Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unsure whether to accept this CPO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Basically I bought this CPO, 90D model S early this morning but I just got the pics from a CPO advisor and it looks beat up on the inside and out. I'm not sure how much it would be to fix the issues but here's the specs:

1. Midnight Silver Metallic Paint
  2. Black Leather Tesla Premium Seats
  3. 19" Silver Slipstream Wheels
  4. Sunroof
  5. Figured Ash Wood Décor
  6. Integrated Center Console
  7. Black Headliner
  8. Enhanced Autopilot
  9. HEPA Air Filtration System
  10. Keyless Entry
  11. Power Liftgate
  12. GPS Enabled Homelink

Dropbox - 194525 - Simplify your life

Thanks for the quick feedback. Going to see if I can just get a refund, if not, allocate my deposit towards my tentative reserved Model 3.

I thought it was a priced well but it was questionable to me whether it was worth it after seeing the pics.

Price but was 75,200

Actually, our 2017 90D was around $100k when new, IIRC.

I would advise your Tesla contact that by any standard, this USED CAR/not-a-CPO Tesla has been abused. As such, it will required both your time and money to bring it to an acceptable standard. Therefore, you would like to discontinue your purchase and order a Model 3 instead, OR:

Be compensated for your time and trouble via a discount of $4,800, to be applied immediately, AND with full right of refusal should you find even more damage upon arrival (check underneath for any battery impacts).

Sounds like a win-win to me so why not ask?

I went ahead earlier and asked for a refund and my CPO advisor obliged. It's a real damn shame the conditions that these vehicles are in and the fact that they actually try to offload these under the title of 'CPO' vehicles.

I've had a AWD Model 3 reserved for awhile now (est delivery time of Sept-Nov) but I'm way more excited about the prospect of owning a S. However, at this point, I might just stick to the 3 and maybe upgrade later since their CPO models are a joke now.

Reactions: neroden
Tesla sells used vehicles at a discount price.

It is up to each individual to determine if the car is worth the price offered.

As long as they do good disclosure you should be able to determine what you would be willing to pay.

A car with damage like this would most likely be purchased by someone with skills to refurb the vehicle to better condition. People do this all the time and can usually sell it for a profit or keep it as a well bought bargain.

People scour the Tesla offerings, looking for just the right car for them, and at the best price.

The one you are looking at perhaps has a lower price due to the work that will be required.

Tesla sells used vehicles at a discount price.

It is up to each individual to determine if the car is worth the price offered.

As long as they do good disclosure you should be able to determine what you would be willing to pay.

A car with damage like this would most likely be purchased by someone with skills to refurb the vehicle to better condition. People do this all the time and can usually sell it for a profit or keep it as a well bought bargain.

People scour the Tesla offerings, looking for just the right car for them, and at the best price.

The one you are looking at perhaps has a lower price due to the work that will be required.

What a great way to buy a car. :rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: MarkKW
Tesla used to offer a reconditioning deal. They took turn in vehicles and loaners and went through them with a fine took comb. Replaced anything worn and detailed the vehicles to a very high standard.

There were lots of posts of how amazing a deal these "perfect" used cars were. Many bragged that people buying new cars at full price were stupid when the used ones from Tesla were even better condition than new.

Someone at Tesla got wind of just how much $ they were spending to have those cars reconditioned to such a high standard.

Now they just clean them up and do minimal reconditioning. The prices more closly represent that these are used cars they are selling.

So we're selling CPO's with bumper damage and scrapes now too Elon?

Real classy, real classy.

Please tell me you stole this car at some ungodly discount?

Otherwise, Tesla should be ashamed of themselves.

As a WAG, I'd guess about $2k to $3k to replace the bumper, but what other damage is there that wasn't photographed?

I totally agree. Looks like they picked that up from a junk yard and I don't know who in their right mind would pay $75K for a car with so much damage. The only way these cars would make any sense is if they were offered with a massive discount to account for fixing all the damage.

It's like Tesla's CPO Program motto is "there is a sucker born every minute," given the pricing and how they are selling severely damaged cars.

I bet you can buy this private party 90D for around $70K and then if you add the 4 year ESA, you will have a car in much better shape and full warranty coverage through 2024!

Model S / 2016 / Dark Silver Metallic - 289e4 | Only Used Tesla

Compare the beaten the *sugar* out of car they presented you with the description for a private party car in the same price range:

2016 Used Tesla Model S 90D for sale. Austin. Texas.
Meticulously maintained dark silver Model S 90D, with every option except 3rd row seats. Upgraded wheel package, sound package, luxury lighting package, cold weather package (I had not lived until using the heated steering wheel). Only hand-washed and waxed its whole life, with C-Quartz applied when new. All maintenance completed. Free supercharging for life. 6 yrs remaining on battery warranty.

Tesla used to offer a reconditioning deal. They took turn in vehicles and loaners and went through them with a fine took comb. Replaced anything worn and detailed the vehicles to a very high standard.

There were lots of posts of how amazing a deal these "perfect" used cars were. Many bragged that people buying new cars at full price were stupid when the used ones from Tesla were even better condition than new.

Someone at Tesla got wind of just how much $ they were spending to have those cars reconditioned to such a high standard.

Now they just clean them up and do minimal reconditioning. The prices more closly represent that these are used cars they are selling.

Oh please. The prices these cars are sold at has absolutely nothing, to do with the condition they are in. Most start their lives in the Tesla inventory priced exorbitantly high and then many receive $600 to $1000 price reductions DAILY until someone bites. Some who bite them spit them out after they see the condition of the car and the cycles starts over.

I also don't buy your argument about how for whatever reason every single other car manufacturer and the most underhanded, sleazy/greedy car dealer in this country can sell refurbished used cars in this price range that look new but somehow it is beyond Tesla to sell a car in respectable condition. I guess you have never bought a used CPO Audi, Mercedes, or Porsche before or a CPO Toyota, Honda, or Kia before. Go to the used car lot of any of those dealers and you will see hundreds of pristine CPO cars.

Here's the price history for a vehicle being offered for $55K and the many price discounts applied to it to illustrate the point that they list cars at exorbitant prices and then apply price discounts and the final price is not an indication of the condition of the car but how many discounts they've applied to the car over time.

https://www.tesla.com/used/5YJSA1H16FF081413?redirect=no

8/27/18 43,970 $55,700
8/27/18 43,970 $68,600
8/8/18 43,959 $54,700
7/31/18 43,959 $55,700
7/30/18 43,959 $56,600
7/29/18 43,959 $57,600
7/28/18 43,959 $58,500
7/27/18 43,959 $59,400
7/26/18 43,959 $58,800
7/25/18 43,959 $59,800
7/23/18 43,959 $60,800
7/22/18 43,959 $61,700
7/21/18 43,959 $62,700
7/20/18 43,959 $63,600
7/19/18 43,959 $64,600
7/18/18 43,959 $65,500
7/17/18 43,959 $66,500
7/16/18 43,959 $67,400
7/15/18 43,959 $66,800
7/13/18 43,959 $67,700
7/10/18 43,959 $78,000

Thanks for the quick feedback. Going to see if I can just get a refund, if not, allocate my deposit towards my tentative reserved Model 3.

I thought it was a priced well but it was questionable to me whether it was worth it after seeing the pics.

Price but was 75,200

Definitely get your money back. That car is not priced well at all and it looks like it has been abused to death as a service loaner.

You can buy a P90D for less and it looks like it is in great shape.

2015 P90D

Last edited:
Reactions: neroden