Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unusual battery numbers on an ‘18 X 100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know how many KWH are actually available to the 2018 X 100D? I’ve got 23.5K miles on mine, and over the past few days I’ve noticed something strange (I’m currently on a 1000 mile road trip spread over 5 days).

Two days ago I charged my car to 80%. I drove 98 miles over the 2 days, and it said I used 35 KWH to do so. However, my battery showed 24%, a 56% loss. Even assuming my car only has 90 KWH accessible, thats a 56% loss for 35KWH of driving. I thought I had something driving huge phantom drain but then Today I charged to 90%, drove 24 miles, and it showed I had used 7.7 kWh and my battery was at 80% (instead of the 82% I was expecting). If I lose 2% every 10, that would mean I really only have 80 KWH available to me, right?

The numbers don’t seem to be adding up - my cars only showing me a rated range of 276, which seems like almost a 8% drop in just 2 years.

Is this all normal or should I take it into service?

The numbers don’t seem to be adding up - my cars only showing me a rated range of 276, which seems like almost a 8% drop in just 2 years.
Is this all normal or should I take it into service?
Maybe a little below average. Rule of thumb is 5% first year and then much slower. 0.5-1% (?) each year after that. I get 285 on my July 2017 X 100D. I don't think you can do the math on short trips and extrapolate.

I'd charge to 99.X% or 100% (ie. balance some and let the estimation algo know the top end) and drive it immediately down to 80% or so and see how it does.

The easiest way to check your current rated range is to open up your Tesla app on your phone, click the Charging button, and slide the slider all the way to the right, pretending to set the charge limit to 100%. It should indicate (on iOS anyways) what your range would be if it were charged to 100%, even if you don't actually charge it.

Note, however, that this number will changes on a day-to-day basis, based on the real time charge capacity inferred by the batter management sensors. Use an app like Stats or TeslaFi to track this over time.

On a related note, your loss of range is enviable - from my perspective at least! I just picked up a CPO 2017 100D with 80k miles, which has a current rated capacity of 258 miles, and varies based on data from stats from between 257 to 263 miles. This represents an ~87% remaining capacity based on the 295 miles of original range, or a ~13% degradation.

Some people have suggested driving until your change is <20% (and others have said <8%, though I have not tried this), and then charge up to just over 90% and let it sit there for a while, to let the battery management balance out the individual cells. I tried this, and it didn't seem to make a difference at all. It's a major bummer to have so much range loss. The vehicle was a lease return, so I imagine the previous lessees didn't care at all about the battery and charged to 100% all the time (especially given the large number of miles for a 2017), which as we all know is not good for the battery. I did get a good deal on it, however, so overall I'm still reasonably happy.

Reactions: scottf200
I also have a July 2017 X 100D and a max charge shows anywhere from 269 to 279 (it varies quite a bit). Wasn’t the original EPA rating for our cars 285? I’m amazed you can charge that high after three years!
I think the EPA is 295. Window sticker below. I am above average and pretty happy with that. I charge to 70% nightly but I road trip a fair amount and supercharge. I bought it as a service loaner with 4K miles on it so I don't know how it was treated then.

40% supercharge / 60% home (AC) - ScanMyTesla screen.
Qu9JgZJ.jpg

nFU7rdB.jpg

T2cUXit.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: VikH