Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unused harness connector behind rear air vent assembly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

zdre

40kWh Model S, Model 3LR
Jan 18, 2010
St. Louis
Does anyone know the purpose of the blue connector behind the rear air vents?
It is taped to the harness that also connects the rear USB ports. The air vent assembly pops off easily by the way, at least on my car.
IMG_20180819_150756.jpg

Looks like a 3 pin connector. Not useful for connecting USB data (unless you only connected a single port - possible if there was a built in hub between this connector and the ports in the vent assembly) and only if you are grounding elsewhere with a shared ground.

Or it could be a 2 pin connector in which case it's probably totally useless for USB data ... unless the vent assembly is providing ground AND power which would be even stranger.

Oh that wire was for rear fan control. At some point there was a prototype with a physical rear air button, and while the button was removed, the harness wasn't changed.

Hmm …. Curious what the signaling would be for it.

I’m sure I could find a decent looking +/- button, and Mouser carries practically every connector known to man ……

Hmm …. Curious what the signaling would be for it.

I’m sure I could find a decent looking +/- button, and Mouser carries practically every connector known to man ……
It's meant for an illuminated button........
Pin 1 = High Side driver for Button signal &LED
Pin 2 = Ground Return

I've been tempted to hook it up myself - did they leave the code in for it to work if it's connected? Probably not.... but..... always curious!