Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unused EV charging stations

Which is better when you see a consistently unused public EV charging station

• Leave it unused

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Use it and remove your car promptly when your done

Votes: 13 100.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are several areas where I see there are multiple charging stations, I pass they frequently however they are unused. Regulars at the locations have also noticed, since these spots are closer stations are starting to get iced.... Will people start iceing more as they see stations unused? Are people considering the spaces a "waste of space?"

...Are people considering the spaces a "waste of space?"

For practical purpose, I think it is a mistake to have EV stations conveniently located at the busiest foot traffic like near the entrances of stores.

Since there's little or no enforcement on violations, ICE just are so tempted to ICE them.

Until enforcement on violations is perfected, EV stations should be located far away from store entrances where ICE hate to park the most.

Reactions: rhumbliner
Agreed, there is another area where we have a disabled EV spot. If they would have chosen the furthest spot to mount it, the station could be used buy both people with disabled placards, and someone without using the adjacent spot. But they chose to use the first spot resulting in almost constant use for people with placards and no ev...

For practical purpose, I think it is a mistake to have EV stations conveniently located at the busiest foot traffic like near the entrances of stores.

Since there's little or no enforcement on violations, ICE just are so tempted to ICE them.

Until enforcement on violations is perfected, EV stations should be located far away from store entrances where ICE hate to park the most.

Double agreed, they ought to be at the furthest spot in the parking lot.

But back to the subject. Sure, there will probably be some folks using them because the spots are empty all the time, but as they get used more, the tide should turn back the other way.

TonyT your post and poll are missing an important dimension - the economics.
I bet those unused stations are pay-to-use.
This has the advantage of keeping the station available for those who really need it, when they need it, and are willing to pay for it.
It also has the advantage for the site owner to not pay for electricity of those who may not be paying customers.
But you also have to think about the motivations for putting in such a station and how the economics help or hinder those goals.

I purposely didn't put them specifically some are free, some are pretty cheap .10 a kWh, however some are crazy expensive like .50 kWh or more... And too much variable depending on how much a kWh is in an area.

TonyT your post and poll are missing an important dimension - the economics.
I bet those unused stations are pay-to-use.
This has the advantage of keeping the station available for those who really need it, when they need it, and are willing to pay for it.
It also has the advantage for the site owner to not pay for electricity of those who may not be paying customers.
But you also have to think about the motivations for putting in such a station and how the economics help or hinder those goals.

I purposely didn't put them specifically some are free, some are pretty cheap .10 a kWh, however some are crazy expensive like .50 kWh or more... And too much variable depending on how much a kWh is in an area.
Sorry, buy your poll makes no sense to me. I'd not pay to use a charging site when I don't need to charge, just because it might get blocked or removed because of disuse.

I'd become a lot more altruistic at a free charging spot ... ;)

Reactions: APotatoGod
Businesses should not locate EV chargers near entrances to the businesses.
They should be located farther away from the entrance to help insure they are not blocked by lazy or inconsiderate people.
It is important that these chargers are available and not blocked for people that actually need to use them.

• Disagree
Reactions: TexasEV
Businesses should not locate EV chargers near entrances to the businesses.
They should be located farther away from the entrance to help insure they are not blocked by lazy or inconsiderate people.
If businesses didn’t locate them near the entrance many would not locate them at all. It’s too expensive to trench and run power to the other end of the parking lot.

...It’s too expensive to trench and run power to the other end of the parking lot.
I've been pondering the location of free AC charging outside a local big box in the most busy location and that was my conclusion as well, aside from the obvious PR value. I've never seen it used by anyone.
The EVSE is a 2 x Type 2 (3-ph, 32 A) fully exploitable by only one model EV here (the Renault Zoe, 22 kW) or at 7.4 kW with several new EV models including my Kona and others at lower rates with a T2 to T1 cable, yet the store is at the lowest end of the retail spectrum. When I use it every shopper stops and stares, with a few expressing a knowing nod to their shopping companions.