Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unusual behavior: automatic lowering after leaving vehicle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car has always done this. I am pretty sure they all did. It was tougher to notice before (it was very slight, and usually I wouldn't notice it), but now it makes a noise too so it is much easier to realize when it is doing it.

my guess is that before the noise was introduced, it would have done it before or after I was looking, and I only occasionally noticed it. Now I hear it, so I know it's happening even if I'm not looking.

What I was told by service people is car has always leveled itself after being parked. Change in 5.9 is there used to be a 2 minute delay after last door was closed before car would level itself, which was eliminated in 5.9. With 5.9, leveling happens right after last door is closed.

What I was told by service people is car has always leveled itself after being parked. Change in 5.9 is there used to be a 2 minute delay after last door was closed before car would level itself, which was eliminated in 5.9. With 5.9, leveling happens right after last door is closed.

I told you it always happened. I probably just always took my time plugging the car in and then staring in awe at it's beauty and still trying to believe the fact that I have this parked in my garage for 2 minutes before going inside which is why I noticed it before.

I told you it always happened.
Let's assume for a moment that the information that hikerockies reported is correct.

That still makes others correct as well. Many (most? all?) people that were observing the change in behavior made note of a change in behavior immediately when exiting the vehicle not "some time after they've exited". As such, those people are absolutely correct if hike's information is correct.

I observed a couple of weeks ago that the auto-level setting is a per-profile setting. I happen to have another profile just for getting out of the car and noticed the car would lower back from Very High to normal after switching to that profile. So now I had both profiles set to the same Always Low setting and no longer see the ride height changing any more when switching between those two profiles.

This actually became a problem for me today. My car didn't do it before 5.9 and today it lowered itself onto one of those parking stops. One of the medal rods was sticking up slightly and when my car lowered itself it lowered itself on that rod. I didn't notice it until I got back in my car and pulled out. It pulled on the bumper and I could hear it snap back and scratch :crying:

No visible damage, just damage to my nerves.

I want to clean my wheel well area and need to have it stay it the very high mode. Does anyone know if I raise the car to very high and leave the key fob in the car will the car still self level after I shut the door.

I've left it at high setting and it was still high when I came back (It auto-leveled, but at the high setting). Didn't leave the fob in the car though.

I want to clean my wheel well area and need to have it stay it the very high mode. Does anyone know if I raise the car to very high and leave the key fob in the car will the car still self level after I shut the door.

There's a setting to disable auto leveling while parked. It's called jack mode. (Look for the "jack" button under the suspension setting, on the driving control page.)