriously.
You’ve gotten mine, and that of a few others. So, whadarya gonna do?

Given the current cost of gasoline in the US, I'd opt for getting any EV at the moment. Sure it may cost more initially than an ICE, but that should be offset by the lower cost of operation (now and for the foreseeable future) when expressed in simple terms of cents per mile. You live in an area which has relatively cheap cost of electricity, which may not translate to low commercial charges but ask yourself how long are you going to be living where you're at. If home ownership is on the horizon, then you won't have to worry about your charging situation. $0.40/kWh works out to just over $30 for a 0-100% charge for my 2018 LR RWD. Meaning $30 for (optimistically) 300 miles. So 10 cents a mile. Do the similar calculation for whatever ICE you are considering.

Contact the apartment manager. Ask if there's a published rule about moving after charging and if not, have them distribute it to all of the residents. That way nobody can say that they didn't know the rules. Get to know your neighbors who have EVs and use the charging station(s) and maybe you'll have a bit of leverage in getting them to follow the rules.

I own my home. I've had my 3 for almost four years. I don't charge at home. For the first year I was using the (free) charging stations at work. Then I retired. I now rely upon a ChargePoint station near my house and a CHAdeMO adapter that's cheaper than my home rates ($0.19 vs $0.30+). Or I go and use a Supercharger, also near me ($0.29). I've got just over 23K miles on the car so I don't drive much anymore but lack of home charging isn't that much of a problem for me. Yes, I do have to sit for an hour to get 100 miles on the car but watching Netflix or Paramount+ makes the time pass easily.

ref: Average Energy Prices, Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue – April 2022 : Western Information Office : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Reactions: cpaull
It sounds like you will buy a car no matter what and could make charging work with minimal effort. I used a 120v for the mobile charger for 1.5 years before I got a wall charger and I know a very active member on TMC that does a lot of road trips who also only uses 120v to charge. If more people are needing to use the L2 charger, I’m sure the management could enforce the “charge and move” expectation.

There’s more to having a Model 3 than a fun driving experience, though that is amazing and a huge reason to buy a Tesla. Having an EV is helping in your small way to help the environment by not supporting fossil fuel companies or creating pollution when you drive. We all take the steps we can. Maybe you’ll buy a house at some point and get solar so the electricity you use to power the vehicle is clean (and free after the pay off period).

Sometimes we need to buy what will bring us joy in our daily lives. Two years in and I’m still thrilled each time I drive my car. I’ve never loved a car more or taken more road trips. You'll probably have the car for many years and may need to drive more in the future. Even now, you’ll enjoy the car going to the store or out for adventures.
Right on the money!

So you're on the fence, Model 3 vs Mazda 3? haha
Did you also ask this question on the Mazda forums? haha
Have you even looked for a Mazda forum? haha
Wake up!

No brainer, Get the Tesla!
Model 3 LR is an excellent choice.
You've already figured out the charging options and there's always new options coming in the future.
Only problem is all your buddies are going to want to ride in your car on those snowboarding trips.

For sure the Mazda 3 is a lot cheaper upfront, but you'll be kicking yourself every time you're pumping $6 gas or sitting in the waiting room during the semi-annual oil changes.

The total cost of ownership might even be less on the Mazda, but only if you discount the breathing of toxic fumes (tailpipe and pumping gas).

Zero chance the Mazda will ever be nearly as fun to drive. For that matter, my opinion is that no ICE vehicle will ever be as fun as the Model 3.

Good luck making this super easy decision! 😜

I can afford the car, it’s just a question of opportunity cost. But if I didn’t buy the car then I guess I would just invest that money.

Both the Tesla and Mazda are good cars, though of course very different. Ask yourself this .. do you need the car? Is it just for fun, or is there an additional need? ANY car is a big chunk of $$ once you factor in insurance etc etc.

There is also the fact that EV tech is moving rapidly .. if you wait a couple of years you will get a lot more tech for your money.

Never said I would buy a car no matter what. Could make Lyft work, it’s just more of a pain lol

One can buy a boatload of rides for the equivalent of a car payment, plus registration/insurance/taxes/fuel/maintenance. At least an EV has fuel and maintenance costs lower than those of ICE vehicles, but they still cost something.

I think you have your answer here^^^.

Just for definition sake, that phrase means to me I can pay cash for this depreciating asset and not miss it too much. And I am able to enjoy other parts of my life without scrimping elsewhere to pay for this car. Your definition might be different.

It’s always a question of opportunity cost. So, getting a depreciating asset for a likely appreciating one. Lemme think about that…OK, I’ve thought about it. Go for the investment. But only you can really make the decision about opportunity costs. And since you’ve BECOME OBSESSED, I think you already have. Good luck. Seriously.

You’ve gotten mine, and that of a few others. So, whadarya gonna do?
I mean $50k is a good amount of money but I could buy 5 teslas in cash if needed. It’s just the question of opportunity cost. I’m still super young so that could be invested for like 40 years or something

Good luck on your new car - getting a Tesla seems more like a hobby then just buying a car - I sold my Mazda cx3 as it had several problems like $1400 speedometer not covered - I have also thought of cancelling my M3 and look at other cars everyday in my community and on the road - after driving the Tesla - ice cars seem old fashioned
Alan g

I grew up down a dirt road, so I like having a car, unless it becomes irritating.

(Essentially, when it’s easier/less frustrating to walk or bicycle.)

However, if you’re young, and in a bear market with cash, I can see the desire to put money in an index fund.

What about buying a classic car? Teslas don’t depreciate, much, but I don’t see them ever being something which really will - “practical” cars are usually bad investments, unless it’s certain off road vehicles/pick ups.