Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unsure if model 3 would be right for me - advice appreciated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We should live life for enjoyment. It is a short one. I enjoy mine more because of Tesla, in many ways. It is a regret-less purchase.

Boom! This one. Too many people on here posting rationales for buying the Tesla. Certainly if you have the means and want it, go get it. Life is short. Life is not all about finances. Sometimes you just need to go and enjoy life.

If I didn’t get a tesla I would probably get a Mazda 3.
I have a 2020 Mazda 3 sport AWD and 2022 model 3 RWD.

If you don’t care about the gas money, you should get a 3 turbo. The interior feels much nicer than the Tesla and if you get the hatchback it’s more practical. Also less quality control issues with than Tesla.
08F60E72-C5F6-4318-9F1E-CB157202F722.jpeg

However, the turbo didn’t exist when I got mine so the model 3 is more fun to drive, autopilot is nice to have during long trips or traffic jams, and the infotainment system is nice.

Reactions: KenC
So you're on the fence, Model 3 vs Mazda 3? haha
Did you also ask this question on the Mazda forums? haha
Have you even looked for a Mazda forum? haha
Wake up!

No brainer, Get the Tesla!
Model 3 LR is an excellent choice.
You've already figured out the charging options and there's always new options coming in the future.
Only problem is all your buddies are going to want to ride in your car on those snowboarding trips.
The newer gens Mazdas are much better than you think. Interior quality is better and the turbo version makes it on par with the RWD model 3 for a fraction of the cost.

I’ve had way more issues in the 4 months that I’ve had my Tesla than in the 2 years that I’ve had my Mazda 3

I have a 2020 Mazda 3 sport AWD and 2022 model 3 RWD.

If you don’t care about the gas money, you should get a 3 turbo. The interior feels much nicer than the Tesla and if you get the hatchback it’s more practical. Also less quality control issues with than Tesla. View attachment 816409

However, the turbo didn’t exist when I got mine so the model 3 is more fun to drive, autopilot is nice to have during long trips or traffic jams, and the infotainment system is nice.
The turbo is what I was considering. Turbo AWD Mazda 3 vs Tesla Model 3 AWD LR. I feel like the Tesla would be more fun to drive?

The turbo is what I was considering. Turbo AWD Mazda 3 vs Tesla Model 3 AWD LR. I feel like the Tesla would be more fun to drive?

Of course. The turbo AWD Mazda is much slower than a LR Model 3. The Model 3 is a much more grown up car. I've had my Model 3 for 3 years now and i've spent $40 total on maintenance outside of tires. LOVE the car. i also obliterated a turbo AWD Mazda 3 at a light too :D Its nowhere close to the Model 3 LR and it shouldn't be considering the price difference.

I'm having second thoughts as well. I'm really eyeing a RAV4 Prime.

I have almost the same situation as you. I can charge at work though(Private lot). We have no chargers in our condo complex. I do have a couple parking garage chargers across the street though. Don't know how that will feel like once I have the M3LR

The Tesla will definitely be more fun but you have to consider the price difference.

My Mazda AWD without turbo isn’t the fastest but it’s still fun to drive especially in the snow whereas the Tesla just cuts off all the power.

I would say you get 90% of what the Tesla gets you for 70% of the price. It’s a bit slower, not electric, no big screen.

Boom! This one. Too many people on here posting rationales for buying the Tesla. Certainly if you have the means and want it, go get it. Life is short. Life is not all about finances. Sometimes you just need to go and enjoy life.
Agree - I always tell people - because everyone is waiting for something, we are waiting for this to happen or we can’t do this because of this, don’t be so poor at the end of the day all you have is money. If you can afford it, want it and won't put you in a bad financial position - then do it - life is short. Over analyzing anything will leave you on the fence.

Last edited:
The Tesla will definitely be more fun but you have to consider the price difference.

My Mazda AWD without turbo isn’t the fastest but it’s still fun to drive especially in the snow whereas the Tesla just cuts off all the power.

I would say you get 90% of what the Tesla gets you for 70% of the price. It’s a bit slower, not electric, no big screen.

I have a touring Mazda 3 and I just don't think its anywhere near as fun as my Tesla. Just my opinion but one is a revolutionary drivetrain with crazy features and a completely different driving experience vs. a nice compact car. I also don't think its a "bit" slower. A LR Model 3 will pull mid 4s all day vs. a 6-7s car. Thats a couple bus lengths of difference.

I have a touring Mazda 3 and I just don't think its anywhere near as fun as my Tesla. Just my opinion but one is a revolutionary drivetrain with crazy features and a completely different driving experience vs. a nice compact car. I also don't think its a "bit" slower. A LR Model 3 will pull mid 4s all day vs. a 6-7s car. Thats a couple bus lengths of difference.
@father_of_6
That’s why I said that the Tesla will definitely be more fun to drive.

You have the old gen Mazda 3 so you can’t compare it. Mazda is trying to go upscale so they improved a lot over your 3rd gen.

We’re comparing it against the 3 turbo which does 5.6s so it’s 15k less for 1.4 seconds
- better quality interior
- more practical (hatchback)
- in my experience better service (look at my post about mobile service damaging my car and how they handled it). The Mazda dealership slightly scratched all of my rims while putting the winter tires on, they instantly took responsibility and repainted all my wheels, including fixing some curb damage that I did.
- 360 camera view
- no agressive traction control
- I don’t know about the sound system in the LR but the Bose sound system in my Mazda is 100x better than my RWD model 3

@father_of_6
That’s why I said that the Tesla will definitely be more fun to drive.

You have the old gen Mazda 3 so you can’t compare it. Mazda is trying to go upscale so they improved a lot over your 3rd gen.

We’re comparing it against the 3 turbo which does 5.6s so it’s 15k less for 1.4 seconds
- better quality interior
- more practical (hatchback)
- in my experience better service (look at my post about mobile service damaging my car and how they handled it). The Mazda dealership slightly scratched all of my rims while putting the winter tires on, they instantly took responsibility and repainted all my wheels, including fixing some curb damage that I did.
- 360 camera view
- no agressive traction control
- I don’t know about the sound system in the LR but the Bose sound system in my Mazda is 100x better than my RWD model 3

The interior is nice but the drivetrain doesn't have the same punch as a LR and its NOT EVEN CLOSE. 5.6s is if you launch it. 5-60 which is an indicator of what you would see on the streets is 6.4s which is significantly weaker than a LR which runs 5-60 at the same clip as 0-60 due to instant torque. In a daily, its extremely noticeable...any hot hatch feels super laggy comparatively as the induction motor in the AWD gives it instant punch. From a roll, it would be a slaughter....there is a 17mph difference in the quarter.

My service center has been very nice to me for both Tesla and Mazda so thats region specific. The premium sound in the Tesla is much better than the RWD so can't comment on how the Bose would be.

I do agree that LR prevents fun if you want to hoon it but its not a track car so most cars in the segment do that. My M3P has track mode and you can get rid of most of the nannies and do drifts all day long so there is an option for Model 3 owners if they want that ability.

I don't think its anywhere near 90% of a Model 3 LR but we can agree to disagree.

I own my home. I've had my 3 for almost four years. I don't charge at home. For the first year I was using the (free) charging stations at work. Then I retired. I now rely upon a ChargePoint station near my house and a CHAdeMO adapter that's cheaper than my home rates ($0.19 vs $0.30+). Or I go and use a Supercharger, also near me ($0.29). I've got just over 23K miles on the car so I don't drive much anymore but lack of home charging isn't that much of a problem for me. Yes, I do have to sit for an hour to get 100 miles on the car but watching Netflix or Paramount+ makes the time pass easily.

ref: Average Energy Prices, Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue – April 2022 : Western Information Office : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
It's amazing to me how many people will gladly idle away an hour or two just so they can get a charge for a few cents less. These are people who obviously have the money... they bought a Tesla, didn't they.,. but feel they need to save a nickel or two more by letting someone else pay for the electricity, or at least part of it. Come on. You can plug into a 110 outlet at home if that's all you have! And you can watch Netflix at home, too. Just because it's free doesn't mean you've got to suck on that teat. If enough people do as you do, the price of Teslas would have to go up, meaning we all pay for your cheapness. My opinion, of course.

I own my own home, too. I've driven Teslas for over ten years, and I charge at home. I've found that if I go to Wal Mart all day I can enjoy their free Air Conditioning! And their free bathrooms, which are cheaper than the ones at home! You know, of course, this only makes you look cheap.

Reactions: username123
It's amazing to me how many people will gladly idle away an hour or two just so they can get a charge for a few cents less. These are people who obviously have the money... they bought a Tesla, didn't they.,. but feel they need to save a nickel or two more by letting someone else pay for the electricity, or at least part of it. Come on. You can plug into a 110 outlet at home if that's all you have! And you can watch Netflix at home, too. Just because it's free doesn't mean you've got to suck on that teat. If enough people do as you do, the price of Teslas would have to go up, meaning we all pay for your cheapness. My opinion, of course.

I own my own home, too. I've driven Teslas for over ten years, and I charge at home. I've found that if I go to Wal Mart all day I can enjoy their free Air Conditioning! And their free bathrooms, which are cheaper than the ones at home! You know, of course, this only makes you look cheap.
<s> Yes, I paid cash for my car in 2018. So I did have the money. </s> I can't (don't want to) plug into a 120V outlet in my garage. The only outlet readily available for charging is daisy-chained to an outlet that has a GFCI in it (don't ask; it was that way when we bought the house). Said GFCI outlet has a refrigerator plugged into it, along with the hot water recirculation pump and a few other things. Otherwise I'd have to use an extension cord and even then, I wouldn't be able to use a dedicated circuit since every other outlet in the garage is on the same circuit breaker. I could put in a dedicated breaker.... ah, wait. That won't work. You think I'm cheap. Hmmm... I guess that proves it. I did have plans on installing my HPWC and a 14-50 outlet in the garage but I haven't done it yet since I'm basically lazy. The amount of driving I'm doing now is easily covered by ChargePoint and Supercharging sessions. If I was still working (commuting 30 miles per day) I'd probably think about installing home charging. Ah, damn. That won't fly since where I used to work has free charging for employees. I can't pass up that perk now can I?

Sure, living up in Wine Country probably takes a certain amount of wealth. Owning two fairly new Teslas highlights that. And being an early adopter from at least 2012 when there was only S or Roadster kinda proves that point. If you've read my posts over the years here you'd know that I've spent real money on my car and the charging accessories that go along with it. I bought a Gen2 HWPC before I even had my car (and it's still in the box in my garage instead of hanging on the wall). You'll note in the post you quoted that I mentioned I usually charge with a CHAdeMO adapter. That's $500 right there that will take years to recoup; those ChargePoint sessions are not free. I have most of the UMC adapters, even though I've never used them at all up to this point (haven't used the "M" in UMC). Hey, I even bought a marine-type locking plug (CS8269 to NEMA 14-50R) that was offered as EV charging at a motel I stayed at in Brookings, OR on the assumption that I'll be there again. Hmmm... I guess I probably shouldn't have done that since a couple miles into town they have a free CCS/CHAdeMO station that I used several times when I was there last. I'm poised to install the DIY CCS charging update as I have everything needed (Gen4 ECU, CCS adapter, bundle of wires, pending software update) which so far has run me about $400, all so the next time EVgo or EA offers a free charging weekend I can take advantage of it. There I go being cheap again.

The basic reason that I spent all the money on these different charging methods is just to have flexibility. If a company offers free electrons it's a bonus. This past week I used my CHAdeMO adapter twice in Ashland, OR at a WCEH station. All indications were that they charged $0.49/kWh for DCFC and I was very willing to pay for that, seeing that it appeared to be the only DC charging in town. As it turns out, the charging sessions were free. There were many free J1772 stations in the area but I couldn't see leaving the car (or sitting in it) for several hours at a time. Supercharger was about 15 miles away in Medford. Should I have driven the 30 miles just to pay for my juice at a SC when there was a stand only two miles from the motel I was at? The overall time involved was about the same; using a close, free, 50kW CHAdeMO connection versus driving to Medford to pay for a potential 250kW SC session. And just so you know, I stopped at a couple of SC stations to and from Oregon to charge. Didn't even think about searching for a free outlet.

My earlier post was directed to the OP about his/her hesitation on buying a Tesla without having reliable home charging. I offered my own situation and how it's possible to have a Tesla and not charge at home. Not understanding that point, I think that just makes you look obtuse. But that's only my opinion. :)

Reactions: alangold