Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unusual Charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just use scheduled charging in the Tesla App, have off peak end time set to 7am on weekdays and a departure set at 745am and set my charging to 80%. I only turn on the precondition if I know I'm actually going out at 745am (days I have to go to the office to work), otherwise the precondition is off but the departure is still set at 745am. Usually the car is sitting at 79-80% and ready to go.

Today I check on the app and at 810am it says charging, vehicle is still at 71% and it shows charging at 11kw, +0kwh, 48/48A, 234V, the green lightning bolt was by the battery percentage and the orange battery warming lines were displays and the vehicle showed charging with 1 hour 10min to charge limit.

Its 0C today, definitely not cold for this place. My question is why would the vehicle not have been charged for 745am as it usually always is, and why does it show 11kw charging rate but +0kwh? I get it may be warming the battery with the power and not getting a charge but its always been fine as scheduled and we've been -20 to -30C the past few weeks so this is a tropical day here for us.

Any thoughts?

UPDATE: Thought I should add the vehicle was home and plugged in around 630pm last night at around 70% charge, so this isn't an issue where the vehicle didn't have enough time to charge to 80% by 7am as set. It likely needed about an hour to get to 80% so it should have started charging around 6am or so.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221230_093921_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20221230_093921_Tesla.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
So interesting update. I turned on the wall charger wifi, connected to it and there was an alert. Going into it it says "High ground resistance detected, charging disabled". This was 01:18am on December 20. I plugged in the car again, started the charge and everything looks like its charging but still says +0kwh.

I turned off the breaker, turned it back on and still get the same. Any thoughts? Charger has been installed since August never had an issue. I have 2 chargers, the other is fine. I do see this charger has the new firmware, 22.41.2, whereas my other charger (this is working) is still 22.36.1.

well looks like its not that, i plugged it in tonight and still the did the same. Once the battery warming lights went out after about 15 minutes it started charging at 70km/hr as normal. So i'm guessing it was the cold battery I just don't understand why at 0C today, an hour after the car was to be charged, it was still warming the battery and hadnt accepted the charge when on -20C days it was fine at 7am as scheduled. Weird.

I don't know if this is what is causing your issue, but it may be possible, especially in Winter with a lot of overcast skies. The charging schedule or a custom amp setting if you turn it down is a memory setting created and tagged to a certain GPS location. This is practical as far as you want to have a schedule at home, but if you drive to work and plug in, you don't want it sitting there waiting for that same overnight schedule.

What happened to my old Model S again last night has happened a few times over the last few months when it's cloudy and rainy. The car's GPS is having a hard time getting a solid signal, so it thinks the car's position is a few blocks away, so it doesn't pick up that it's actually at my house and won't follow my scheduled charge start time.