Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unusual battery drain parked at airport

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I parked at the airport for 3.5 days this week. When I got back to my car, it had lost 15% charge (81 -> 66). I was expecting a loss of only 1 or 2% each day.

I confirmed that sentry mode was off and nothing else obvious ( like dog mode ) was being used, so it's a mystery to me ( also verified no recordings on my USB). Any thoughts?

Since then, it's been parked at home now for about 18 hours and only lost 1%.

Yep, I’ve had the same issue on a few different occasions; very unsettling. I guess the drain is put into focus in an multi-day airport parking situation. Lost like 20 miles in a day. Making sure the Tesla app was closed on my phone slowed it down a bit but over a 4 day trip I went from 220 miles to like 160. Sentry was off, which also negates an ideal use case at the airport parking lot...

Also experiencee this. Went on holidays with 350 kms. Came home and the vehicle had less than 30kms on it. It was parked in a somewhat heated garage. So I have been leaving it u unplugged at night and I have been loosing 20-30 kms a night. If I where to of left the vehicle parked at the airport it would of been at zero in a week. Called Tesla and said that they were going to send a service tech to look at it. That was about 2 weeks ago. They havent called to schedule an appointment yet. A year ago same weather I would loose about 20 kms over a week. Not a night. It has to be one of these updates that changed things for us.

With everything turned off any estimates for how much MX battery will drain per day?

Hopefully taking delivery of new MX LR soon and will be leaving at airport for 16 days over holidays; really do not want to return to a dead car!

With everything turned off any estimates for how much MX battery will drain per day?

Hopefully taking delivery of new MX LR soon and will be leaving at airport for 16 days over holidays; really do not want to return to a dead car!
Try to find a parking lot that you can call and ask them to plug it in for you a day or two before you come back. There is a place near the JFK airport that does that. It’s 120V but good enough to keep it at a decent % if it’s done a few days in advance to your return.

Thanks for the tips--I saw the Smart Summon Standby option added a few updates ago, but assumed that it would be low battery draw since it was defaulting to ON. The screen text could be more clear about it being active all time. I'll try turning it off.

Smart Summon has the biggest battery draw, next comes Sentry and then cabin overheat protection.

Thanks for this tip guys. I have the model S and my wife has the model X. Since the last update my car has had battery drain of about 10 miles while I am parked at work for 9 hours. This only started happening since the big update when theater and spotify and summon thing was added. But I thought it was the spotify not turning off. So found this thread very helpful. Thanks again!

I think the spec is 1-2%, I think most folks get closer to 1-2 miles a day. I’ve seen less than 1 mile a day (only a 3 day test). No apps. Checked half a dozen times over that period. Temp was probably 50F, in garage. SOC was like 70%.

DF41D640-FDF9-4596-AF1B-0ACB4507D8B7.png
View attachment 484119
Range Friday morning to Monday morning (this morning) at the airport, 67 miles away from home. 183 to 149 miles. App was off and Sentry mode off (still annoys me how I can’t use Sentry mode in a situation it is made for). What’s more, got home with 55 miles left. Range loss in 35 degree weather is real, lol.

Attachments

• C5DDDE42-DA06-4FC8-96D2-A2C23FDC762F.png
    C5DDDE42-DA06-4FC8-96D2-A2C23FDC762F.png
    1 MB · Views: 70
Last edited:
View attachment 484118
View attachment 484119
Range Friday morning to Monday morning (this morning) at the airport, 67 miles away from home. 183 to 149 miles. App was off and Sentry mode off (still annoys me how I can’t use Sentry mode in a situation it is made for). What’s more, got home with 55 miles left. Range loss in 35 degree weather is real, lol.

Was Summon Standby Off as well?